Sansui SP-Z series. I´m interested in buying a pair. Which one?

prabie

Hello,

When I was a young man the sansui sp-z series speakers were objects of desire.

Today, 30 years later is it worth considering buying a pair?

Regards

Pete

Depends on what you are looking for. I heard a lot of Sansui speakers back in the day. They were fun. When I have listened today, they are just OK IMHO. If you can find some for little money, I say go for it and relive the good old days. But there are much better speakers out there. Again, this is JMHO

Last edited:
One of the first sets of speakers I picked up when I got into this hobby around 8 years ago was a set of the sp-z8's. Loud and very efficient. They had massive 17" woofers as I recall and too many other drivers to count! I thought the z8's sounded good until I got a set of KLH Model 6's which I was quick to recap and re-dope the cloth surrounds on. After that the Z8's went into hibernation and eventually were gifted to the teen age son of a friend. So back to the ops original question, it's gonna depend on what you're using them for. Party and loud, perfect. Otherwise, keep looking. My question to the op (who resides in Chile) Is there much choice in selection of quality speakers there? If not, the Z's would still be a viable option.

There are a couple of notable series of the Sansui speakers - the z series as you note and a series before it.

Some of these speakers sound great - and some absolutely terrible. I recommend you do a lot of research on the Sansui and Speaker forums on this site before committing to any of them.....

I had some SP-Z99s a few years ago and while they could play very loud without distorting there wasn't much else they did well.That must have been the case because they have been gone for a bit.

Thank you for your answers.

After considering the logistic complications and your opinions about the sound I rather prefer to discard the idea.

Thank you

Pete

I saved a pair of SPZ99's from the compactor. They are fine for the garage but I'm not sure I would pay a bunch of money for them. Free was GREAT!

Thank you for your answers.

After considering the logistic complications and your opinions about the sound I rather prefer to discard the idea.

Thank you

Pete

Logistics problem is one thing and is understandable, but listening opinions from other people are entirely different matter. Listening preference is totally subjective, and the only opinion that really matters is your own. I think part of the attraction to this vintage audio hobby is nostalgia - perhaps reliving a bygone era - going back to what had worked for YOU, not what had worked for someone else. If you had auditioned the Sansui SP-Z series speakers and liked it in the past, then I wouldn't necessarily rule it out if opportunity comes knocking locally.

Back
Top Bottom