Insurance claim pending, need new speakers

No Money

So, moved about three kilometres to our new apartment the other week. During this short trip the movers managed to smash me Rega Jura's. They got hit so hard that the back came off one of the tweeters and was bouncing around inside the cabinet. Both cabinets have had some pretty nasty damage.

So, time to go shopping. I need something that is "compact" as we are in a smallish apartment now, so horns or monster towers aren't going to make it. Will have about $2-2,500 ish to play with. Any suggestions to shortlist? Will be running tube and sand amps at various times. Listen to a wide range of stuff, from classical to avant garde jazz to punk to, well, lots of stuff.

Would love a set of Harbeth 30.1's but a bit beyond my budget.

I'm currently using my Pro Ac Tablette 50's which are ok, but lack a little something, fullness, richness.

KEF LS50 are the only speaker I regret selling. They have a sweetness to them that I have yet to hear in other speakers. They're below your budget, but you could spend the rest on good stands and/or a sub. Or ditch your other amps and get the LS50 Wireless and enjoy the simplicity of your new setup.

Last edited:
The new stand mounted Andrew Jones coaxial with woofer for $2.5K from ELAC would be a good one. Sonics well in excess of the price tag and not too big. I'm with you though - the Harbeth 30.2's are excellent! The LS50 recommend from Rex81 is a good one too.

The KEF's are interesting, I have heard them before, maybe need to go listen again. And Mr Jones ELAC's, yes I should check them out, I respect his work.

Maybe I will luck out on a good pair of second hand Harbeths, maybe.

With that sorta budget I'd probably give the Bryston Mini-A a listen,they seem to be in the same basic niche that the 30.1 fit in.
They're a bit smaller and a 3way vs. the 30.1 being a 2way,but they seem to have fairly similar specs beside those differences.

And for a bit more $$$ than the Mini-A I'd also consider their Mini-T speakers as well.
I'm pretty sure the Mini-T would still be less than a new pair of 30.1.
Though I'm not sure how they would compare to some used 30.1 pricewise.

Otherwise I'd also keep an eye out for a good deal on some used PMC or ATC monitors of this sort.

JM2¢ ~ Food for thought.

Bret P.

Last edited:
Have you already established with the insurance company how they will handle speaker replacement?

My job for 17 years was assessing the value of and quoting on home electronics for insurance companies. Some adjusters provide latitude and others go "by the book", adhering to the rule of "like kind and quality" (LKQ) replacement. Rarely has it been the case of an insured allowed to "go shopping". Most often adjusters use preferred vendors, relying on them to determine replacement. Just because that vendor may not be a dealer for the brand in question, or maybe not even a dealer at all but an insurance replacement company, does not mean they cannot get it.

There are also companies that do no replacement at all but just prepare replacement costs for an adjuster, Those companies usually use online sources and specs to arrive at their recommendations. In those cases, it is usually to establish the cost an insurance company is looking at to settle a claim. In other words, arrive at an ACV (actual cash value) which determines how much (depreciated value) they will give an insured in a "cash out".

If there's something in the Rega line now that is technically the replacement for what you had, they would probably love that as it fits the LKQ guideline. If nothing else, it establishes a cost and you can likely pick any pair (one pair not more) of your choice up to that value. If Rega does not offer something similar, obtaining quotes with comparable specs will usually satisfy an adjuster. That can work against an insured however because printed specs will not address the subtle nuances inherent in speakers. If an adjuster digs in their heals, it could be a bit of a battle so arming oneself with hard copies of anything such as test reports can be helpful.

Adjusters will mostly ignore original purchase prices unless the speakers were fairly new. Most often, people assume that that "direct replacement" refers to original purchase price - it does not. Adjusters go by what something does not how much it cost. Their logic which is true with a lot of their files, is that home electronics have gotten cheaper over time. But that can also work in reverse. If an insured can justify a more expensive pair of speakers as being the correct LKQ replacement, they have no option but to cover the cost. Another reason to have some form of printed evidence (ie: a letter from an dealer) to back up your claim.

Unless you know in advance what parameters the adjuster will use to fulfill replacement, I would not get my heart set on something then have the adjuster shoot you down. Most insurance companies allow up to a year for a contents claim to be settled. I have known it to happen where an adjuster will cave at the end of that time just to make the insured go away. But on the other hand, a few have not. Sometimes, an insured will go over an adjuster's head to a Claims Manager. That is no guarantee of success as that manager could easily side with the adjuster especially if that adjuster is "an old hand" at their job.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances (the adjuster considers you a pain in the neck), it has been my experience they have no problem with an insured upgrading - kicking in some of their own money to bet something better. As long as it is still speakers for speakers.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have spoken with the insurance company and they are happy with giving me a cheque for the equivalent from the current Rega range. It seems to be the preferred method in this part of the world.

