Scored on a Yamaha RXZ-1

Did you ever have the RXV1?
That's one I wished I bought that and the dsp-a1 from what I have read from people who have owned all three say the sound signature of the RXZ-1 and those two are very similar, all legends in there own right though.

Audiofreak71

That's one I wished I bought that and the dsp-a1 from what I have read from people who have owned all three say the sound signature of the RXZ-1 and those two are very similar, all legends in there own right though.

Audiofreak71
I was just wondering as I knew you had a number of these big ones.I have read in a few spots where it is very similar to the RXZ1.On the tail end of a six pack I was listening to Grover Washingtons song "Moonbeams".A very good song to determine the quality of an amplifier.I'm just blown away by these amp sections.So much in fact I bought another V1 off Ebay local pickup for $185.I have to travel to Denver(about 150 miles)to get it.I don't think I can get one any cheaper anymore and for sure not as time goes on.Like yourself I am truly in awe of the amp sections in these Yamahas for the money one can pick them up for if diligent.Just had to vent.Thanks.

Last edited:
I have owned the 595a (back in 97) 995 2095 3000 3300 RXZ -1 RXZ -9, I think at the time the dsp-a1 RXV-1 and RXZ-1 came out I was deep into Seperates so I mistakenly skipped them. You are most certainly right about the amps in these things, they are truly something special, that many miss out on because of that no no word in audiophilia (Receiver) but that's OK that leaves more for those that do know.

BTW Moonstreams is a really good song, love Grover Washington Jr. And you are right on these Yamaha's it sounds superb and handles all the intricate details and heavy bass lines with ease.

I also forgot to congratulate you on a really great score!, please either post up a thread on it or let me know how it is because I'm very curious although I know it will sound exceptional. Now you have my wheels spinning, I might have to fill in that gap I missed in the late 90's early 00's and pick up a Dsp-a1 and RXV-1 :rolleyes:

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
Pretty much every review of the V1 when it came out commented on how it sounded noticibly better than the A1, less sterile, more natural. Given the V1 and Z1 are nearly identical inside I would not bother with the A1 if I had a Z1, unless it is to complete a collection. I have actually seen a couple of A1s at pretty low prices over the last year or so but passed as I have two V11s already, not point picking up something that would be a retrograde step and take up almost as much space.

Pretty much every review of the V1 when it came out commented on how it sounded noticibly better than the A1, less sterile, more natural. Given the V1 and Z1 are nearly identical inside I would not bother with the A1 if I had a Z1, unless it is to complete a collection. I have actually seen a couple of A1s at pretty low prices over the last year or so but passed as I have two V11s already, not point picking up something that would be a retrograde step and take up almost as much space.
That may be true and I wont be getting rid of my Z1 anytime soon but I have tried almost all the Ubers and those 2 are about the last on my list to give a try. This has all been a very fun test to me and has proven that there are some very capable receivers and a few that will stand up to and surpass some Seperates. I kinda hope people keep ditching these and continue to think there just another dried up receiver because this is literally the saying of one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Audiofreak71

I have a RX-V990, a RX-V3000, a DSP-A3090, and a RX-A3030. Now this thread makes me feel the need to pick up a RX-Z.... unit! While a Z9 would be epic awesome, a Z1 seems to be a lot easier to acquire, concerning budget requirements. I'll have to add it to the 'list'. :deal:

I have a RX-V990, a RX-V3000, a DSP-A3090, and a RX-A3030. Now this thread makes me feel the need to pick up a RX-Z.... unit! While a Z9 would be epic awesome, a Z1 seems to be a lot easier to acquire, concerning budget requirements. I'll have to add it to the 'list'. :deal:
I've been watching these on the bay for a bit.The V1 seems to be much more plentiful.The Z9 price has gone way up.The Z1... they just don't seem to be that common on there.This will make two V1s,a Z9,RXV3200 and a B&K 507.Stick a fork in me because this is where my amplifier journey ends.I thought I may want to try an Aragon 8008 but they went up in price and I don't know if it is worth it considering how I feel about these Yamahas and the speakers I have and my listening space.

