Best Vintage pioneer speakers?

I agree with the HPM 150's....

My brothers got a 1250 with a four speaker system sporting 150's and with the volume at center mast a large amount of tight bass is part of a large soundstage. Probably the best Pioneer speaker to use with an SX-1250 from what I've heard and my brother is always finding different speakers.

I don't see where the Pioneer CS-A700 speakers have been mentioned. I listen to ambient and neo-classical music at lower volumes (due only to listening space). The CS-A700 may be a basic speaker, but the separation of sound has these as my go-to speakers. I have a pair of JBL speakers that give a great sound with a unity of parts, but the CS-A700s give a stronger separation of parts listened to at the same time.

Availability is the problem. CS-99a and HPM-100 are the most common of mentioned. Most folks would be very happy with either. For me the best value is HPM-1100. I was patient and over time bought CS-99a, HPM-100(2), HPM-1100 each set $200. I may have overpaid for HPM-200 but oh well. As I said the 1100s are my best bang for buck.
I've had my HPM-1100s for 35 years now and they still peel paint off the walls. Awesome product!

I don't see where the Pioneer CS-A700 speakers have been mentioned. I listen to ambient and neo-classical music at lower volumes (due only to listening space). The CS-A700 may be a basic speaker, but the separation of sound has these as my go-to speakers. I have a pair of JBL speakers that give a great sound with a unity of parts, but the CS-A700s give a stronger separation of parts listened to at the same time.
I picked up a pair of these CS-A700's this year, rebuilt the crossovers with Dayton poly caps and new binding posts, and I use them in my classroom setup. I really love how they sound, not to mention how they look. Very efficient, and I agree the separation and imaging are excellent with these.
IMG_6645.JPG

I have the CS 700g with the Dayton precision poly caps and agree bberkom and welcomdmat. More or less the same speaker but with vinyl wrap, very good imaging and separation. I also have the CS-A500 with Jantzen superior caps and they have even better seperation and imaging. Very good speakers in my opinion.

Hey mhardy! The project 100A is more or less the same speaker on the far left in my avatar (MCS 8225) Uses the same tweet and mid the woofer part # is W 535 for the pioneer and W 530 for the MCS. Made in USA by United Speaker. Decent sound....

I have some CS-77s and after the recap, a little demin insulation and resizing the port they get low enough for me;)

I'm looking to buy a pair of Pioneer CS-A700's to go with my Pioneer SA-1000, SF-700, and 2x SM-700's. If you all know of someone looking to sell, please send 'em my way.
Kindest regards, Jim

Did you recap the 150s? I did mine, much smoother and better stereo imaging.

No, I haven't yet. Is it much of a hassle to change them? I haven't even looked inside them to see what crossover is there. I have done several HPM-100' s. What caps are in there?

I have a pair of CS-99A, each with a Heil driver perched on top. The Fisher tube amp makes it all warm and fuzzy. But even more important than that, the speaker is accurate and sounds great. Also, you can easily drive it to ear-splitting levels, without rattles or distortion on less than 40 wpc. Great when you are the emergency replacement DJ at your friend's wedding, I suppose.
The 2nd pair is driven by a Pioneer SX-626 receiver. Not quite as warm and fuzzy.

Make them loud, and they are far from bass-shy. Otherwise, up the bass a notch.

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop
The problem with the CS-99A is the small cabinet design. People who’ve own them usually complain about the sloppy bass. They also have the tendency to resonate, which is incredibly annoying.

Yes! Finally... All the talk about HPM-blah-blah and CS-boo-boo stuff bore me. Consumer grade Pioneer POS. Exclusive!

These are the Pioneer speakers that have plagiarized their designs from REAL speakers and they look and sound like REAL Speakers!

View attachment 1029804
View attachment 1029806
View attachment 1029809
View attachment 1029810
As I recall, Pioneer did not sell very many of their ‘exclusive’ monitors in the 1980’s because studios wanted JBL.

As I recall, Pioneer did not sell very many of their ‘exclusive’ monitors in the 1980’s because studios wanted JBL.

I believe you are correct. I have never seen or heard of any studio having Pioneer equipment... it never really was a "professional" brand. It was mostly marketed for consumer home use...

Back
Top Bottom