What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

I've got so much stuff that I've never listened to. Torrented this 12 years or so ago. It's is an excellent audience recorded bootleg of ELP's July 8th, 1977 show at Madison Square Garden, the second of three sold out shows that they did with the orchestra at MSG.
What confirmed that this was a first listening was the firecracker going off during "Lucky Man" and Greg's stopping of the concert to advise the perp that it was a highly dangerous activity. I'd never heard that on any of my boots before. He had to do the same thing two weeks later at the show I attended in Baltimore sans orchestra except that time it was a hail of firecrackers going off during the opening song, Karn Evil 9 1st Impression part 2. By that point in the tour Greg had had enough and threatened to take the band off the stage if another firecracker got tossed. That was the end of the audience provided pyro-technics for the night!

001.jpg

The setlist for this is far better than either of the official live recordings from the Works tour. It would have needed to be another triple LP release logging in at nearly 2 hours 15 minutes.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer: New York City, Madison Square Garden July 8th, 1977
http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f1...7-07-08-new-york-city-ny-aud-flac-154508.html
Disc 1: (70:13m)
01.Abbadon's Bolero (5:50m)
02.Hoedown (3:26m)
03.Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Pt.2 (4:56m)
04.The Enemy God (3:10m)
05.Tarkus-Eruption/Stones Of Years/Iconoclast/Mass/Aquatarkus (15:23m)
06.Still...You Turn Me On (3:02m)
07.Lucky Man (2:38m)
08.Pictures At An Exhibition (15:27m)
09.Piano concerto No.1-movements 1&3 (16:17m)

Disc 2: (63:18m)
01.Closer To Believing (6:48m)
02.C'est La Vie (4:19m)
03.Knife Edge (5:07m)
04.Tank (Carl solo) (11:57m)
05.Nutrocker (6:50m)
06.Pirates (12:00m)
07.Fanfare For The Common Man (9:34m)
08.Rhondo/Fanfare (reprise) (6:41m)

Notes
"An excellent audience recording of ELP with the orchestra...and a set list that shows ELP as the premier neo-classical ProgRock band of the 70's, they threw everything but the kitchen sink into this gig !!! They are so on top of their game at this point it's scary...if you are a musician who has ever tried to cover ELP...you know what I mean. A must for ELP fans."

EDIT: There's some idiot with an air horn blasting it once in a while during the entire show. Wish firecracker boy would stick a couple M-80's up the guy's wazoo. The dude destroyed any chance of getting an exceptional recording out of the show. If that had been happening around me he'd have had that air horn shoved down his throat so far that he'd need a proctologist to remove it..

Last edited:
many thanks Del...its a watercolour sketch for a"Cars of the Sixties" painting which im doing in acrylic..i collect old maps while im rummaging for vinyl...nice to be complemented by an artist!
Thanks John. My stuff is just a glorified form of "paint by numbers" compared to real art. like yours
Looks like a lot of Brit/Euro cars, but I see a '62 Ford Thunderbirds nose poking out from behind the album.

4274546.jpg

Think youve really got to be into the Incredibles to like this.Other hand....onboard is Pete Townshend,Keith Moon,Richard Thompson, Ronny Lane,John Cale,Jimmy Page,Simon Nicol,Dave Pegg,Strangely Strange......so there are compensations.. and very enigmatic lyrics.
Del...like your work buddy....we are craftsmen:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom