My very low budget tube rig

I am going to do a major purge very soon! I will keep a couple good amps, preamps, and sets of speakers.
I am beginning to think the hoarding becomes a disease, and takes away from just enjoying the music.
At one point I had stereos filling my closets, under my bed, in the garage, in the basement, in my setup rack, etc... I started thinking, what the heck AM I doing with all this gear. I really didn't care about much of it. I was only storing the stuff. Then I realized I was just playing musical stereos by putting one in one day and changing it out the next. Never really enjoying any of them.

The only advice I can give is don't purge out of frustration. I did that when I had five or six stereos in my setup rack. One crapped out so I hooked up the second. That one had a problem, then number three, that had a problem. etc..... Finally I had enough. Six stereos and NONE of them worked. So I sold them all. A BAD !!!!!!!! move!!!!!! I'll never get some of those back and I really shouldn't have let some of them go.

I just want that little foztec metronome like rudedogg has. the Madisound is abit more than
Im after.
but thanks for showing them. always like seeing other folksses stuff.

I got this cute little preamp off BarterTown here... The preamp hunt is now over for good! This, a Maggie 9304, and theMetronomes are sublime...image.jpeg

I can see why you like the Magnavox 9304 with the 90db Sigmas. It's got over twice the power compared to your single ended Stromburg Carlson amp.

I have a Magnavox EL84 single ended amp and while it's barely enough for the 93db Fostex Fe126En drivers it's a match made in heaven for my 98db 12" Zenith Alnico's.

I can see why you like the Magnavox 9304 with the 90db Sigmas. It's got over twice the power compared to your single ended Stromburg Carlson amp.

I have a Magnavox EL84 single ended amp and while it's barely enough for the 93db Fostex Fe126En drivers it's a match made in heaven for my 98db 12" Zenith Alnico's.
Yea i know.., i now regret selling my 107db Fraziers!. I do have some EVs to try yet. And my modded Klipsch speakers... Damn this is fun!

Last edited:
I concur! Back in the day I liked my Frazier Mk4s and Monte Carlos but with a powerful SS amp which is all I had they were not a great match.

I concur! Back in the day I liked my Frazier Mk4s and Monte Carlos but with a powerful SS amp which is all I had they were not a great match.
Yep! I had DixieLanders. With a Crown ss amp they could do a coliseum, but sounded like PA speakers... On tubes, they excelled. Hey Poultry, i truly thought my Consonance Preamp in the first pic was the sh!t! Then i picked up the octal pre above, and it is magical! Soundstage and imaging are unlike anything i have heard. This kinda upped the "very low budget" to "somewhat low budget" lol. Have you tried an octal preamp in your system?

Yep! I had DixieLanders. With a Crown ss amp they could do a coliseum, but sounded like PA speakers... On tubes, they excelled. Hey Poultry, i truly thought my Consonance Preamp in the first pic was the sh!t! Then i picked up the octal pre above, and it is magical! Soundstage and imaging are unlike anything i have heard. This kinda upped the "very low budget" to "somewhat low budget" lol. Have you tried an octal preamp in your system?

No but I've heard good things about them.

I've got a few decent tube preamps but folks keep raving over the LDR's which have stirred my interest.

https://www.tortugaaudio.com

Details, we need details.:)

jeff
Well, i had seen this custom build octal preamp here on BarterTown and was curious about it. A friend, and somewhat local AK member "MATT0404" was selling it. It is quite unique in that it has the ability to "roll" capacitors by simply twisting a knob. You can select from PIO caps or polys...or both in parallel. Pretty cool! And it changes the sonic character of the pre. Also it has a tone control knob on the front panel which just slightly cuts the highs when turned a click to the right, or just slightly boosts the low frequencys by twisting counter clockwise. The center position is flat. The signal tubes are vintage mostly NOS 12sn7, of which 5 sets were included, image.jpeg and the rectifier is a 5y3. The internal build quality is just insanely well done, quite OCD, and stunning! This preamp has stopped (at least for a time) my tube preamp quest, it is just fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom