$40 Vintage Altec any good?

Solidcrowd

Here is the picture of them. No model # listed. Wondering if they're worth making an offer for?

3b3bf2721e4447d1b184c52524cf8bfc.jpg

I don't have the space to just scoop up just any old speakers. If they are worth alot, I can tell the girlfriend they are an investment lol.

Also, Are those homemade grills? The only clues he left in the description is that they are 3 way and 1970s...

Those grills don't look like they could possibly be right. The screws holding them on are surely not. Who knows what is in the cabinets.

I was thinking they were cheap 887A Capri's
I would pick these up for that price if they were Capris. That grill is not original and is probably homemade, maybe from a light diffuser for ceiling lights. Only way to know what these really are is to open them up and see what's inside.

I don't really see anything Altec about them.

However, I'm quite sure i see one of those horns thru that top grill:

0b1ecc01bb296145d4ecb60b73b00cb4.jpg

Yup, sure looks like it -- you beat me to it!
University 6201 or another University coax of similar ilk.
OK sounding coaxes, but not Altecs.

The grills look like someone cut up a light diffuser from a 2 tube florescent kitchen light. I'd most likely pass.

If the drivers (all four, that is) all work, I'd buy those all day for $50. I'd consider 'em @ 75... and just wander away if they were any more than that.
There is some value in the University coaxes.

Yup, sure looks like it -- you beat me to it!
University 6201 or another University coax of similar ilk.
OK sounding coaxes, but not Altecs.

Was listening to a pair of University 6303 15'' diffaxials today on a electrohome pp el84 tube amp in large homemade cabinets with old jensen horns mounted with them....very smooth,great sound

Back
Top Bottom