Thrift store Infinity Kappa 6.1’s

Tensepian

Hey all, scored a pair of Kappa 6.1 series 2’s for $20 at the local Value Village. Seem to be in perfect condition, sound excellent.

Also found a Denon DCD-1000 for $12, which i think makes my CDs sound noticeably better! I always kinda scoffed at CD player connoisseurs, but...

ANYWAY: I’m just driving the Kappas through my silly little Panasonic integrated amp (no pedigree, but it works, and has all the phono, pre-out, etc options i want in a box. However, I did spot at the thrift, a Denon DRA-425 for $30. Should i go back and get it for the benefit of the Kappas? Would you expect a genuine/noticeable improvement from that receiver?

Fix the Kappa's. Get some junk speakers and do your first re-foam on those to see what it's like. The second time is much easier after a first time is under your belt.

Great series of speakers and deserve top notch amplification. I've owned Kappa 7.1i's since they were new. I'm not a receiver person and drove mine since day one with a high quality integrated - Kenwood Model 600. I've since moved on to power/pre's. I suppose a decent receiver would be OK but I've no personal experience.

The one and only receiver I ever owned was in 1968. But I played records and tapes at home, radio was in the car.

It was explained to me as a young'un - max budget on turntable, amplifier, speakers. Tuner & tape come later if desired.

I find surround sound receivers have little to no bass on the speaker outs. Since most use the subwoofer out for bass.

I find surround sound receivers have little to no bass on the speaker outs. Since most use the subwoofer out for bass.

The Denon DRA-425 that he's speaking of is not an AVR. However, at 50wpc, it may not be the best choice to drive the Kappas anyway.

As a fellow Infinity owner, we both know the deal.... Infinity = Juice to drive them.
I'm seriously considering a 200+watt amp now just to get the best out of my 8inch RS-6's.
120wpc seems the opening bid to get them up and alive.

Fix the Kappa's.
Where did the OP say the speakers needed fixing? Not to say they won't benefit from new surrounds but they may not need them. That's easy enough to determine but don't spend money where it's not needed.

Back
Top Bottom