Yamaha T-2 mini overhaul

Mr. Yamaha

Not so much Yamaha lately...
My T-2 needed some work because the power switch was creating a loud pop through the speakers when turned on and when turned off. It seems to be the power switch.

While I was in there, I saw some leaking caps with corroded legs, so I decided to give the T-2 a mini overhaul.

Including:
  • Replacement of all caps (all Nichicon KZ, FG and ES).
  • Replacement of the 3 rectifier diodes.
  • Upgrade the power switch to a Triac solution.
  • Resolder all connections.
  • Replace the fuses.
  • Cleaning of the switches.
So far I took out all boards which will be worked on and started with the caps.

More updates soon!

IMG_6698.JPG

IMG_6699.JPG

IMG_6700.JPG

IMG_6701.JPG

IMG_6915.JPG

IMG_6916.JPG

IMG_6917.JPG

Last edited:
Well,if you read it on the internet It must be true.:rolleyes:.Not very reliable...This gear is 30-35 years + old and still working. I'd say that they are very reliable.

Yes... Yamaha's are chucked full of 1S1555. I use hundreds of 1N4148's.

:p

So, not preventive replacing those?

And what about the 2SD476A's? Are they more reliable than the 2SD234's?

Yes... Yamaha's are chucked full of 1S1555. I use hundreds of 1N4148's.
When I rebuild burnt up channels in the M series amplifiers.Which I do quite a few of. It is not due to the diodes failing . But to shorted output transistors and uncontrolled B+/- stressing them to the point of failure .I've had way more zeners smoke than 1S1555's. Its just quicker for me to replace a pulled OEM diode with a new one with long leads, rather than try and fiddle with short stubby leads.That and personal piece of mind. Because of stressed circuitry. I know they have been subjected to voltages they weren't meant to be subjected to.

Made some progress this weekend. The main board and the upper digital board are done. I must say, I'm pretty happy with the looks of the Nichicon KZ / FG's.

All 'lytic caps and the rectifiers are replaced, all solder joints are renewed and all components which were awry placed, are re seated. Afterwards the boards were cleaned.

IMG_7037.JPG

IMG_7038.JPG

IMG_7039.JPG

IMG_7040.JPG

IMG_7041.JPG

IMG_7042.JPG

IMG_7043.JPG

IMG_7044.JPG

Very neat work :thumbsup:, that is one serious tuner, l have read good things about the T-2 but l have never heard one or seen the internals before. Looking forward to hearing how you think it sounds when you are done.

Very neat work :thumbsup:, that is one serious tuner, l have read good things about the T-2 but l have never heard one or seen the internals before. Looking forward to hearing how you think it sounds when you are done.

Yeah, it really sounds great. Let's hope it still does (or better) when it's finished :biggrin:

And that why there is a dedicated thread "cats on audio gear" on AK

miauw

Best thread on AK!

Beautiful work!

Thx!

Are those rectifiers at the bottom of your photo of the replaced caps? or something else?

I'd be curious to see a photo of how you wired the switch if you have one.

Are those rectifiers at the bottom of your photo of the replaced caps? or something else?

I'd be curious to see a photo of how you wired the switch if you have one.
Yes, those are the rectifiers. Sorry, I did not take a picture of the triac switch. I mounted it on the frame behind the transformer.

Back
Top Bottom