Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Congrats on the score, but the insane deals I see people scoring here just about makes me want to barf. lol :oops: There's just NOTHING like that in GW or thrift stores here. Decent gear in thrift stores is such an extreme rarity, and I do mean extreme. And that's not hyperbole or from a lack of trying either. Nothing but crap and tumbleweeds here. Must be nice.
Did you ever consider moving?;) just having fun but one day your going to walk in there like me and find something that will make your jaw just hit the floor j-look at my avatar

It seems to go in waves for me. I'll find some awesome deals over the course of a weekend or two and then it will peter out and I'll hit nothing for a while then the deals will come back. Just gotta keep looking and having fun.
If it starts to feel like a job or you're getting anxiety about not finding anything worthwhile then this isn't a good hobby for you.

I really never get tired of the hunt. I have some like-minded friends and we go out during the week and look for treasures. It keeps me active, I get to socialize with other old farts and it gives my wife a break from me. :D I guess I'm like those surfers looking for the perfect wave. I know somewhere out there is a score of a lifetime waiting for me.

Reporting back on this Sansui 7070 I picked up a month or so ago. Replaced 14 fusible resistors, a fuse, and recovered the case with woodgrain vinyl film. She sings beautifully, and DC offset is stable and low. I'll recap her someday when work isn't so crazy. $10 from a weird middle of nowhere thrift (plus $20 in parts).

IMG_20171011_231117.jpg

I picked up a plasma ball at GW yesterday for $3.00. I'm psyched about it. I've been looking for one for my music room for quite awhile. I tried to take a picture but the flash washes out the colors so here's a photo from online.

9236eab0c9d0e32070d4492d001258bf.jpg

I really never get tired of the hunt. I have some like-minded friends and we go out during the week and look for treasures. It keeps me active, I get to socialize with other old farts and it gives my wife a break from me. :D I guess I'm like those surfers looking for the perfect wave. I know somewhere out there is a score of a lifetime waiting for me.

Wait just a minute pal, I will not be categorized as an old fart, I am a vintage accumulator and despite my wife's claim that I am a hoarder I do let stuff go, usually in exchange for cash.:)

I never just look at audio stuff when I'm there, last week I needed a new stapler- 4 stores later I had this like new Ace one with wood grain that blows the brand new one I just got on Amazon out of the water. Redid my kids bath in a beach theme with thrift decor, all at a tenth of the cost.

I don't get to the physical GW often..but do search through Shopgoodwill.com quite often. Picked up a group of 20 albums..5 were worth keeping. 3 Angel Japanese press and The Rockets No Ballads Japanese press. Nothing on DISCOGS for it.

I don't get to the physical GW often..but do search through Shopgoodwill.com quite often. Picked up a group of 20 albums..5 were worth keeping. 3 Angel Japanese press and The Rockets No Ballads Japanese press. Nothing on DISCOGS for it.

shopgoodwill rarely has good deals on audio equipment unless it's pickup only. My city stopped offereing audio equipment on shopgoodwill recently. Otherwise I had a few good scores, NHT sw10 for $40, monitor audio radius series 2 speakers, a center, and a sub for $75, and my rotel TT for $50.

I always have a mental list of things I'm currently looking for. I often find them quite quickly. I have all the kitchen stuff in the brand names I want. I'm always picking up great electrical tools. And I'm always finding other cool things. My son loves similar things as I do, so my picks for him are always appreciated. It is all in search of that elusive score. What a rush she is! :)

Update on the Sansui SR-2050C I snatched from the crusher at the dump. I got the spindle out, cleaned and lubed it. Part of the process involved removing the bottom cover. What did I find? Severed tonearm wires. :mad:
IMG_20171012_091550799.jpg

Well, what are you going to do? I continued on. I straightened the bent cantilever, set up VTF and the anti skate weight. By chance I had a 25" belt on another table to install. I popped on my best Herb Alpert album and fired it up. I'll be damned, it works! Mechanically it's going to be fine. I grabbed some tonearm wires from a parts table and super glued them to the existing wires hanging out of the pivot. I'll gently pull them through and solder them in tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Tough to find much around here as they put all of the good stuff online, especially anything with a silver face plate. Took a trip east of the mountains and found two - yes, two Yamaha KX-960 Decks. Threw in some new belts and they worked fine. Was able to flip them for money to keep looking for the next find!

upload_2017-10-13_14-48-48.png

90% of the GWs around here took record pricing from 99 cents straight to $4 so I rarely hit those stores anymore. I can understand some individual pricing if they think they have something special but $4 for everything is nuts when most of it is Mitch Miller, Barbara Striesand and Mantovani and warped, scratched, moldy, etc.

90% of the GWs around here took record pricing from 99 cents straight to $4 so I rarely hit those stores anymore. I can understand some individual pricing if they think they have something special but $4 for everything is nuts when most of it is Mitch Miller, Barbara Striesand and Mantovani and warped, scratched, moldy, etc.
Yep....It's $2 by me..

Yep....It's $2 by me..

Same here, 1.99 is the standard for our GW. Our Savers depends on who's ringing you up. Some people say "oh, that's old" and charge 99 cents, some say "Oh, that's rare" and charge 2.99. My favorite was a sealed comedy record at I picked up at Savers that was tagged at 99 cents. They rang it up at that, then took an unsealed record and rang it at 2.99. Um, what?

My GW has them for $2 each. But they seem to get the discount more often. I've actually been going to Catholic thrift stores for vinyl recently. They're usually $1 or less there.

Back
Top Bottom