Did you ever have a dream so vivid, you could not be sure if it was real?

Never. All my dreams are very dark to where I have trouble making out people. No one on the planet has more screwed up dreams than me. Nothing makes any sense, no meaningful afterthoughts. Last year I finally threw in the towel and went on Ambien so that I could first go to sleep before 3am, instead of reviewing every mistake of my life, and then be knocked out to eliminate dreams. Now the few things I remember are still just as dumb/demented as before. I hate sleeping, what a piss-poor flaw in the evolution of the human body, a complete waste of time.

Had a dream in black and white once, but *after* I woke up, I could remember the colors - it was an odd disjunct.

Never. All my dreams are very dark to where I have trouble making out people. No one on the planet has more screwed up dreams than me. Nothing makes any sense, no meaningful afterthoughts. Last year I finally threw in the towel and went on Ambien so that I could first go to sleep before 3am, instead of reviewing every mistake of my life, and then be knocked out to eliminate dreams. Now the few things I remember are still just as dumb/demented as before. I hate sleeping, what a piss-poor flaw in the evolution of the human body, a complete waste of time.
I wouldn't worry about them not making sense, they aren't supposed to make sense. People sometimes make some kind of sense out of them is all.

I'm with you one some of that though, getting to sleep before 3am is something I can only dream of most nights .....no pun intended. Sleep problems can be horrid sometimes, hope things improve for you.

Sleep tight everybody ...

2B3FC7F100000578-3192500-image-a-10_1439223347285.jpg

When I was in the hospital in 2012, I had Digoxin toxicity. Blurred and yellowed vision, and BAD BAD dreams that persisted upon waking.
My state was definitely altered. Thought the third shift was out to get me. A lot of the stuff I remember pretty well, even though in retrospect it's ludicrous, it seemed reasonable back then.

One of the more interesting, yet unsaid things back then was when it was revealed that a computer (repair or replace) fund collection had been taken, and my Dad was building to a surprise, and my unsaid thoughts were " they raised enough $ so that we could buy the whole hospital and burn it to the ground!!!"

When I was a teen, I had a dream where I was smoking cigarettes. I woke up and spent 10 minutes searching my room to find the pack.

I've never smoked.

Cool topic.

This is going to sound crazy, but....have you ever read any of the Carlos Castaneda books ?

The author talked about a spiritual realm that people can enter through lucid dreaming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

For a while, in the late 1980s, I experimented with this under the encouragement of a mentor. I was able (and it's okay if you don't believe) to take control of my dreaming to a certain degree.

I might talk about it a little more. There are too many people that think I'm nutso. I probably shouldn't talk about paranormal stuff.

The short answer to the OP's question is, yes, quite frequently.

my uncle has flashbacks from his 4 tours of SE asia and of late, each time in a dream, he has a mini stroke...he is convinced that if he loses the hand to hand he is in, he will die in his sleep.

When I was in the hospital in 2012, I had Digoxin toxicity. Blurred and yellowed vision, and BAD BAD dreams that persisted upon waking.
My state was definitely altered. Thought the third shift was out to get me. A lot of the stuff I remember pretty well, even though in retrospect it's ludicrous, it seemed reasonable back then.

One of the more interesting, yet unsaid things back then was when it was revealed that a computer (repair or replace) fund collection had been taken, and my Dad was building to a surprise, and my unsaid thoughts were " they raised enough $ so that we could buy the whole hospital and burn it to the ground!!!"
actually mark, it was to link your brain to the net behind a robust server and freeze dry the rest of ya! ;-)

I had a whopper last night. Seemed like a long, tense nightmare.
I had left for a business trip but came back early to find my wife with another man. I fought the guy, body slammed him, and basically pulverized him.
Quite the tense state.

One of my reoccuring themes is the Army dreams. Somehow, I'm back on some sort of active duty, usually trying to find the after hours mess hall after coming on post to sign in, then looking for my barracks and locker without a clue why I am there. Of course, all the barracks buildings look the same.
A variation has me getting ready to leave after packing my stuff for change of station or ETS, and keep finding stuff that didn't get packed when I'm supposed to leave.

Another common feature is unassisted flight, tho altitude and duration usually limited. My dreams are usually very sensationally realistic regardless of theme.
Some dreams get unpleasantly wierd, and sometimes, I know its a dream and I can just leave by waking or changing the dream. I may dream of waking, and the dream transitions.

Cool topic.

This is going to sound crazy, but....have you ever read any of the Carlos Castaneda books ?

The author talked about a spiritual realm that people can enter through lucid dreaming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

For a while, in the late 1980s, I experimented with this under the encouragement of a mentor. I was able (and it's okay if you don't believe) to take control of my dreaming to a certain degree.

I might talk about it a little more. There are too many people that think I'm nutso. I probably shouldn't talk about paranormal stuff.

The short answer to the OP's question is, yes, quite frequently.
I believe some folk can direct the path the dream takes, to different degrees :)

Haven't been able to do it myself.

Edit: Lucid dreams that is.

Last edited:
I like sleeping, and though I rarely get 8 hrs nonstop, I think I sleep pretty well... Being retired helps...
Ex military, I frequently dream that I'm back in the Pentagon trying to get somewhere for a meeting, but the hallways and stairs shape-shift until they are unrecognizable and I never really get to the meeting... Otherwise, in many dreams, I have to regularly cross through a some sort of tunnel or stairwell that is too small for me, like crawling.. Being somewhat claustrophobic, I assume this is my mind's way of playing with me... If things get truly weird, I have been able to decide to 'wake up', to end the sequence... Weird...

Back
Top Bottom