Show your Bicycle !

Got my dream bike 11 years ago, a Litespeed Classic with Shimano Dura Ace and Brooks titanium rail seat. Always wanted a Ti bike. My other bikes are a '72 Fuji Finest(catalog photo), bought used in 1976 and my everyday bike for 30 years. And a Specialized Sequoia for the gravel trails around my locale.Litespeed.jpg
FujFineL.jpg

1995 Sunn Vertik 2 & BMX Cruiser

36360217516_0fd6f80305_b.jpg

That raleigh is a 70s classic. Flat steel 20" wheels? Same as the Dragster Raleigh forks with that inverted dome cap on the fork top. 3 speed hub? I love that era, just a bit scared of folders back in the day.

^^ You're the one in black, I guess?
Velodrome cycling is bad ass! I'd really like to try it someday.

^^ You're the one in black, I guess?
Velodrome cycling is bad ass! I'd really like to try it someday.

yes, that's me. on a Fuji Track alu frame/carbon fork, with FFWD carbon disc on the back and no-name Chinese 88mm carbon aero front- some of the intensest, craziest fun i've ever had

Those Araya "red label" rims (post 142) bring back some memories. In the mid 80s a local racing team got some bikes with red label tubies. They took the wheels apart and were selling the rims for $2. So I spent $4.22 and taught myself how to build wheels with some Mavic hubs from a set of MA-40s that I had potato chipped the front rim from a crash(used to race local). My friend had the top-of-the-line self-centering Park truing stand which made things much easier. Super light rims (280ish grams) and still going strong.

Fantastic. Professional racers would race in my hometown too, through the park. I always wanted to but, so it goes... Probably next year I'm going to have to find some new tires for these. Mine are very old, but they still both hold air. 125psi. They are tight and fast. I'm worried how much it's gonna cost me.

S.J.

Those tubular wheel setups were something to feel ! My lightest pair was these Fiamme Ergal Gold Label (280 gr. IIRC), mounted on Campy small-flange hubs (36 hole) with DT double-butted spokes and Wolbert 300 gr. sew-ups. They weighed in at 2 1/2 pounds complete !

upload_2017-9-23_16-3-57.png

upload_2017-9-23_16-5-12.png

Switching from clinchers to tubies is like switching from skiing to snowboarding. Once you make the change, you never go back. In a strength to weight ratio, tubies win, just look at the cross sections of each. I think the same goes for the tubular tire vs tire/inner tube combo of a clincher. Havent kept up with latest/greatest for decades though.

Indeed ! IMHO, Clement Criterium Seta (230 gram SILK !) tires stood head and shoulders above all others as far as feel, resilience, and weight advantage went.
Back in those days, I spent a fair amount of my disposable income on silk tires and wool shorts & jerseys (Emily K, and Oliver "Butch" Martin were my favorites for merino wool riding gear).

So you remember the days before the nashbar catalogs with the hand drawn pictures. Ive got some Detto Pietro shoes. :)

Yes indeed !
We used to frequent Kopp`s Cyclery in Princeton NJ, in the days when both Dick Swann and Fred DeLong were there....now THAT was an experience ! :) That place was like Disneyland for cyclists, riders from all over the place would show up there, the parking lot was full of top-of-the-line bikes....Masi, Colnago, Olmo, Bottechia, Bianchi (in that funky green that they called "Celeste"), Schwinn Paramounts, Raleigh Pro`s, Teledyne Titans, customs from Jim Redcay, Tom Kellogg, tandems from the likes of Bob Jackson and Santana, you name it, it showed up at Kopp`s....
I really miss those days !

I still have the tubular rims for my 72 Fuji Finest. I may have to look at seeing if I can find any 27” tubular tires for it. You guys have reminded me how much fun they were.

Back
Top Bottom