Fisher 400CX on ePay

audmod01

There is currently a Fisher 400CX on ePay which is not in the best of shape, but could be a good performer. Its faceplate has had all of its lettering removed due to poor restoration effort in the past. Its power transformer is a replacement and looks like it has a separate filament transformer grafted onto the top of the chassis. Many parts have been replaced with oversized parts and it says one channel quits after about 30 minutes of play. There is considerable corrosion on the chassis top side too. See:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-400C...562845?hash=item2f0cb3a59d:g:9I8AAOSwDshZ2p6Q
There is already a string of bids on it.

Joe

I wouldn't touch that for 1/2 the price, and probably not even then. If the A**Hole had taken the front panel off 1st before he RAPED it, it might have looked better. And all those K42Y's. Wonder what the hell is up with those? That's gotta impart some change to the sound.

I picked up a 400c a few yrs back that looked beat and was sold as a parts unit.Had it home in my shop for less then half what the current bid is on this one and its my best performing vintage tube pre,got it looking pretty good as well.These are marvelous sounding tube preamps

I would love to make the jump into Fisher separates but boy those preamp prices are no joke! I wonder how much different the preamp sections in the Fisher receivers are in comparison?

Personally I agree with Al and Larry - I would not be interested even for 1/2 the price. The unit appears so bastardized that I would dread tackling it. These preamps tend to go for premium prices, but I hope this one does not. It is just not worth it to have to completely redo everything and also have to have the faceplate restored or else create a new one. Then there is that non-Fisher power transformer - ugh. The chassis is so corroded it is just a mess.

Joe

I would love to make the jump into Fisher separates but boy those preamp prices are no joke! I wonder how much different the preamp sections in the Fisher receivers are in comparison?

Ive heard a few of the early integrated amps and the Fisher tube recievers and in my opinion they just dont have the magic of the 400c.Ive compared it to some premium tube pre's as well in my possession and friends {Mc c-20/HHscott Lc 21 and others}.They say beati is in the eye of the beholder,my 400c may not be pretty but it surely wont leave my first system settup along with the Fisher 50A's

Attachments

• DSCF1345 (1).JPG
    DSCF1345 (1).JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 23
There is a person on Ebay that can restore the face. He has a listing now for the 400C and CX versions. Looking at his restored examples he does a wonderful job for $450. If you could live with the crusty chassis the rest could be restored as good as new. Just put it in a nice cabinet :)

There is a person on Ebay that can restore the face. He has a listing now for the 400C and CX versions. Looking at his restored examples he does a wonderful job for $450. If you could live with the crusty chassis the rest could be restored as good as new. Just put it in a nice cabinet :)
I have a 400cx in great shape except for a badly discolored faceplate and questioned the eBay restorer guy and did not like his replies- very suspect. It is extremely difficult to redo the silkscreen lettering process. He gave me no indication he knew what he was doing-weird. None of his feedback included a review of redo faceplates. Anybody used his service?? A clean faceplate will double the value of an otherwise clean 400cx.

I have a 400cx in great shape except for a badly discolored faceplate and questioned the eBay restorer guy and did not like his replies- very suspect. It is extremely difficult to redo the silkscreen lettering process. He gave me no indication he knew what he was doing-weird. None of his feedback included a review of redo faceplates. Anybody used his service?? A clean faceplate will double the value of an otherwise clean 400cx.

I've never used his service. If he can't explain what he does that is suspect.

I have a good friend that has made me perfect looking faceplates in the past using his CNC router and laser printer but he's been too busy at work to do anything the last 6 months. I'm still waiting for him to do a FM-1000 as well as a brass X-202 face for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom