Your Favorite Solid State Power Amplifier

malden

Addicted Member
I'm looking for a good sounding, medium power solid state Power Amplifier that I can use to give my Dynaco Stereo 70 a break. My two favorite speakers for this particular system are JBL L77 (Lancer) and ADS L810A.

IME, Yamaha B-2 and Sony 5650 are VFET and sound the most tube-like. Tube-like is a relative term, these amps have a small serving of the magic whereas most SS have none. Accuphase E-202 is another candidate. Selectable Damping Factor slows down the show and is intended to match with horns. The lowest setting is in tube territory which gives the E-202 a small serving as well.

You want to know our favorite solid state power amp without any qualifications and that list is going to help you decide what medium power solid state power amp to get for your system? That doesn't seem to be much more than an exercise in getting folks to make a list of amps they like.

I would think that if you provided a list of criteria like power, you didn't specify for our response but did say you were thinking about a medium power unit, price range and any other qualifications that an amp would need to make your list, you will get a list you can use instead of a list of random amps. Extras might be meters some have to have meters or power LEDs, maybe an over power LED, protection relays to save the speakers in case of amp issues. Maybe you want some tube-like coloration in the sound.

Not my favorite, but my best sounding power amp is a McCormack DNA-1 to answer your title query almost correctly. If I had to pick an amp, one I haven't heard in 30 years, the Luxman 5M21 would the one.

IME, Yamaha B-2 and Sony 5650 are VFET and sound the most tube-like. Tube-like is a relative term, these amps have a small serving of the magic whereas most SS have none. Accuphase E-202 is another candidate. Selectable Damping Factor slows down the show and is intended to match with horns. The lowest setting is in tube territory which gives the E-202 a small serving as well.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm looking for Power Amps only, the Accuphase and Sony you mentioned seem to be integrated amps. I love the sound of my Stereo 70 with it's RCA 6CA7's but I would like to give it a break once in a while.

So a medium power (at or under 100 watts per channel) amplifier that would work well with my ADS L810A's. I'll save the JBL Lancers for the Stereo 70.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm looking for Power Amps only, the Accuphase and Sony you mentioned seem to be integrated amps. I love the sound of my Stereo 70 with it's RCA 6CA7's but I would like to give it a break once in a while.

So a medium power (at or under 100 watts per channel) amplifier that would work well with my ADS L810A's. I'll save the JBL Lancers for the Stereo 70.

McIntosh transformer coupled amps could fit the bill. Also, cap coupled amps are another design to investigate. These amps give the impression of warmth, if that even exists in the solid state world.

There are just so many options, and price points. Even the power rating opens a huge net of contenders.

But amplifiers from companies like PSE, Belles, McCormack, Audire, PS Audio, Rowland, Classe, and Proceed are ones I would look closely at. Even the Monarchy amps can be quite lovely.

It depends on how much you want to spend, It would be nice to know what pre-amp we are pairing this with also.

Regards
Mister Pig

I own both the 5650 and E-202 and agree whole heartedly. Never heard the B-2

My current favorite is the Museatex-Melior CAS-10, designed by Ed Meitner. It has a reputation as "tube-like", so might be a nice "halfway house" from your ST 70. 100 Watts, high-current, drives 2-ohm loads. Hard to find but affordable, like $300–400. $2.2K in 1990. Great bass, lots of grunt, soulful miss, clean highs. Maybe I like — nay, love — it so much is because it's a sublime match with my current mains, KEF Ref 101s. The best way to describe their collaboration is sheer beauty. It'll sound great in your foxhole...

There are just so many options, and price points. Even the power rating opens a huge net of contenders.

But amplifiers from companies like PSE, Belles, McCormack, Audire, PS Audio, Rowland, Classe, and Proceed are ones I would look closely at. Even the Monarchy amps can be quite lovely.

It depends on how much you want to spend, It would be nice to know what pre-amp we are pairing this with also.

Regards
Mister Pig

This is why I'm glad I asked, I have never heard of any of the amps you listed. Gives me something to research.

My main pre-amp is a Hafler DH 110.

McIntosh transformer coupled amps could fit the bill. Also, cap coupled amps are another design to investigate. These amps give the impression of warmth, if that even exists in the solid state world.

I have a early solid state Sherwood integrated amp that is cap coupled, the sound of which is very enjoyable. Any specific suggestions for Power Amps that are cap coupled?

Last edited:
I would think that if you provided a list of criteria like power, you didn't specify for our response but did say you were thinking about a medium power unit, price range and any other qualifications that an amp would need to make your list, you will get a list you can use instead of a list of random amps. Extras might be meters some have to have meters or power LEDs, maybe an over power LED, protection relays to save the speakers in case of amp issues. Maybe you want some tube-like coloration in the sound.

Not my favorite, but my best sounding power amp is a McCormack DNA-1 to answer your title query almost correctly. If I had to pick an amp, one I haven't heard in 30 years, the Luxman 5M21 would the one.

That McCormack looks to be quite substantial, maybe more than I need in terms of power.

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/520/index.html

Most of my listening is low to moderate levels in terms of volume. My budget would be + - $500.00 so used would be preferable.

Yes. Listening to the 1502 now. On my other systems I have 402s and 602s. Crown has mastered amplification.

This is very interesting, the Museatex-Melior CAS-10 @bimasta suggested. If I get one, I would install it with the heat-sink facing front, very cool looking.

4392-3.jpg

4392-6.jpg

Makes no difference to me. They sound good. This is where you start your own research. I mean it nicely. Too much exposure to these boards leads you down nebulous paths unless you ground yourself in your own preferences.

Back
Top Bottom