I must say, I was surprised how easy it was. Not my usual experience.

Last edited:
Yesterday was interesting, firstly I made an apointment to listen to the ELAC AS 61 speakers. Arrive at the showroom to be told that they wont have any for a few weeks ... asked why they didn't tell me that when I made the appiontment the sales person just shrugged. I do love HK customer service sometimes.

Listened to some of the KEF range, thinking, thinking. Also went to the local B&W show room, spent a not unresonabile amount of time there some of the new 704 and 705 S2's. They sounded really nice with barely any time on them, be interested to hear them when they have broken in.

If I get some time today I'm going to head of to the famous Grancastle Building in Mong Kok. About 20 floors of Hi Fi :)

Just an vvvv FYI vvvv that dovetails nicely with my ^^^^ above ^^^^ comments.
Bryston happens to have an authorized dealer in HK: From the Bryston website.
EXN Audio Limited
Unit 25, 1/F, Wing Sum Factory Building No 2, 12-14 Sam Chuk St,
San Po Kong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Ph: 852-3792-0840

Now I have no idea if it's anywhere near the other HK stereo shops or not,but it does provide another possible source to check out.

HTH

Bret P.

Last edited:
Thanks Bret, will make contact with them and see if they have a showroom, some agents here don't and just supply shops.

Oh yeah,a couple other HK authorized dealers to check out:

Harbeth:
Garner Company
Mr. Peter Chan, Mr. Henry Chan
Unit 9, 5th Floor, Block 2, Nan Fung Industrial City, No. 18 Tin Hau Road, Tuen Mun, N.T. Hong Kong.
+(852) 2543 2789
+(852) 2466 7778

ATC:
Sound Concepts Limited
Room 704 Yee Kuk Ind Centre 555 Yee Kuk Street Cheung Sha Wan Kowloon Hong Kong

PMC:
Richcoln Co Ltd
5/F Siu On Centre 188 Lockhart Road
Hong Kong Wanchai
HK Tel: 00 852 2489 8068

It's easy enough to track down most any brands authorized dealers in HK.
Just visit the manufacturers website and search for them.
They usually have hotlinks & email addresses for these places as well.

Also keep in mind that sometimes dealers have great deals on lightly used stuff as well.
You know,trade-ins & demos and that sorta thing.

More food for thought ~ HTH.

Bret P.

Last edited:
Thanks Bret, will make contact with them and see if they have a showroom, some agents here don't and just supply shops.
Yeah,I can see that,if they cant help you I'm pretty sure they'll know where to send you.
I'll say this,HK sure seems like a great place to be into this hobby.

But I cant help but wonder what some of these places are like in terms of "local flavor" and all.
Good luck on the speaker hunt !

It'll be interesting to hear how this all plays out,be sure to keep us updated on all the details.

Bret P.

Last edited:
Oh yeah,a couple other HK authorized dealers to check out:

Harbeth:
Garner Company
Mr. Peter Chan, Mr. Henry Chan
Unit 9, 5th Floor, Block 2, Nan Fung Industrial City, No. 18 Tin Hau Road, Tuen Mun, N.T. Hong Kong.
+(852) 2543 2789
+(852) 2466 7778

ATC:
Sound Concepts Limited
Room 704 Yee Kuk Ind Centre 555 Yee Kuk Street Cheung Sha Wan Kowloon Hong Kong

PMC:
Richcoln Co Ltd
5/F Siu On Centre 188 Lockhart Road
Hong Kong Wanchai
HK Tel: 00 852 2489 8068

It's easy enough to track down most any brands authorized dealers in HK.
Just visit the manufacturers website and search for them.
They usually have hotlinks & email addresses for these places as well.

Also keep in mind that sometimes dealers have great deals on lightly used stuff as well.
You know,trade-ins & demos and that sorta thing.

More food for thought ~ HTH.

Bret P.

I'm heading to Sound Concepts tomorrow with any luck. Their showroom is in Central, only a couple of stops on the MTR from my place in Sai Ying Pun, and very near an excellent second hand dealer :)

Richcoln are genuine pains in the a@%e. They told me they had the ELAC speakers I was interested in in the showroom, and when I arrived at the time they had made the appointment for, nope. Seemed to actually have very little beyond some huge towers. Seemed to want me out of the place as fast as possible.

