My very low budget tube rig

rudedogg

AK Member
i gotta say, i own a few nice tube systems, but my personal favorite is this $3 console pull, Consonance Basie preamp, and a very ancient ss Mac cdp. I have very little invested in this setup, and i think it trounces some of my much more expensive gear handily. I switch my systems around constantly, but keep coming back to this little rig. Running these into Fostex equipped Metronomes is simply magical!
This proves you do not need to spend much dough to get fantastic sound, just synergy between components.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 306
What music do listen to most?
With this setup, i listen mostly to softer rock/blues type music...no metal on those little 4" drivers! (At least i have not tried that yet) i listen to Dave Matthews Band, Diana Krall, Dire Straights, ( anything with a "D" first! ) Natalie Merchant etc. it produces a very open and holographic sound. The little Stromberg Carlson single ended amp is fantastic, however if pushed to it's limits it becomes somewhat grainy..

Mine, which is what I currently listen too, consists of a modified RCA RS-177 tube amp, with a Denon DCD-1500 CDP with variable output & OEM remote control connected to a pair of EMI model 319 speakers. Grand total for all? a tad shy of a Benjamin

Mine, which is what I currently listen too, consists of a modified RCA RS-177 tube amp, with a Denon DCD-1500 CDP with variable output & OEM remote control connected to a pair of EMI model 319 speakers. Grand total for all? a tad shy of a Benjamin
Love that Denon 1500. I had one for awhile with the rosewood sides. Sold it in a small purge and miss it! I think the little console amps, especially the EL84 ones, are simple and fantastic machines. I recap them and add the necessary hardware for standalone use myself. I have many tube integrateds, HK, Scott, Sherwood, Lafayette, power amps as well, Dynaco, Yaqin, etc.. But the console pulls with the low parts count and shorter signal path truly amaze me. I am going to do a major purge very soon! I will keep a couple good amps, preamps, and sets of speakers.
I am beginning to think the hoarding becomes a disease, and takes away from just enjoying the music.

I am going to do a major purge very soon! I will keep a couple good amps, preamps, and sets of speakers.

I am beginning to think the hoarding becomes a disease, and takes away from just enjoying the music.

I hear you, I got there about a year or so ago.

Like it. When the pieces work well together it does not matter what they cost or what name is on them.
The fact that you are not into them for a lot of money makes it even cooler.

what plans did U use?
Is there internal baffeling?
I cannot answer that question honestly. I recieved these and a pair of similar styled "Voight Pipes" with Mark Audio drivers as part of a gear swap. I did not build them myself. I did feel into the ports on the bottom and there is some dampening insulation inside the cabinets. The bass they produce is rather shocking, maybe not 30 hz, but enough to get listeners to ask where the bass is coming from. The Voight Pipes also have removable floor spikes installed. The Metronomes just have rubber feet.

thanks rudedogg. Of course you couldnt know internals of them not having built them yourself.
I am still deciding if I want to build them or not. It looks very complicated.
I need to do more research or find someone who can read the plans and make them.

thanks rudedogg. Of course you couldnt know internals of them not having built them yourself.
I am still deciding if I want to build them or not. It looks very complicated.
I need to do more research or find someone who can read the plans and make them.
You will enjoy them if you do decide on a pair. I really like them on low powered tube amps. The Mark Audio equipped pair i am less impressed with, but they are still pretty good. I think the Fostex drivers are remarkable little full rangers, very holographic little speakers. Maybe the slight delay of sound coming out of the bottom of the towers along with the front projection creates the magic??? I am eventually going to build a set of rear loaded horns with the bigger 8" Fostex drivers with the "whizzer" cones. If they sound better than the Metronomes, i may sell off most of my multi-driver speakers!

I'm partial to the Fostex back loaded horns having built these Frugal Horns Mk3 a few years ago. There's a thread at diyaudio on these horns that's been active for over 7 years.

P3040010.JPG

Paired with a single ended flea watt amp like the Stromburg Carlson the Fostex Fe126En is a better choice than the far less efficient Mark Audio drivers. The FE126En is 93 dbs which is incredible high

for a 4.5 inch full range driver but on top of that you gain some extra mechanical sensitivity with a horn enclosure. It's probably the most popular driver for back loaded horns.

The larger Fostex drivers won't have the same micro detail as the 4 inch models but the sound will be fuller.

I'm partial to the Fostex back loaded horns having built these Frugal Horns Mk3 a few years ago. There's a thread at diyaudio on these horns that's been active for over 7 years.

View attachment 1021698
Those are beautiful! I have been scanning Madisounds kits. I also saw a set if the 206en's i believe on BT new in box recently and let them slip away!
My Xmas present to me will be one of those kits

Back
Top Bottom