Today's JAZZ playlist

yXVXw6g.jpg

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Brubeck Time
on CD
From Wiki
Brubeck Time is a jazz album by The Dave Brubeck Quartet, a rare studio recording from that period of the band, when it was recording mostly live albums.[3] It was recorded in the fall of 1954, and originally released in 1955 under the Columbia label as CL 622

The album features one of the earlier Quartet lineups, with Bob Bates on bass and Joe Dodge on drums. Although now not as famous as some of the band's other albums, in retrospect it has a lot of depth, and those interested in jazz will find it "certainly worth acquiring".
330px-Brubeck_Time.jpg

Last edited:
MI0001562754.jpg

S.M.V. / Stanley Clarke / Marcus Miller / Victor Wooten
Thunder

Release Date August 12, 2008
Duration01:02:33
Genre
Jazz
Styles
Jazz-Funk
Contemporary Jazz
Crossover Jazz
Smooth Jazz
Recording Location
Hannibal Studios, Santa Monica, CA
House Of Blues Studios, Encino, CA
LeGonks West, Los Angeles, CA
Threshold Sound + Vision, Santa Monica, CA
Topanga Studios, Topanga Canyon, CA
VixMix, Nashville, TN
Westlake Audio, Hollywood, CA

I'm a fan of The Bad Plus and its (soon to depart) pianist Ethan Iverson, who also happens to be a respected music historian/writer. His recent article in The New Yorker, "Think Of Thelonious Monk," was published, partly, to commemorate Monk's 100th birthday. It's definitely worth a read.

Iverson wrote a related article on the process of considering Monk. It's also a fascinating piece. In it, he identifies his favorite Monk albums and performances across the five label-related periods (Blue Note, Prestige, Riverside, Columbia, and Black Lion). Here's what he has to say about the Ellington session for Riverside:

"Apparently the first two discs of 'covers' were (Producer Orrin) Keepnews’s idea, and bless him for it. Monk plays Ellington must be about the first and still one of the best examples of a concept album. The gait between Monk, Pettiford, and Clarke is spectacular. Monk’s touch is more delicate than usual here, and Clarke whispers along on brushes. Each track is beautiful in its own way, I’m always struck by something new. During my most recent listen I could not believe the first wildly abstract phrases of 'Black and Tan Fantasy.'”

Thelonious Monk
Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington

Recorded (Van Gelder studio) 1955
Released (Riverside LP) 1956
Remastered (OJC/Riverside CD) 1987
DR=14

Thelonious Monk (piano)
Oscar Pettiford (bass)
Kenny Clarke (drums)

R-752414-1156588426.jpeg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom