Most CRANKABLE Speakers

t j

Can anyone suggest a mid priced speaker good for ismply cranking Metal? I have a Pioneer Sx-1250 and a Technics TT. I need some durable loudspeakers that can take some abuse. All suggestions are appreciated...

:rockon::idea:.
I like to go with the Magnavox horn and 15" woofer vintage . Something about horns and metal when the mood hits.

Reactions: t j
Cerwin Vega D-9

If you don't mind the "pro" look, Peavey SP-2, or if you can find a pair SP-4. SP-3 is not in the same league, avoid them.

2nd.

I'd also throw Yamaha Club series in there. They can often be had reasonably. Yamaha S215 would be similar to the SP-4.

Here's Yamaha S215 atop JBL SR4719X.

IMG_0780.JPG

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest a mid priced speaker good for ismply cranking Metal? I have a Pioneer Sx-1250 and a Technics TT. I need some durable loudspeakers that can take some abuse. All suggestions are appreciated...
I would start looking at PA speakers if you want pure power-handling capacity, as others have already mentioned . I don't know what you mean by "mid-priced".

3rd on the CV D-9...
What is the room size? Reason for asking is when I had my D-9's, I could not get them far enough away from Turntable so I had to reduce the bass from flat to almost all the way down in order to crank them. My amp's sonic filter helped but could still see woofer bounce from feedback, mainly on silent or lower passes. The room size was probably 12 x 16 w/8' flat ceiling if I remember correctly.

Not saying this will happen with you, just mentioning my experience with my conditions

3rd on the CV D-9...
What is the room size? Reason for asking is when I had my D-9's, I could not get them far enough away from Turntable so I had to reduce the bass from flat to almost all the way down in order to crank them. My amp's sonic filter helped but could still see woofer bounce from feedback, mainly on silent or lower passes. The room size was probably 12 x 16 w/8' flat ceiling if I remember correctly.

Not saying this will happen with you, just mentioning my experience with my conditions
Room is about 20x20, with 8' flat ceiling. Thanks!

I would start looking at PA speakers if you want pure power-handling capacity, as others have already mentioned . I don't know what you mean by "mid-priced".
Will my Pioneer SX-1250 power pa speakers adequately?

I would think so, a lot of pro audio speakers are efficient, but you really have to look at the efficiency or sensitivity rating. The 1250 has a good amount of power so it would drive most speakers, you just have to use common sense with the volume knob. II'll 2nd the cerwin vega d-9's, also pioneer hpm-100 or 900, RtR 280dr's will blow the house down, RtR hpr-12m, dcm kx series, and pro audio speakers with large drivers.

Easy enough power to get loud.

It is not uncommon, however, for sound reinforcement speakers to be 4 ohms if you are queasy about that. But, then again, I think some of the non-pro speakers recommended are 4 ohms too.

Back
Top Bottom