I've been watching these on the bay for a bit.The V1 seems to be much more plentiful.The Z9 price has gone way up.The Z1... they just don't seem to be that common on there.This will make two V1s,a Z9,RXV3200 and a B&K 507.Stick a fork in me because this is where my amplifier journey ends.I thought I may want to try an Aragon 8008 but they went up in price and I don't know if it is worth it considering how I feel about these Yamahas and the speakers I have and my listening space.

Same around here and I find it very odd. The Z1 was pretty much the inline replacement for the V1 and while the V1 show up regularly I can't recall ever seeing a Z1. There must have been one or two that I am forgetting but given it was pretty much the same price I wonder why the drop off in popularity? Maybe the V1 hit at the right time, lots of people jumped on the bandwagon but when the Z1 showed up most prospective customers already had something and the upgrade was not enough to make people jump?

From what I have read from one of the Yamaha engineers who worked for yamaha until the Yamaha RXZ-1 was made after the Z1 he left, he said that the Z1 was the last receiver that had real amps in it that was geared for 2ch listening and not focused on the processing for home theater. All models after that while very good were more focused on the processing for home theater rather than the amps (excluding the Z9) which he said was the last great effort although still not in the same league amp wise to the Dsp-a1 V1 & Z1.

Those are from the Yamaha engineer and not from me. I have owned the Z9 and it's outstanding and like I told @superdog my Z1 sounds as good as my Z9, it has excellent amps and is the best receiver I have had for 2ch listening, close second Onkyo TX-nr1000 /B&K 507s2 and the Z9 and Z1 are a tie imo sound wise although the Z9 can push a little more power but probably not noticeable in real world listening unless pushing 4ohm loads and then the z9 doubles down and power for a 3db gain which again probably not noticeable in real world listening.

Audiofreak71

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. Not a huge surprise the Z9 is not way above the V1/Z1 as the weight is very similar 66 pounds vs 62. I wonder how the Z11 would rank. Did the Yamaha engineer have any comment on that beast?

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. Not a huge surprise the Z9 is not way above the V1/Z1 as the weight is very similar 66 pounds vs 62. I wonder how the Z11 would rank. Did the Yamaha engineer have any comment on that beast?
I believe I read the Z11 was geared more for HT.Not in the same league as the previous models.Wouldn't mind hearing one.

Yeah I read the same thing, it's cool to read from one of the actual yamaha engineers that was involved in making those receivers about what each one was geared towards. It did suprise me that he said that the Z1 was the last one made that concentrated on the amplifiers first as we know that it's always been said the Z9 was the last great one for 2ch. Regardless the Z9 is a great sounding amp for 2ch and home theater but also confirms what I'm hearing as the Z1 to my ears sounds very much like the Z9 if not slightly more warm and also surprisingly as powerful sounding even though it's 40 watts shy of the Z9 which is really negligible.

Audiofreak71

I too am a fan of reaping the sonic benefits of using a HT oriented TOTL unit for 2 channel.

Your Yamaha is an absolute beast, I was intrigued by the dsp-a1 stereo subwoofer output, thats quite a nice feature

your onkyo tx-nr1000 has very similar aesthetics to my 2 channel rigs preamp, the Integra Research RDC 7.1 pre/pro, its most likely produced the same generation. right now I am using a tda1541 nos dac feeding it analog but I am also fond of its internal differential pcm1704s, it is a different sound compared to tda1541 both very musical but the pcm1704s are more detailed

WsgOuRh.jpg

xuomFSd.jpg

I too am a fan of reaping the sonic benefits of using a HT oriented TOTL unit for 2 channel.

