How much have you invested in your audio set up? Show photos.

If you have not heard of Rhiannon Giddens
Fairly new artist started as (Carolina Chocolate Drops) then she started to separate
Rhiannon Giddens and the Carolina Chocolate Drops
Now just Rhiannon Giddens

Ok. I'm giving all your details to my wife! I should advise you may get a snarky note about me bringing too much viny into the house. You've been warned ;)

Between home Hi Fi and PA gear I have everything insured on a sub policy on my homeowners for just north of $60,000.00. 90% for the PA...which for playing recorded music sounds almost holographic in the right acoustic space outdoors..consists of Meyer, Powersoft, and QSC gear,

I’m 65 and it sounds like we have similar great tat it you need help with Crown I’m your guy teamed at tree factrory has there A rating they stil see me parts under a grand dad discount
I'm gonna try and translate what you said because it sounds interesting. You must be trying to type this on a phone! Tell me how close I got:

"I'm 65 and it sounds like we have similar great taste. If you need help with Crown I'm your guy. Learned at the factory. Have their 'A' rating. They still sell me parts under a grand-fathered discount."

Thanks!

Some day I plan to create a list for my wife as a guide when I'm gone or no longer able to give a damn. I told her I'll list what I paid and give a guide to what each item is worth today as help for selling off what she doesn't want to keep. Until then . . . I have no idea of a total I paid, or what it's worth.

I'm 64 and have had JBLs in my house since I was 4-years-old. Still have that one . . . and now well over a dozen other pairs plus some other brands. To my original Crown amp purchased in 1971 I've added another dozen-or-more Crown amps, pre-amps, crossovers, and tuners. I purchased my original Soundcraftsmen Pre-EQ around 1976 and still have that one and probably a dozen other SC components including pre-EQ, pre, pre-tuner, EQ, and amps. I also still own my Nakamichi Dragon cassette purchased new (my wife was there at the time), and I have five turntables (dumped my first Thorens decades ago), Tandberg cassette, Adcom systems, some Rotel stuff purchased at a yard sale, and more I've likely tucked away that will re-surface next year when we move.

Interesting topic but I'm sure for every one of us who won't answer the question on purpose there are probably three others who can't even hazard a guess. And the rest are too busy listening to the music!
I'm betting your wife will give all that audio equipment away for pennies on the dollar, if that much. She'll be glad to get rid of all that clutter!

I'm betting your wife will give all that audio equipment away for pennies on the dollar, if that much. She'll be glad to get rid of all that clutter!
If she sells if for pennies on the dollars I told her it was worth when I got it, she'll be a wealthy woman! ;)

How much will you offer her for the Mac C20 I've owned since around 1968? :rflmao:

Trying not to think about that right now. How much? Probably too much, but the "you only live once" thing keeps biting me in the ass. It's only money, right? :confused:

Interesting answers. So many avoid divulging, usually with humor: wife might see thread, don't want to know, in denial, and others. But other threads asking basically the same question, give straightforward, detailed, itemized answers, with no joking evasions. Any idea why?

Last edited:
For my final system, I’ll be using JBL studio monitors from Kenrick Sound, NOS McIntosh amplifiers from Audio Classics, and a NIB McIntosh DAC. Total cost will be $40,000+.

Last edited:
Let’s talk cars I have trimmed down since I moved but now I have a 1988 525 is new mostly put the old areas now full and cooling also a real worn exsastet system what’s there now is all home band and shot I would like to go all SS 21/2”
I'm guessing what you have is either a 1988 528e or a 1989 525i (betting on the E34). No such thing as an '88 525, at least not made for the USA.

Something like 42-years in BMWCCA, including perhaps 3-terms as national president, ten years as Roundel managing editor, and founder of my local chapter. I've actually been a BMWMOA member a bit longer (1971).
:beerchug:

OK..., so just yesterday I got an Oppo 95 with the optional streaming stick for $350 lightly used (BIN on ebay). (I've never even seen a used unit offered with the streaming stick.)

This will replace the Yamaha DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-Audio that I paid $1,100 for ~15 years ago, that will go into my retro stereo room. (Yeah SACD is not retro, but I'm not about to give up the sound quality.)

So..., which do you count toward $$$ spent on the system?

Thanks for the description.

Hate to tell you but neither your head-unit or the original speakers were Blaupunkt. Speakers were likely ITT, especially if you had the hi-fi sound option with the two-ways on the rear deck. Head units were normally either Alpine or Pioneer sourced, depending on which one you had. The "magic-slot" model was the worst. I've had several (and still have one) '87-'88 535is sticks. Great cars. My '87 has full Dinan suspension with Bilsteins, and M5 brakes. Mine now has a Sony CD in-place of the original with Polk MOMOs in the front speaker holes. No TRX for me, instead E39 16-inch BBS wheels with centering rings.

Now we're WAAAAY off topic!

Interesting answers. So many avoid divulging,
Because some like me think it's rude, if you where in my house asking what things cost I'd probably show you the door.

But other threads asking basically the same question, give straightforward, detailed, itemized answers, with no joking evasions. Any idea why?
I never really seen other threads asking for members to price their system.

I have seen members brag about how cheap they got something, like it's a badge of honor or something, kinda weird if you ask me. I have posted things that I was happy to get one way or another just to show what I'm doing, then to have members ask me what I paid, like that's an obligation to the post. I buy things I need or want for my system and don't feel the need to post threads here every time I spent a couple bucks on something and tell the world about it. If it's a unique piece I'll do a thread purely for the equipment and not any badge of honor.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: "I've spent a whole lot more on a whole lot less."
Not that I don't do my due diligence, but if I like it I'm probably going to buy it - and keep it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: "I've spent a whole lot more on a whole lot less."
Not that I don't do my due diligence, but if I like it I'm probably going to buy it - and keep it.
Glad we're not getting asked how much we spend on records, I know that for me has surpassed the equipment ten fold.

Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray/dvd player
Denon AVR888 HT receiver
SE tube amp (diy/kit)
SEAS Thor cherry cabs (diy/kit)
2-way bookshelf (diy)
Anarchy TH subs (diy/kit) (+minidsp+plate amps)
Sennheiser HD600 headphones

25+ years of building/tweaking/changing/putting system together.

Personal value -- (mostly) irreplaceable :)

Attachments

• cave_thor.jpg
    cave_thor.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom