$1,000 Used Speakers - Recommendations

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Couple of notes:
- I live rurally, so do not have easy access to dealers
- The closest city (Winnipeg) has a limited set of dealers, many of which operate on restricted hours
- Our used market is understandably skinny
- Due to this, I do need to solicit opinions, as my hit or miss buy philosophy is not working
- Even when you do listen at the dealers, there is no guarantee it sounds the same with your gear in your space
- To maximize budget, used is the way I need to go
- I may end up needing to mail order or ship in speakers as the local used selection is so poor
- I mentioned 30s for LF - it would have been clearer if I had said sub 40.

For example, locally all there is in used B&W is a set of CDM 7, and a set of Prism bookshelves. In Kef, an overpriced set of Q900 and a set of old Q60. Generally there is little of merit on our Craigslist (Kijiji) so I'm left with Canuck Audio Mart, which usually has limited selection for Manitoba.

I have the Wharfedale Opus 2 m2 and really like them. They are bookshelves but the Opus 2-2 or the like are very fine towers. The ones below are not mine.

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5742.JPG

Dan

Well guys, spent a few minutes today checking out the suggestions, and it looks like I'll need to be a patient buyer.

Unfortunately, a number of the speakers mentioned here also retail used for much more than $1,000 in Canada.

Lots to keep my eyes open for.

The PSB Stratus Gold i would be my recommendation under a grand. Usually find them in the 800 dollar range.in Canada. I've also seen Mirage M3si's listed for about 1000 but you'll need a bit of space for them and they dont turn up often.

Is the post 2000 requirement just to keep people from recommending HPM 100s or is there a different reason for it?

Is the post 2000 requirement just to keep people from recommending HPM 100s or is there a different reason for it?

Had a good chuckle at this one. I actually refurbished an old set of HPM-40 back in the day, and really didn't like them very much. Actually had a guy locally offer me a set for my Soliloquy.

The post-2000 requirement is based on tweeters and aesthetics. Generally speaking, I have yet to listen to a vintage tweeter that I have enjoyed as much as the more modern designs and materials. However, before my thread gets flamed, yes, I know there are some good vintage tweeters, and yes, I know it is only my own ignorance keeping me from appreciating these.

But the aesthetic part is important as well, which means no big square box with big drivers in it. Keeping the width moderate (~10") and the looks modern is very important.

Also of note, Monitor Audio just put all Bronze speakers on for 25% off. Maybe a set of Bronze 5 or 6 would fit the bill.....

You might consider used Magneplanars, or even new MMGs, which have a factory-direct 60-day trial offer, satisfaction guaranteed.

I have the Monitor Audio Silver RX6 and I think they are very nice and fit your description of things you want.
Found mine used for the equivalent of 850$, they were (and still are) like new, the newer model had just come out, this was 2-3 years ago.

Thanks again folks. Interesting evening:

- A set of Tannoy Precision 6.2 came available for $1,000 locally. Any feedback? I'm trying to see if I can get to the guy's for a demo
- I have a set of Klipsch Synergy F-3 up FSOT. I was offered a set of JBL Studio 180 in trade. They sound as if they have possibilities, especially based on a Sound & Vision review.

A couple more comments on the above:
- Maggies are interesting, though I'd love to hear a set of them at some point in my life. Part of my biggest problem is I love bass and hate narrow listening sweet spots
- I saw the affordable Cantons at A4L, and also affordable JAMO at Amazon.com - trying to avoid the whole import thing however due to exchange and duty
- Heard Emit Infinities, and was not blown away. Heard Monitor Audio GX series ribbons and was blown away. Alas, too pricey, even in the secondary market. I actually prefer domes, but they have to be the right ones.
- Had a set of RX1 once, and liked them, though they were too small for the application. RX6 are not common here, and disappear quickly when they do show up.

Reference 3A Grand Veena, eh? A used set at Audio Eden costs $500 less than my daughter's 2005 X-Trail. LOL.

So many choices, a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls is a god place to start. Or avery rare pair of Bozak Symphony with B-200Z tweeters. The Boxaks will nedd 100 watts per speaker the klipsch at least 50 watts per speaker. Altec Model 19's or the professional equivalent. JBL made so many different models, maybe a pair of L300's, B&W 801's. The list could go on and on. A pair of B&O 5700 or 5702 or the Celestion equivalent. I liked Mcintosh XR-7 but they need 200 watts a channel and the small rom EQ. But then you'll have a speaker that is flat to 16 hz.

OK, so I have a few possible choices right now.

Option #1 - Trade in a set of Ohm Walsh 2, Klipsch Synergy F-3, and $300 for a piano black set of PSB Stratus Gold i
Option #2 - Buy a set of Tannoy Precision 6.2 in piano black for $1,000
Option #3 - Buy a new set of MA Bronze 5 for $850, taxes in

All options are interesting, and my long term plan was to eventually sell both the Ohms and Klipsch. As much as both have their merits, I can't put the Ohms in the room where they need to be, and I just cannot get used to the Klipsch horns (though the speakers were bought as an experiment anyways).

All three speakers are also described as having a sound signature I'd like, though the PSBs will be better in the bottom end, while the Tannoys will likely image better. The MAs are the worst value as they are new, and won't image or slam as well as either of the others.

Thoughts?

Option #4 - Buy a half price set of Cambridge Aero 6 for $677 taxes-in.

Edit: Going to go give the Cambridge a listen tonight. The ABR concept fascinates me, as I enjoyed that my Ohms are crossed high, and not in the 2kHz range.

Last edited:
Have you heard Energy RC-70's? Not uncommon under $1000. I haven't heard them but I definitely want to. Doubt you'd find any Veritas under 1k, but maybe close if you're lucky. I own a pair of Energy Connoisseur C-8 and won't part with them anytime soon...

Back
Top Bottom