Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I got a few records this week at the SA.

View attachment 1019806
Also got this Dual 1229 at a tag sale today for $30. It works and needs work, has a Shure M91 with a Hi track stylus in what appears to be good condition.

I love the Bossa Nova stuff. One of my exes is Brazilian, and I didn't appreciate bossa nova more than after it was over. If captures the joie de vivre they have.

Denon DP30L direct drive tt.It has been at least three to four years since I found a decent thrift tt so I decided to pick this up.Appears to function correctly ,has a stylus and I don't know what cart is on it.Looks to be factory.$24.99.This is a heavy table.Also a Onkyo Integra A8170 int amp @80wpc.It functioned on testing with headphones then the speaker selector knob started spinning when worked.I don't think it will be a problem.Yard sale find @$20.

I restarted my turntable love with a Denon DP30L. I had already bought and framed a few records, and decided I wanted to hear them. The DP30L was so much better than I expected. I then put a Stanton 680xxx and rediscovered my original keeper record collection that I didn't sell off when I unloaded all my gear. Then my sister gave me hers (which was made up of a large part, by records I gave her when i unloaded the records). And that was the start of it! I realize now that it was the quality of the phono preamp that makes records sound really good or not. A lot of receivers had really crappy phono stages. Including all of mine until I got my NAD 7240PE back in 1988. I rediscovered my record collection then too!

A Stanton would be a nice match for that DP-30. I loved selling those with a DL-110 high output moving coil, a Yamaha receiver, a Nak 480 cassette, and some ADS 810s. Ran around $1700 or back then for all of that.

s-l1000.jpg

2 cd set at GW . Can't get enuff of this stuff .

Nothing spectacular lately, but here are two finds I like: a pair of B&W DM4's (painted black but it's actually well done so I'll keep 'm like that) that were rather cheap. But as one of the Coles 4001 tweeters didn't work it took some time (and money) to source another one, adding considerably to the costs. Oh well, they sound good.
And a very dirty Akai AA-R20 receiver that needed some elbowgrease but came out nice.

dm-4-1.jpg

r20-1.jpg

I got a few records this week at the SA.

View attachment 1019806
View attachment 1019807

This poster was in one of them. Looks like some good shows.
View attachment 1019809
View attachment 1019810

Also got this Dual 1229 at a tag sale today for $30. It works and needs work, has a Shure M91 with a Hi track stylus in what appears to be good condition.
View attachment 1019811
View attachment 1019812

I saw Wishbone Ash at the Iron Horse a couple of years ago. We were right next to the stage. Pretty packed quarters but fun.

I love the Bossa Nova stuff. One of my exes is Brazilian, and I didn't appreciate bossa nova more than after it was over. If captures the joie de vivre they have.

I restarted my turntable love with a Denon DP30L. I had already bought and framed a few records, and decided I wanted to hear them. The DP30L was so much better than I expected. I then put a Stanton 680xxx and rediscovered my original keeper record collection that I didn't sell off when I unloaded all my gear. Then my sister gave me hers (which was made up of a large part, by records I gave her when i unloaded the records). And that was the start of it! I realize now that it was the quality of the phono preamp that makes records sound really good or not. A lot of receivers had really crappy phono stages. Including all of mine until I got my NAD 7240PE back in 1988. I rediscovered my record collection then too!
A Stanton would be a nice match for that DP-30. I loved selling those with a DL-110 high output moving coil, a Yamaha receiver, a Nak 480 cassette, and some ADS 810s. Ran around $1700 or back then for all of that.
Thanks for the Stanton recommendation.I was spinning this and it does sound pretty good but I think it could use a new cart, styli and perhaps a bit of tweaking.This may push another tt out for my third string table.I was surprised at the weight of this table.

Nothing spectacular lately, but here are two finds I like: a pair of B&W DM4's (painted black but it's actually well done so I'll keep 'm like that) that were rather cheap. But as one of the Coles 4001 tweeters didn't work it took some time (and money) to source another one, adding considerably to the costs. Oh well, they sound good.
And a very dirty Akai AA-R20 receiver that needed some elbowgrease but came out nice.

dm-4-1.jpg

I found a pair of these couple years back in teak.
The coles seem to work fine but one of the Celestion HF1300 has given up-the VC is broken.
Trying to source a 16ohm version is damn near impossible
where'd you source the Cole?

I found a pair of these couple years back in teak.
The coles seem to work fine but one of the Celestion HF1300 has given up-the VC is broken.
Trying to source a 16ohm version is damn near impossible
where'd you source the Cole?

Put up an ad on our national Craigslist ('Marktplaats') and someone answered. As a plan B, Falcon Acoustics (UK) offers an exact replacement. At a price... The Celestion HF1300 is harder to find, no replacements AFAIK. So just keep searching Craigslist and/or ebay. Not very helpfull, I know. Sorry!

Put up an ad on our national Craigslist ('Marktplaats') and someone answered. As a plan B, Falcon Acoustics (UK) offers an exact replacement. At a price... The Celestion HF1300 is harder to find, no replacements AFAIK. So just keep searching Craigslist and/or ebay. Not very helpfull, I know. Sorry!
thanks
I have all the bits and pieces for the HF1300, it just needs the VC rewound. guy in France sells em but only for the 8ohm version. For the life of me I can't really see any difference in the two 8vs16, except the 16 has a bigger magnet

Seem Coles Acoustics(UK) has a new style 16ohm but I'm afraid to know that price

I found these today at a local thrift.
While I was looks at the LP's the clerk said to me "I have some 45's you are interested."
So I took a look.
They were on various 45's.
I pulled them off and asked how much for the lot.
I had not seen these before, since I do not normally look for 45's.
I did happen to buy some of the 45's as well.

I think I will put these up on Barter town, since I do not need 20+ of these. :)

P1090079.JPG

I have a pair of those exact ones. I bought them like 15 years ago at Bombay Company. They have been my living room speaker stands ever since. They’ve been great and still going strong!

I picked this up a few weeks ago at a local thrift.
Best looking CD holding furniture I have seen.
It opens on two sides, it holds approx 250 cd's

The wife loves it. :)
So she requisitioned it for HER cd's. :D
View attachment 1020705
View attachment 1020706

I found these today at a local thrift.
While I was looks at the LP's the clerk said to me "I have some 45's you are interested."
So I took a look.
They were on various 45's.
I pulled them off and asked how much for the lot.
I had not seen these before, since I do not normally look for 45's.
I did happen to buy some of the 45's as well.

I think I will put these up on Barter town, since I do not need 20+ of these. :)

View attachment 1020900
You mean like these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-100-YEL...761763&hash=item3d44d8b9e5:g:GWcAAOSwjKFZQCQN

Back
Top Bottom