Sneaky Good - What ya got

GD70 - excellent! The AR 12's are my other sleepers. My neighbor gave me a pristine pair with original surrounds and the original foam grills. They had been in his basement for years. Excellent mids and the bass is very good. Not overwhelming but there with authority when it's supposed to. If you find a pair grab them!
WOW! That's a rare sight seeing one with original mid surround and the mid and tweeter black foam trim in tact. If you don't mind, I'd like to copy your photo for reference when others are restoring a pair of these.
I got mine for free as well!
Cheers!
Glenn

Last edited:
I have a pair of Bozak LS200 that I picked up for $10 because one of the tweets was bad. I wound up pulling the full range B800Bc woofers and making some open baffles for them our of scrap plywood I had. Great sounding speakers, very smooth, with accurate bass, killer mids and sweet high end.

JVC SXA3, huge deep bass... wonderful highs... *might* be a little muffled to my novice ears in the vocals and could probably use a nice large dome mid, but man, the bass, its insane.. like, AR3a levels.. thunderously deep in my livingroom. JVC might have made a bunch of junk but these are special.

952618-jvc-sxa3-vintage-two-way-speakers.jpg

Currently listening to a pair of Altec-Lansing Altec-1 speakers that I acquired on a road-trip to Vancouver BC (craigslist). Got them for an extremely reasonable price as there is some lifting of the oak veneer on the tops. No bother. These things sound fantastic. Simple 2-way with 8" rubber surround woofer. They have displaced my Paradigm 7-se speakers that I had been enjoying immensely. Filling in the rear area with a pair of also-surprising Tannoy C-6 speakers (Canadian-made) on its own volume control. Wonderful sound surrounding me even at lower volumes.

Somebody say Shaak?
Somebody say DLK?
040.jpg
041.jpg

source: http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/catalogs_additional/1975-schaak/

As long as I am wasting forum bandwidth, I'll offer a more on-topic comment, too. Pretty much every large-ish retailer offered house brand loudspeakers, mostly as a marketing tool (high margin products that they could "throw in" with a system purchase to the unwary consumer)... but, indeed, some of the house brands - and quasi house brands such as Synergistics or (maybe?) Creative - were, as mentioned in the previous post, pretty decent.

One other example that springs to mind was the "AEI" brand sold by Tech HiFi in New England. AEI loudspeakers were (at least, pretty much were) Cizeks... and the Cizeks of that era (late 1970s) were very good indeed.

AEI by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Let me add to the DLK chants :)

I've had these DLK 2s' for 8 or 9 years. Very well made cabs and pretty heavy. I just put them back into a system and am enjoying the sound these put out.

Another DLK lover here...installed quite a few pairs of 1 1/2s as studio monitors at various radio stations. Rock jocks LOVED 'em and you could do a tradeout at the local Schaak & not spend $ from the engineering budget:) As the posted ad shows, DLK had a pretty broad product line ranging from the lil' 1/4s to the big 3s...all well-designed & well-built. I've refurbed several pairs of 1 1/2s for happy owners, have a couple pair stored and even a pair of the 1/4s for fun. Good speakers!

I have a pair of Koss CM1020 that continue to surprise me. Bone stock too so they will be even better after I get to the crossover caps. They recently sidelined my Technics SB6000As which I absolutely love.

IMG_3070.JPG

Back
Top Bottom