Cornwalls-Vintage, 2's or 3's?

jeff's eight

Any suggestions on a better pair of speakers for $750/pair than the Klipsch Cornwalls
I am considering? Also what would be the ideal per channel power to provide these models?Thank you in advance for your expertise!

Last edited:
Any suggestions on a better pair of speakers for $750/pair than the Klipsch Cornwalls
I am considering? Also what would be the ideal per channel power to provide these models?Thank you in advance for your expertise!
About four watts of SET goodness will do very nicely. :)

Cornwall2 can be upgraded to ti tweeter and ti mid, you have all sorts of crossover options as well as possible modifications. Cornwall2 is a much better choice than a Cornwall and a Very much better choice than a Cornwall3 which takes a huge step backwards using the smaller (Heresy) K701 mid horn in place of the larger Cornwall2 K601 mid horn. A smaller mid horn is never a good plan.
I you want to tun small SET amplifiers go with a Cornwall you can upgrade the tweeter if you intend to use a decent size solid state amp then go with the Cornwall2 as those are the amplifiers that they were designed to be used with. If you intend to use a large solid state amp you might consider the Chorus ll. Of the three loudspeakers mentioned the Chorus ll would be my first choice but it will require a minimum of a solid 100 watt per channel amp (a Benchmark AHB2 would be all you would ever need) and 200 or more would be better.

These are pretty efficient speakers to start with, mid or more being in the 95db 1w/1m I think. The older pair I had I replaced the crossover, flush mounted the drivers, refinished, etc......

I have an on again off again with mid and tweeter horns. I think little 20 wpc tube amps sound stellar with hese models.
DC

I like bigger amps with my Cornwall II. Not that I play it that loud, but between the additional headromm, and the improved dynamics at low volumes I've found that a 100-200 watt amps does the job better then something smaller. Presently using a Harman Kardon Citation 22. But must admit I've enjoyed Dynaco MKIII mono blocks with them as well.

Pretty much any amp still breathing will give you enough power. I ran my Cornwalls off SS, chip, and tubes. Tubes would be my recommendation and that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Fun speakers, enjoy them.

Thank you all for the help. These Cornwalls I found and am leaning towards may be 1's or 2's
but I do not think they are new enough to be 3's. Is $750 a fair price? Do not appear to need foam.

Cornwalls with all drivers working and cabinets in good shape are well worth $750.

Thank you all for the help. These Cornwalls I found and am leaning towards may be 1's or 2's
but I do not think they are new enough to be 3's. Is $750 a fair price? Do not appear to need foam.
Yep. Had 1s and ran solid state 200wpc and they really sang. (Marantz 7T might have had a part in it too:cool:

Oops!! Now he tells me they are Chorus not Cornwalls and the price is up $100 to $850.

Does anyone know how do the Chorus model compares to Cornwall model?

Thank you.

Oops!! Now he tells me they are Chorus not Cornwalls and the price is up $100 to $850.

Thank you.
I wouldn't pay that much for the Chorus I myself. Maybe a chorus II if it looks real sharp. I see them go cheaper all the time. Not a class move raising the price.

I wouldn't pay $850 for Chorus especially after he raised the price. Hold out for some Cornwalls.

I will bide my time and keep looking at Cornwall 2s particularly since he took a deposit on the Chorus 1's last night !

Thank you.
I have cornwall 2's and chorus 2's. While the cornwalls might have a touch deeper base and larger overall sound (probably due to the larger cabinet), they don't seem to reach as high as the chorus's, although neither pair seem to reach 20khz. both seem to have an unpleasant boominess around 50 hz. not sure which set i'll eventually keep/sell.

Back
Top Bottom