Comparison on current production 6SL7's

I think the whole reissue thing needs to be taken with a grain of salt. For one thing, look at an RCA 6SL7GT made in 1945, versus one made in 1975. They're totally different looking, but same curves and performance.

There's no telling what tube new sensor actually copied, but I wouldn't be sure that the real Tung Sol had only one version of tube.

What I don't get is why someone doesn't license RCA and stick it on tubes. I know I'd eat that right up if I could buy new RCA tubes!

For what it's worth, I bought a big pack of 10 NOS Soviet 6SL7 equivalents off eBay for cheap, direct from eastern Europe, and have been using them in ally equipment which takes a 6SL7. I'm more than happy with them, no failures, no microphonics or distortion, just great sound at a low price.

Last edited:
I do have a pair of the Tung Sol new issue 6SL7's. I picked them a few years ago before the price went up. I am using them now in a home-brew phono preamp and I do like them better then the usual vintage 1980's reflector production 6sl7's.(which sounded good but not as good) I also saw that JJ is making 6sl7's and wondered how they would sound:idea: as I do like the JJ's 12a*7 tubes.

Haven't heard the Psvane 6SL7 tubes, but their 6SN7 tubes are extremely good. For some reason they renamed their 6SN7 tubes as CV181 tubes. Technically a CV181 is not compatible with 6SN7, but their CV181s are exactly the same as a 6SN7. I know people who feel that these tubes are the best 6SN7 ever made. So it would not surprise me for their 6SL7 tubes to be right up there.
The CV181 is very pricey collector's tube and almost legendary along with ECC32,33. It is deceptive to just pretty up a 6sn7 in a different base and shoulder type bulb and call it a cv181. How can people fall for that ?

The CV181 is very pricey collector's tube and almost legendary along with ECC32,33. It is deceptive to just pretty up a 6sn7 in a different base and shoulder type bulb and call it a cv181. How can people fall for that ?

Well, you don't buy the new Psvane CV181 to replace a vintage CV181 as it isn't fully compatible with the old tube. They are selling it as a replacement for a 6SN7 as it actually is a 6SN7 tube with CV181 lettering on it. Why they do this, I have no idea, except that maybe they can make it seem more exotic and jack up the price.

I believe that is true. Some of the tube guys in Asia are really into vintage gear and tubes and just having that cv181 imitation must mean a lot. As for me, if it is not the real thing why bother?

I believe that is true. Some of the tube guys in Asia are really into vintage gear and tubes and just having that cv181 imitation must mean a lot. As for me, if it is not the real thing why bother?

Same for those 6SN7s which look like a WE101D. I don't get it.

I don't use the type of tube you need, but I will say I have had good experience with the new Tung Sol 12ax7s. Those sounded nice, actually better than some old Baldwins I had been using. The newer Tung Sol and Sovtek seem to be the best of the bunch.

Like those old Mullards that sometimes come in the original British cardboard YEUCH
Have you ever seen the Mullard 10M tubes? It comes in a purple and gold box that is about 3 or 4 times the size of the regular tube box and the tube or tubes if its a matched pair, are sitting nice and comfortable in a slab of foam. First class all the way. I am pretty sure that Mullard was the only ones to have such nice packaging for their tubes way back in those times.

Have you ever seen the Mullard 10M tubes? It comes in a purple and gold box that is about 3 or 4 times the size of the regular tube box and the tube or tubes if its a matched pair, are sitting nice and comfortable in a slab of foam. First class all the way. I am pretty sure that Mullard was the only ones to have such nice packaging for their tubes way back in those times.
I was being facetious - I have a GZ33 in original packaging and I love the old cardboard rolls

Back
Top Bottom