Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

$2.99 at GW around here.

Mitch Miller.
Elvis.
or ELO.
They don't seem to know or care.

$2.99

Even so, I have bought a few of their LP's. :)
No great scores, still nice near Mint LP's from artists I like.

My local SA dropped non-rock lps to $1.95, after a year of charging $2.95 for everything.

They get decent Classical and Jazz, so this is good news. Most of the rock stuff they get, I already own.

KORG AX1000G. Looks like a house mouse in NIB condition. Got it for about 1/2 the going rate.

Pic from the interwebs :)
korg-ax1000g-782860.jpg

Picked up some Etheral 4 M component cables for $1.97 each, Tripp-Lite AVBAR8 for $4.99. Going back on Monday for some short cables.

It has been awhile since I have been on this site. Someone had changed it awhile back, and this thread couldn't be found so I gave up on this site. This is the best thread ever, and it's one of the only reasons I come to this site. Well I thought I would try this site tonight because I found a piece of equipment today at thrift store worth sharing in this thread. I have been buying from thrifts for the past 30 years, and rarely have seen affordable tube equipment maybe once or twice. I owned a Dynaco 35 amp purchased from flea market 25 years ago, and like a dummy sold it. Regret to this day. Today I found the only other affordable piece I have seen in that span. $12.50 at SA. I don't recognize the brand, but it is a stereo amp. It's a keeper.

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 151
Not sure how they're getting true stereo with only 1 output transformer

My guess is that those are two OPTs and there is no power tranny but rather wired in a series string. Given that and the weird performance described on the eBay link, I'd probably be tempted to just use the iron in a fresh build.

Remember the movie 'Vegas in Space'? Yeah, neither do I, but I had to grab this today at Goodwill. From the movie soundtrack, here is the the hit single 'Brand New Dance' b/w 'Moonwalk' by Timmy Spence an the Sluts (Timmy plays the role of Dick Hunter in the film)

Just awful and over the top campy. Seems to have a cult following.
OK it was a slow day at GW.

IMG_3947.jpg

Last edited:
@audiobird Welcome back!

These were made by George Gott, the company being Bigg of California (BOC). Not sure how they're getting true stereo with only 1 output transformer but here's an eBay link with more photos of another unit.

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/rare-boc-bigg...tube-power-amplifier/191795505163?_mwBanner=1

Thanks for the information. Yes, after looking at my amplifier a little closer it appears to be the same exact thing as the one in the Ebay listing you mention. It appears to be a mono amp, in this case the G 50 D, that has somehow been reworked to do stereo. The old amp part # rubbed/sanded off, new face plate with the Stereo 50 logo on it. Most likely done by the manufacturer because what is the likelihood there would be another exact item in my neck of the woods ( Nor Cal ). Too much of a coincidence. Although that being said, and with what other I could gather these were not widely distributed, maybe even just on the west coast, so somewhat rare. I would love to keep this item for repair / refurb but not sure how dependable this particular setup would be from other things I have read.

The direct master titles are interesting. All about having the best quality recording possible.

I hate to burst your bubble. Yes, the recordings are well made, but they are 80s era re-recordings of 60s and 70s hits. Like so many "Audiophile" records, a nice recording of a marginal performance. Mountain, OTOH, is marginal recordings of music that will melt your face off (YMMV, IMHO, etc.).

These are some pictures I have taken of the BOC - Bigg of California Stereo 50 tube amplifier found at SA for $12.50. If anybody has some input on whether or not I should keep this amp and why, please feel free to share it. I would love to keep it, but like I said in earlier reply, I have heard that this particular re-work of a mono amp, to do stereo is not that great. I love stereo's, and music but a electronics expert I am not.

Attachments

• BIGG1.jpg
    BIGG1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 96
  • BIGG2.jpg
    BIGG2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 95
  • BIGG3.jpg
    BIGG3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 92
  • BIGG4.jpg
    BIGG4.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 87
  • BIGG5.jpg
    BIGG5.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 87
Found this at the same SA as the BOC Bigg of California stereo 50 tube amplifier. 10 " Ampex reel of 444 tape. Although the box is not sealed, the reel of tape is. $6.

Scored a pair of Klipsch KG4 speakers at GW yesterday. Veneer is chipping at the bottom, a few stains and a nick or little dent on a couple edges elsewhere. First set of full-sized speakers worth buying that I've seen at either GW or SA in a while. Usually find bookshelf, white van or crap towers and HT speakers. A couple weeks ago I passed on a pair of Acoustic Research AR-9s for $200 at SA. They were the newer version, not the desirable one - yes I double checked three times. FWIW, the SA here appears to be using a percentage of auction price average now when they price electronic gear.
I'm not sure I needed the KG4s but it gives me more stuff to store. Really don't know what I'll do with them. I have not hooked them up yet. GW just opened another store up by I66 which I haven't visited. Should be better gear as the income levels are higher. Wonder if their pricing will reflect that? 15082529798431408551724.jpg 15082530218481237480652.jpg 1508253160755711527299.jpg

Last edited:
Scored a pair of Klipsch KG4 speakers at GW yesterday. Veneer is chipping at the bottom, a few stains and a nick or little dent on a couple edges elsewhere. First set of full-sized speakers worth buying that I've seen at either GW or SA in a while. Usually find bookshelf, white van or crap towers and HT speakers. A couple weeks ago I passed on a pair of Acoustic Research AR-9s for $200 at SA. They were the newer version, not the desirable one - yes I double checked three times. FWIW, the SA here appears to be using a percentage of auction price average now when they price electronic gear.
I'm not sure I needed the KG4s but it gives me more stuff to store. Really don't know what I'll do with them. I have not hooked them up yet. GW just opened another store up by I66 which I haven't visited. Should be better gear as the income levels are higher. Wonder if their pricing will reflect that? View attachment 1026601 View attachment 1026602 View attachment 1026603

I found a single KG4 with all woofers pushed in at GW for $30 a year ago. Been hoping to find it a partner ever since. Saw a pair in the same finish on offerup for $100 a couple of months ago. Soon as I told the guy I was heading out he doubled the asking price. sigh

Found this Spider design pottery piece today. It was with the Kmart halloween stuff at a thrift store. Signed Tahn Moo Whe.

Researching it I found that it is a Barbara Gonzales 'Lucky Spider' piece. I like it and don't plan on flipping it, although some seem to fetch a grand at the Santa Fe Galleries, others less. I think each piece is unique so it it hard to value. Very detailed with coral and Turquoise beads, two of which are missing. Paid 50 cents.

IMG_3963.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not sure I needed the KG4s but it gives me more stuff to store. Really don't know what I'll do with them. I have not hooked them up yet. GW just opened another store up by I66 which I haven't visited. Should be better gear as the income levels are higher. Wonder if their pricing will reflect that? View attachment 1026601 View attachment 1026602 View attachment 1026603

I love my KG4's. Very nice speakers

On one of my weekly bike rides, in which I hit up about 4 thrifts, found this sitting in a bin of 50¢ records. I love Louis Prima, so didn't even bother to check it out except to peek into the sleeve. 2 records, hooray! Brought it home and then noticed the authentic autograph on the reverse. All I need to do is change my surname to "Genova" and I'm all set.

DSCF2606.JPG DSCF2607.jpg (In an odd coincidence, "Genova" is the surname of the second-grade girl who gave me my first kiss).

Back
Top Bottom