How much have you invested in your audio set up? Show photos.

Glad we're not getting asked how much we spend on records, I know that for me has surpassed the equipment ten fold.
Yeah, I changed over to a digital system mainly because the entire process of buying records and cleaning them was getting too expensive :whip:. But to be honest, I’d rather have a digital system for various reasons anyway.

My negatives:

- Buying the same album about 3-5 times to get the most perfect copy (no popping).
- Buying a record cleaning machine that cleans the record.
- Buying replacement felt for the wand.
- Buying record sleeves and dust covers for the album.
- Buying a brush that not only cleans dust off of the record after each play, but doesn't leave scratch marks.
- Buying wipes to clean the albums front, back, inside, and seams.
- Buying storage for the records.
- Spending lots of money on a good turntable, cartridge, and tonearm.
- Replacing the needle before it damages your records.
- Making sure the tonearm and cartridge is set up properly.
- When the needle gets closer to the center of the record, the sound becomes more compressed.
- The sound deteriorates after each play (it's a flawed medium).
- Everything is extremely fragile.
- The entire process is like a ritual (conditions must be right).
- Takes too long to play each song from each record.

Last edited:
My negatives:

- Buying the same album about 3-5 times to get the most perfect copy (no popping).
- Buying a record cleaning machine that cleans the record.
- Buying replacement felt for the wand.
- Buying record sleeves and dust covers for the album.
- Buying a brush that not only cleans dust off of the record after each play, but doesn't leave scratch marks.
- Buying wipes to clean the albums front, back, inside, and seams.
- Buying storage for the records.
- Spending lots of money on a good turntable, cartridge, and tonearm.
- Replacing the needle before it damages your records.
- Making sure the tonearm and cartridge is set up properly.
- When the needle gets closer to the center of the record, the sound becomes more compressed.
- The sound deteriorates after each play (it's a flawed medium).
- Everything is extremely fragile.
- The entire process is like a ritual (conditions must be right).
- Takes too long to play each song from each record.

Some of those things are part of the appeal of vinyl for me! I'm not being critical, just recognizing that we all chase different parts of the hobby to find the fun. Same applies to how much we spend on gear and why we replace one thing with another.

if you where in my house asking what things cost I'd probably show you the door.

Agree, but if someone was asking "So if I wanted to get sound like this in my house, what would I be looking to spend?" that would be different.

Glad we're not getting asked how much we spend on records, I know that for me has surpassed the equipment ten fold.

Ain't that the truth!

My favorite quote on cost of gear/recordings is this: "Yeah, it's a lot of money for a stereo, but it's pretty cheap for a time machine."

Agree, but if someone was asking "So if I wanted to get sound like this in my house, what would I be looking to spend?" that would be different.
Well maybe and or if you where telling someone you where planing on selling it and they wanted to know your asking price. But to sit there an point at thing "how much do that cost":no:

Well maybe and or if you where telling someone you where planing on selling it and they wanted to know your asking price. But to sit there an point at thing "how much do that cost":no:

Haha! that's pretty crude. "Thanks for inviting me to your home. Now let me treat it like a flea market stall."

Because some like me think it's rude, if you where in my house asking what things cost I'd probably show you the door.
I never really seen other threads asking for members to price their system.
There is another, similar thread, twice as long as this one, where people gladly itemized their systems. Tried to find it for you but couldn't because, like this one, it's in the wrong category — both are about systems, but this one is in "Speakers" and the other I can't find at the moment. Both would logically be in General Audio; neither are. But there were two large groups, with opposite attitudes to basically the same question.

Your reasons make perfect sense. It's the inconsistency, the contradiction that piqued my interest.

I'll send the link to that other thread when I run across it, and you'll see what I mean.

Your reasons make perfect sense. It's the inconsistency, the contradiction that piqued my interest.

Someone on this site once told me about these duel feelings on a topic like this, is how we where raised and the part of the country we are from. Kinda like a cultural thing if you think about it based on the area of the country.

I guess the same can be said for dickering, here California you would be thought of as rude if you push that behavior, north east not so much.

JBL L200's, $1000 on sale (1974 dollars)

Kenwood 700 series amp preamp $1500 (1975 dollars)

Technics SL1401 (free)
AT 440MLB cart $200
Schiit Modi Multibit DAC $250
Other miscellaneous audio components were mostly given to me.

Seems like a Dollar and Sense topic where I'd post that my systems are bought and paid for 100x over with a few well flipped CL acquisitions.
Fun while it lasted:beerchug:

Kinda like a cultural thing if you think about it based on the area of the country.
Interesting. If everyone who posts listed where they live, we could map it. A map of different cultural values and behaviors, based on data gleaned from internet forums — wonder if anyone is doing that? The internet giants (Google, Facebook, etc) who have all our data surely are — but only for monetary reasons — the biggest engines of potential socio-cultural research have zero interest because there's no profit in it. They eagerly sell ad-space to "Jew Haters", for example, but are they using that data to map the distribution of Jew-Haters in our country? Not the strongest example, because (I hope) their numbers are so small, but raises the bigger question.

Back
Top Bottom