today's 45 playlist

Another 45 I'm listening to this evening. One of five releases on the Jenmark label....one of three releases in total by the artist [one credited as Lonie Jones].

Despite the "corporate" look of the youtube clip, it's a vinyl rip....may in fact be one I made some 8-10 years ago.

Last edited:
Clip shows original release on the Farrall label out of Louisville, Kentucky....released nationally on Swan S-4144 in 1963.
As far as I know, the only release by Fannom Patrick...at least, under that name.

Last edited:
Such a beautiful tune...with basically no bottom end to it at all.
Issued in 1964. Local Detroit pressing is on the Thelma label ["Thelma" is Thelma Gordy, Berry Gordy's mother], national release on NPC [shown in the clip].
Emanuel Lasky [also Laskey] had twelve singles to his name.

Last edited:
Country night with the 45s:
Mark Chestnutt, "It ain't over (as long as I am not over you)"
Randy Travis, "Good intentions"

Two excellent quality recordings.

Dave Rich's third single, RCA 47-6595, from 1956.
Dave looks to have been pretty big in the mid to late 50s. He continued recording into the 70s.
25+ 7in releases to his name.
Must have played this record five times today.
Flip side ain't bad either.

From 1959, the a-side "Be Ever Wonderful" was a good sized hit. However, I much prefer the b-side.
Taylor had a prolific career until he tragically died in a car accident. Over 80 7in releases to his name.

To my mind, the original recording of "Shakin' All Over" by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates is close to being perfect.
Evidence being that almost all cover versions [which are numerous] are actually pretty close to the original 1960 tune.
Also, in a "shootout" situation, I doubt most would say that any of the cover versions actually trounce the original to the degree that it lessens the recording's power.

That said, I personally think Johnny Chester's version, released 6 months after the original in Australia, is a close second.

The clip below shows the Canadian pressing. I actually own the U.S. release on the somewhat mysterious Melbourne label.
The U.S. pressing wasn't issued until several years later after the W&G Australian release. This is likely true of the Canadian issue as well.
Apparently few were sold in the U.S.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom