So a guy listed a pioneer 1280 for $300

Guy listed a pioneer 1280 for $300 on craigslist. I saw it an hour after it was posted. I sent the guy a text and he said I was in line and he would go down the line. I said, well, the truth is, that receiver is worth a few grand. He was like no way, I said, yeah, it's a nice one. Listing was gone a few moments later. I might have scooped it up for $300 but if I got there and the dude was in a trailer or something, I wouldn't have been able to do it. That kind of money could be life changing for someone.

pioneerstereoreceivermodelsx-1280_1.jpg

So what you're saying is that you kept the guy who was first in line from getting a good deal? The guy who would have used the profit from flipping it to keep the lights on and pay the rent on his trailer for a couple of months?

Your story would reflect better on you if you'd been first in line and paid him the going rate, or told him the going rate when you couldn't afford it, thereby sacrificing a bargain. As it is, you merely sacrificed someone else's opportunity for a bargain.

Last edited:
Will never understand people who do what you did. Why do you think it is your responsibility to do someones homework for them? They can't be bothered to take 30 seconds to check the value of something on ebay, that isn't anyone elses problem.

If he had turned around and said come over it's yours for 300 you wouldn't have told him what it was worth, truth is you just ruined someones score because you couldn't get it for 300, bad karma dude.

Yep ruined someones score. If you read what I said, it would hav depended on the guys situation. If he was some rich dude like many of you, yep would have not had a problem with it. The area he lived in from craigs list was poor.

Now, you can deride me all you want but both of you just said, screw thy neighbor, so don't take any damn hollier than thou position please. Cause holy you aren't.

Do you know that for fact? Maybe the seller is a man of integrity and sold it to the first guy for the advertised price. I like to believe there are still honest people in the world.

No, he took it down within one minute and he may be a man of integrity still. The only thing I can say is he isn't smart enough to do his homework. I got the impression he was a workin man.

Yep ruined someones score. If you read what I said, it would hav depended on the guys situation. If he was some rich dude like many of you, yep would have not had a problem with it. The area he lived in from craigs list was poor.

Now, you can deride me all you want but both of you just said, screw thy neighbor, so don't take any damn hollier than thou position please. Cause holy you aren't.

Nobody is screwing anyone. It all comes down to effort. Do you think I stopped the woman who dropped off a mint pair of Rogers LS3's besides the electronics bin at my local recycling place and told her she just put £1000 worth of speakers on the floor to be recycled? Hell no, she didn't bother to check what they were and that was her loss. I didn't screw her because I don't recall agreeing to inform every uneducated person as to the value of their stuff. How about the 8k wilson speakers I found a couple of weeks back, should I have told the guy to google the value of what he was dumping? I don't think so.
You just ruined someone score because you couldn't get it.

No, he took it down within one minute and he may be a man of integrity still. The only thing I can say is he isn't smart enough to do his homework. I got the impression he was a workin man.
So a working man isn't smart? You're not only wrong you're on very thin ice. I'm a retired carpenter with an IQ of 151. I also pulled 100% in English grades 9-12 so I easily understood what you wrote. How YOU doin?!? Then you say the seller has not done his homework and tell him it's worth a few grand??? They go for $1250 - $1400 around here in fully functional condition and that's Canadian funds where prices are generally higher than the US. A couple were up for sale this year posted at $1500 and $1750 but they didn't sell for that - the ads just expired and relisted for months.

A couple is defined as two or three - not necessarily just a pair: a few is defined as four or five (see the f) and several is defined as six or seven (see the s). So you told the guy it's worth four or five thousand when really $2000 would be full blown retail in excellent condition and hard to get. Then there's the fact that you actually post this thread and the subsequent remark. I do believe you were trying to help the guy with his price - without doing your own homework and after learning that it was already sold. I'd like to believe that your intent wasn't malicious towards the guy who got there first in order to mess up his score.

I do wonder if you had been first in line would you have scooped it for $300 or would you have given him "a few grand." Please tell us what you would have paid him. I will agree with one thing - there are people out there that definitely don't do their homework before posting on the net. I would include you in that group however I'm sure most of us have made uneducated posts at one time or another - it was just your turn today. I've done it too and was not exempt from an ensuing avalanche of critique.

When you imply that a working man isn't smart enough to do their homework you're going to piss off a lot of people. The working man builds this world and the rest just live in it.

Last edited:
"If he was some rich dude like many of you, yep would have not had a problem with it. The area he lived in from craigs list was poor."

So let's see if I understand your moral high horse. "Richies" deserve to be screwed because, well, they're rich and you're not. Poor people don't seem to know any better and well, they're poor, so your moral compass won't let you screw them.

Because someone has succeeded in life, they deserve to be punished whereas someone who is a less-fortunate, "working man" deserves your pitty.

Talk about a mixed up sense of morality. Kind of sums up much of society these days, however. Fortunately, I choose to treat everyone on an equal playing field. I don't see a problem with telling the seller he's undercutting the market - he obviously doesn't know what he has (well, now he does) but I would do that for anyone. I would also appreciate someone doing the same for me.

How about this,i saw a 1280 posted in the Chicago area about 3-4 weeks ago,Googled the picture,stolen picture from a years old ad.
Fake ass listing,and how much was it,$300.

Fast forward,just googled the pic from this thread,STOLEN pic from the vintage electronics site,likely been used there for years.
And how much are they just happen to be asking,$300.

Unless the OP used a pic that wasn't from the listing.
http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/pioneerstereoreceivermodelsx-1280.html

Last edited:
I'd agree with others, it seems a little iffy to send that kind of message *after* you've discovered you don't have a chance at something.

Coincidentally, I stumbled across something similar with a 1280 many years ago on CL back east (at the time a good 1280 was worth $500 - $750). Some guy posted one for $120. I caught it literally minutes after it was posted, and in my response hinted that it was worth more. Now it's up to him to decide if he wants to research the value, not respond, or whatever.

I got the unit, to his credit, he honored the deal.

bs

Here is the origin of that pic. http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/pioneerstereoreceivermodelsx-1280.html

It is literally the first hit on a Google image search. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean it was a scam. Lots of people use "stock photos". Of course best practices is to mention it is a stock photo, but not everyone follows best practices.

So you were bitter that you weren't first? Shame. Sorry, but that was a dick move. If you would have just quietly offered $600 or whatever that would have been a little better I think.

Back
Top Bottom