Your Yamaha is an absolute beast, I was intrigued by the dsp-a1 stereo subwoofer output, thats quite a nice feature

your onkyo tx-nr1000 has very similar aesthetics to my 2 channel rigs preamp, the Integra Research RDC 7.1 pre/pro, its most likely produced the same generation. right now I am using a tda1541 nos dac feeding it analog but I am also fond of its internal differential pcm1704s, it is a different sound compared to tda1541 both very musical but the pcm1704s are more detailed

WsgOuRh.jpg

xuomFSd.jpg
Very nice rig @nyhifihead, it's good to see someone else who knows and appreciate what these Totl receivers have to offer, which is quite alot. I see your running a Krell amp as well, I had a 300i that just didn't pair well with the Paradigm signature s4's I had at the time, I'm curious to know what the Krells would sound like with my Vandersteens though.

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
Very nice rig @nyhifihead, it's good to see someone else who knows and appreciate what these Totl receivers have to offer, which is quite alot. I see your running a Krell amp ad well, I had a 300i that just didn't pair well with the Paradigm signature s4's I had at the time, I'm curious to know what the Krells would sound like with my Vandersteens though.

Audiofreak71

I would love to find the matching BAT designed power amp for the Integra research pre, its the RDA-7.

it too is a HT gem, full balanced 7 ch amp 150wpc into 8ohm 300wpc into 4 ohm. very high current & low noise thanks to BAT takif a major hand in designing it

the krell is a KAV 250 and I love it , it handles my nht 3.3s and my rbh signatures with absolute ease, very musical with pinpoint accuracy.

seems krell is very polarizing, I've heard paradigm can be on the cusp of bright so that with the krell being very resolving could lead to listening fatigue.

I would love to find the matching BAT designed power amp for the Integra research pre, its the RDA-7.

it too is a HT gem, full balanced 7 ch amp 150wpc into 8ohm 300wpc into 4 ohm. very high current & low noise thanks to BAT takif a major hand in designing it

the krell is a KAV 250 and I love it , it handles my nht 3.3s and my rbh signatures with absolute ease, very musical with pinpoint accuracy.

seems krell is very polarizing, I've heard paradigm can be on the cusp of bright so that with the krell being very resolving could lead to listening fatigue.
You never know what your gonna find when just looking sometimes, so you might just find that RDA-7, I know I wasn't even thinking about the Yamaha RXZ-1 when I stumbled across it for basically free. Yeah it's true about the paradigm speakers they are a bit forward so matching them with the right amp is very important. I know that McIntosh doesn't pair well with Vandersteens imo sounds to muddy, but with Yamaha, Onkyo totl amps they sound incredible.

Audiofreak71

that's killer man, finding an amp that makes your speakers sing is absolute bliss

right now I have my hafler 9505 running some infinity kappa 6.1s and I'm experiencing it first hand

that's killer man, finding an amp that makes your speakers sing is absolute bliss

right now I have my hafler 9505 running some infinity kappa 6.1s and I'm experiencing it first hand[/QUOTE

You are very right it's hard to get the synergy perfect with amps and speakers so when you do sometimes you gotta just stop searching. I've heard some good things about that Hafler amp is that the Transnova?, I had the opportunity to pick one up buy passed because I wasn't to familiar with them but I should have jumped on it. Oh well you live and you learn.

Audiofreak71

A co
You never know what your gonna find when just looking sometimes, so you might just find that RDA-7, I know I wasn't even thinking about the Yamaha RXZ-1 when I stumbled across it for basically free. Yeah it's true about the paradigm speakers they are a bit forward so matching them with the right amp is very important. I know that McIntosh doesn't pair well with Vandersteens imo sounds to muddy, but with Yamaha, Onkyo totl amps they sound incredible.

Audiofreak71
I have a set of Bozak 302a (circa 1959) speakers that I ran 70s receivers with for a bit.As much as I liked Sansui sound it didn't work for these speakers Yamahas sounded way better on these speakers..Marantz were even worse.CA 1010 and CR 2020 were the best.I won't use anything but Yamahas with these speakers .Clean uncolored sound (to my anyway)works best with this vintage in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom