Sansui preamps CA2000 vs CA3000 any thoughts?

sfpepper

Putting dollar differences aside...does anyone have any thoughts on the sonics of the CA2000 vs CA3000? TIA steve

Hi, I would like to acquire one of those two preamps, and found some interesting info somewhere on this forum that “people like the ca2000 even better then the ca3000”.
Why is that? Can somebody explain real sonic differences?
Thanks!
BR, J

I can say I'm real happy with my CA-3000. Not sure about the Ca-2000.
I have heard neg comments about the problems with the 150 or 180 feed throughs. Maybe someone else can chime in. Later Rick

I have both and prefer the CA3000,looks and performance wise. Both pre's have excellent sound characteristics, but I find the phono pre on the 3000 better sounding.May be that both share the same circuitry ,which wouldn't be suprising but the 3000 has far better mid/high frequency definition.I know some people prefer the volume,step attenuator volume control of the CA 2000,but not me.The 3000 has such a smooth accurate feel through the whole range I never get stuck on a "step" that the 2000 volume control offers(though the 2000 is better than most with this step attenuator).Yes the meters are beautiful to look at,and also a very useful as determining the phono cartridge load,utilizing the meter output so as to not overload phono capacitance. The CA3000 costs substantially more than the 2000 usually though,and can't say that the 2000 feels like a huge sonic sacrifice when compared,so either represents good value and great sound.

Have owned both and have had both re capped and updated, almost identical insides with the volume pott being slighty better quality on the CA 2000, both lovely pieces!!

Hello, I just picked up a CA2000. Not sure about the volume pot. If it is original or not. It is not stepped but smooth in turning it. Is that the original?

What I didn't realize before I got the 3k, was that there is no Output Selector knob, like there is on the 2k . . . so in the end, I may prefer the 2k simply because I prefer to control two amp/speaker setups, independently of each other through a switch . . . although you can obviously control which amp/set of speakers play simply by turning on the amp you want to run.

??? There isn't a knob but there are "Inputs 1 & 2" buttons. Easily supports two amps.

I own both and I like them both. I don't think you would go wrong with either. The pass through's on the 3k will need addressing, just a matter of time and not a simple task (I outsourced). Significantly less cost on the 2k as mentioned. The 3k is visually a more impressive amp.

I also own both and compared them in the same setup. The 3000 sounds a bit better overall. My 2000 volume pot is smooth with no steps.

??? There isn't a knob but there are "Inputs 1 & 2" buttons. Easily supports two amps.

I own both and I like them both. I don't think you would go wrong with either. The pass through's on the 3k will need addressing, just a matter of time and not a simple task (I outsourced). Significantly less cost on the 2k as mentioned. The 3k is visually a more impressive amp.

Well actually there are two outputs on CA3K not selectable though.

Well actually there are two outputs on CA3K not selectable though.

John, not sure what I am missing but I have two amps connected and toggle back and forth with the input switch 1 - 2 below the source switch.
5401191119_7ef56752f7_b.jpg

John, not sure what I am missing but I have two amps connected and toggle back and forth with the input switch 1 - 2 below the source switch.
They are talking about outputs to amps being selectable not sources being selectable.
To me, the CA-2000 is like the AU-9900 without the amp and the CA-3000 is like the AU-2000 without the amp. Insides look the same. Too bad they didn't make a BA-2000A since I prefer the 9900A.

Dave the switch 1-2 you refer to is phono 1 and phono 2 . These are selectable yes. But you can't connect a pre amp on phono input. I hope you haven't. If you have you probably have messed up the phono input.

Dave the switch 1-2 you refer to is phono 1 and phono 2 . These are selectable yes. But you can't connect a pre amp on phono input. I hope you haven't. If you have you probably have messed up the phono input.

No I haven't connected an amp through the phone inputs. I was under the misguided impression that those buttons switched the amp input from 1 to 2. I now realize that it is just which amp is on. It is somewhat odd there would not be a amp input selector on the CA-3k like there is on the CA-2k.

On the CA 2000 there is indeed a output selector that selects 1, 2, 1+2 outputs to 2 different amps. This is a controlled output whereas on the ca3k there isn't one.
On the CA3K both outputs run continuously and paralleled.
On C2301 and C2302 and some others there are such selectable outputs.
Not on the CA3K though.
SANSUI's jokes.

Back
Top Bottom