Thanks for the addresses. Definitely will keep you guys updated.

Interesting adventures in sound today, went to catch up with a friend before going to checkout a few places and when I told him about what I was doing he took me to visit a friend of his who hand builds SET amps and winds his own transformers. There where some absolute beauties in the shop, along with what I think I'm going to buy, a pair of gently used ELAC FS 407's that are almost in my price range. Going back with some CD's tomorrow to try them out a bit more. Their music selection tended more towards Canto Pop and Chinese Opera. Not a lot of Jazz ...

More tomorrow.

And more adventures in speaker shopping, went to one shop today and asked to listen to a couple of speakers. "I'm having lunch, come back later". OoooooKkkkkkkkkkay. Customer service of the day award there.

Went down a few floors, walked in and went Wooo Hooo. Talked to the person there. Nice guy. Cheapest speakers started at HK$150,000. (That's about US$20,000). Some huge VTL mono blocks and VPI turntables. Guy was very helpful, we talked for about 20 minutes, while I listened to some Rockport Lyra (I think) speakers via the aforementioned mono blocks and a source I couldn't quite make out. It. Was. Wonderful. I don't have a) the space and b) the money. But if I did ...

I would recommend the Audio Note K/Lx for your budget - the Audio Note dealer is in WanChai across from the Queen Victoria on Lockhart road. In my opinion sounds better than the Harbeth 30.1

It is a sealed acoustic suspension design but efficient. I'd try for the AN J/Lx but it might be over your budget - depends. Worth an audition. I run my AN E in this smallish HK apartment on the short wall and they sound very good surprisingly - I was worried about the E - but the high ceilings and concrete walls don't hurt at all.

http://www.elephant.com.hk/contactus.php

Have you already established with the insurance company how they will handle speaker replacement?

My job for 17 years was assessing the value of and quoting on home electronics for insurance companies. Some adjusters provide latitude and others go "by the book", adhering to the rule of "like kind and quality" (LKQ) replacement. Rarely has it been the case of an insured allowed to "go shopping". Most often adjusters use preferred vendors, relying on them to determine replacement. Just because that vendor may not be a dealer for the brand in question, or maybe not even a dealer at all but an insurance replacement company, does not mean they cannot get it.

There are also companies that do no replacement at all but just prepare replacement costs for an adjuster, Those companies usually use online sources and specs to arrive at their recommendations. In those cases, it is usually to establish the cost an insurance company is looking at to settle a claim. In other words, arrive at an ACV (actual cash value) which determines how much (depreciated value) they will give an insured in a "cash out".

If there's something in the Rega line now that is technically the replacement for what you had, they would probably love that as it fits the LKQ guideline. If nothing else, it establishes a cost and you can likely pick any pair (one pair not more) of your choice up to that value. If Rega does not offer something similar, obtaining quotes with comparable specs will usually satisfy an adjuster. That can work against an insured however because printed specs will not address the subtle nuances inherent in speakers. If an adjuster digs in their heals, it could be a bit of a battle so arming oneself with hard copies of anything such as test reports can be helpful.

Adjusters will mostly ignore original purchase prices unless the speakers were fairly new. Most often, people assume that that "direct replacement" refers to original purchase price - it does not. Adjusters go by what something does not how much it cost. Their logic which is true with a lot of their files, is that home electronics have gotten cheaper over time. But that can also work in reverse. If an insured can justify a more expensive pair of speakers as being the correct LKQ replacement, they have no option but to cover the cost. Another reason to have some form of printed evidence (ie: a letter from an dealer) to back up your claim.

Unless you know in advance what parameters the adjuster will use to fulfill replacement, I would not get my heart set on something then have the adjuster shoot you down. Most insurance companies allow up to a year for a contents claim to be settled. I have known it to happen where an adjuster will cave at the end of that time just to make the insured go away. But on the other hand, a few have not. Sometimes, an insured will go over an adjuster's head to a Claims Manager. That is no guarantee of success as that manager could easily side with the adjuster especially if that adjuster is "an old hand" at their job.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances (the adjuster considers you a pain in the neck), it has been my experience they have no problem with an insured upgrading - kicking in some of their own money to bet something better. As long as it is still speakers for speakers.

Good luck.

Can I ask you a question with regards to speaker replacement - what happens when you buy a speaker new - but the company say keeps making the same product but over the years the price increases. Audio Note for example keeps their product in continuous production for decades. So if you bought an AN E/Lx speaker for say $2000 20 years ago and now it sells for $5800 and they were broken - would the insurance company replace it with the - replacement - which is the AN E/Lx(2017)?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom