Desert Eagle 357

The place we all went shooting at was the City Dump, it was an absolutely GORGEOUS site, so,of course, the City Fathers decreed it was best ulilised as a dump.. VERY safe-You would have to be REALLY trying to hurt anything of value there. I bought a mid 60s big ugly RCA ..BVW console. We literally shot the Dam thing to PIECES one summer...One guy who was into Shotguns told me he'd had more fun that summer than he could remember..We'd pluck the Tubage out, & either perch them upon something, NOT normally used for THAT.

Many years ago we used to have open carry lunches where we’d all gather for an afternoon and have a good time with family and friends. It was always pretty mellow, most of us carried glocks, sigs, rugers, etc. Didn’t seem to really bother anyone. Then this one fella would show up with a gold tone tiger striped DE in an uncle mikes shoulder holster, that one drew some looks !

I saw some eyes grow big more than once and a few people leave seeing that hand cannon, ahhh sure miss those days.

In the late `70s, they did a very limited run of 8-inch barreled Pythons chambered in .38 Spl. only, intended for target use. Not many of these saw the light of day, they were sold by specialty distributors like Lew Horton, and were uber-expensive...

And still are, even moreso.

I also have the Super Blackhawk in a 10 inch barrel.
Shooting the Eagle is a walk in the park compared to shooting the Blackhawk.
The hand impact from the Blackhawk is intense.
The grip on the Eagle seems stupid big until you pull the trigger.

Managing a 44 mag is a challenge period. 357 will always seems much friendlier.

The 357 is respected for good reason and it is a lot better for many actual practical uses.
The 44 mag is more of a swing for the fence and chase the 357s out of the house.

As Harry said. "...and would blow your head clean off"

.357 "saves the shoulder" and using HP slower ammo won't pass through yer perp, through a wall, and into the street, adjacent apartmant, heaven only knows where else...

.357 "saves the shoulder" and using HP slower ammo won't pass through yer perp, through a wall, and into the street, adjacent apartmant, heaven only knows where else...

You gotta imagine that's a cool collector gun and, like a pro-street Camaro, only good for making noise and having fun or sitting around on display. A .357 is a practical workhorse that gets the job done. Although if one was 6'10'' tall and built like Conan the Barbarian, a Dessert Eagle would be a perfect fit. I can see it now... CONAN 2049... The Barbarian is Back! And he's MAD.

If you're out there counting on your weapon to protect you, then it can't be an unwieldy bonkers huge canon... IMO of course

Really+big+punt+gun.JPG

Last edited:
You gotta imagine that's a cool collector gun and, like a pro-street Camaro, only good for making noise and having fun or sitting around on display. A .357 is a practical workhorse that gets the job done. Although if one was 6'10'' tall and built like Conan the Barbarian, a Dessert Eagle would be a perfect fit. I can see it now... CONAN 2049... The Barbarian is Back! And he's MAD.

If you're out there counting on your weapon to protect you, then it can't be an unwieldy bonkers huge canon... IMO of course

Really+big+punt+gun.JPG

That was always my complaint re: Remington 870. Nice defenseive weapon but not very portable unless you re-size it.

No denying they are super fun to shoot! I'm hoping to get a few shots of an elephant gun one day! I couldn't imagine ever actually shooting AT an elephant. It's like killing a dolphin to me, but I would sure enjoy obliterating a gallon of milk with one of these!

the_600_nitro_express_is_typical_of_huge_bore_elephant_gun_rounds.jpg

Some of the most fun I've had w/guns is tossing a gallon milk jug up in the air, puttin' the Uzi on "Repeat", & seeing how many times you can make it jerk on the way back down..It ain't easy, but after you sorta get the hang of it, its really a lot of fun.. The day I brought it home, me & a buddy used the Uzi to mow down this bull-weed patch...Very wasteful, but THAT was Big Fun, too..

A Model 41 would be an EXCELLENT Ambassador to the great "Not Shooting" public...Its little/no recoil, its pretty, & is accurate/forgiving enuf to make even the worst shooter believe he/she is actually a true "Deadeye Dick" who is a masterful shooter. A goodly number of the loudest critics of the 2nd Amendment/shooting sports types have never even held/picked up a firearm. If we could just get a FEW of them to go w/us & make life TOUGH for a gallon milk jug & get to experience of how much FUN all this REALLY is, we could possibly pick up quite a few "Converts", & take a little pressure off us or a change. We typically DON'T do a good job of putting our best foot forward, if you follow....

Seconded. If stepdad had started me with a Model 41, I would have learned and mastered shooting earlier on. That is the best introduction to guns ever made, a little instruction, and someone enjoys it. The best friend the 2nd Amendment ever had.

Tickles me how The Mighty Media has now decided that any backwards 10 yr old boy can take ANY semiauto gun, say a few words over it- "Pastafazoolah,minchca poola, Bibbity-Bobbity Boo" & that's ALL you gots to do to have yer very own fully automatic weapon... