Music Related Books

61N5d3BkOcL.jpg

Now reading:
"Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink" by Elvis Costello
He seems like a good guy, not the angry persona.
Half way through and i agree,all written in hindsight of course as at the time in UK he had a bad reputation as someone who started fights but allowed others to finish them for him.....literally.Was a violent scene though,post hippy dream,post punk and Thatcher in power.....

That Howlin Wolf book was great! Thanks to whoever recommended it to me :beerchug:

I listen to Classical while I read at night and enjoy learning as much as I can about what I like.
Each of those classical music books are very good.
I did my homework before selecting my reference library.

Tony Iommi is freaking hilarious. He's no scholar but that's not prerequisite to being entertaining.

What's That Sound? is the companion text to a free online History Of Rock course.
Coursera has something for almost everyone. I learned a lot from their Beethoven Piano Sonatas course.

21992872_2032921893605297_658229861794223697_o.jpg

Half way through and i agree,all written in hindsight of course as at the time in UK he had a bad reputation as someone who started fights but allowed others to finish them for him.....literally.Was a violent scene though,post hippy dream,post punk and Thatcher in power.....
While not a tell-all, he writes about his failings, including his failure with race relations. I was more interested in all the music and musicians he knows. His style is literate, but in an easy to read conversational flow. He (like me) agrees that "Goodbye Cruel World" is mediocre, and things picked with the brilliant "King of America".

I just read Noel Monk - Runnin With The Devil.

images

Entertaining read, with great insight on the personalities in the band. Some stupid moments, some a-hole moves, and somehow brilliant music was made. Good stuff.

At a book market in town today and picked up "The Lost Writings of JIM MORRISON".

Not sure what to expect, but thought that I might get some insight into his character that other sources have shared. This book is of his poems and diary shares.

From what I read, he saw himself as a poet first and an entertainer second, so that's another reason why I picked up this book.

Q

From time to time, I've thought to share some of Jim Morrison's poems. Like all writers, some results are brilliant, while others fall far short. Jim had his moments of enlightenment as do we all.

Shrill demented sparrows bark
The sun into being. They rule
dawn's Kingdom- The cars-

a rising chorus-Then
workmen's songs & hammers
The children of the schoolyard,
a hundred high voices,

complete the orchestration Jim Morrison

Q

When They Were Boys (The true story behind the Beatles' rise to the top)
by Larry Kane

This book covers the very early days of the Beatles starting in the late 50's as there just learning to play instruments,
some of the other bands they played in, and the early members before Ringo.

There are some good story's about the Liverpool music scene in the early 60's, and some wild tales of their first gigs in the Hamburg red light district.

I found this book a bit tedious and repetitive. It's a non-linear time progression. Each chapter on a different band member, manager, promoter, etc. resets back to the 50's and tells how each persons life intersected with the others. Too many times the author says "but more on that later."

When they were boys.jpg

Last edited:
"Sirens
Water
Rain & Thunder
Jet from the base
Hot searing insect cry
The frogs & crickets
Doors open & close
The smash of glass
The Soft Parade
An accident
Rustle of silk, nylon
Watering the dry grass
Fire
Bells
Rattlesnake, whistles, castanets
Lawn mower
Good Humour man
Skates & wagons
Bikes

Jim Morrisson

The Great Jazz and Pop Vocal Albums.JPG

Will Friedwald, the author, was never a favorite of mine - through his first few books I thought he was too clever, too arch. Then, around the time he wrote the book-length study of Sinatra recordings, "Sinatra! The Song Is You," my opinion changed. I think the Sinatra book is definitive on the man as recording artist, which is what I care about. Better still is 2010's "A Biographical Guide to The Great Jazz and Pop Singers." Turns out Friedwald is a superb short essayist. His latest looks at 50+ of the greatest jazz and pop (think American songbook, standards for the most part) albums. Each album is a jumping off point for consideration of the artist, and Friedwald is especially strong at explaining how the album selected fits in with the rest of the artist's work. Like the Biographical guide, it's a great book to dip in and out of. One of my two favorite music books this year.

s.

Men who go out on ships
To escape sin & the mire of cities
watch the placenta of evening stars
from the deck, on their backs
& cross the equator
& perform rituals to exhume the dead
dangerous initiations
To mark passage to new levels

To feel on the verge of exorcism
To the passage
To wait, or seek manhood