McIntosh MA5300

XL_MA5300_Angle_Balanced.jpg
XL_MA5300_Back.jpg

I do not recall a time at which McIntosh product development has worked at this kind of pace .. Wow!

I do not recall a time at which McIntosh product development has worked at this kind of pace .. Wow!

My only concern is I hope they can keep the quality the same as they will have to ramp up production as the product line grows. I feel that they have plenty of products in their portfolio.

My only concern is I hope they can keep the quality the same as they will have to ramp up production as the product line grows. I feel that they have plenty of products in their portfolio.

Replacing an existing model with a new and improved model does not grow the line. McIntosh has had the most models compared to other companies for some time now.
thanks,
Ron-C

Have not posted here in a long time, but this new amp has piqued my interest. Here is a question for anyone who has a good handle on the tech in the 5300: is it worth replacing my well-maintained MAC4300V with a 5300? I'm totally happy with the 4300 and it has been re-tuned twice at the factory since I got it in 1988. My digital sources are fed in through a HeadRoom Ultra Micro DAC, and I have no qualms with the 4300's phono section. The 5300 is the same output (100wpc), and is direct-coupled like the 4300. So while it does not seem a compelling move, I'm just wondering if the tech has come so far in 30 years that I should seriously consider it (plus, Blue Meters...). Input appreciated.

From what I have read, the MM section in the Ma5200 was not that great. Which if vinyl is your main squeeze, is kind of a let down. I prefer integrated amps for a variety of reasons, and I wish the phono section would be taken seriously (again haven't heard the Ma5200, could be wrong.) That said you can add a kickass phono section, and if you are like me and listen to tons of music, then coming into a modern piece of gear will give you peace of mind in terms of reliability. I used to have a vintage Mc stack, it was a really nice musical setup, but I did not want to deal with the hassle of vintage problems (like, what happens when the power switch goes bad on the MC2105 I had? I don't think you can get them anymore.)

Hi, I have been drooling over Mac equipment for years. This new MA5300 amp seems to be the end of the market I am more likely to afford but I prefer the tube sound. Do you think a tube integrated towards the lower end of Mac's range is on the horizon?

I'm going to wait see if they do release the ma252. The ma5300 is VERY tempting though!

The biggest improvement I see is that the 5300 is factory rated for 4 ohm’s! I was looking at a used MA5200 from Audio Classics to power my LS50’s but was hesitant because of the 8 ohm only rating. Might have to rethink things now.

Last edited:
The biggest improvement I see is that the 5300 is factory rated for 4 ohm’s! I was looking at a used MA5200 from Audio Classics to power my LS50’s but was hesitant because of the 8 ohm only rating. Might have to rethink things now.
The word has been that the MA 5200 doesn't have a published 4 ohm rating because of a marketing decision, but that it has no problems with 4 ohm speakers.

just use the remote for treble and bass as i do with my 6700. knobs are a pain in the ass as you always have to get up to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom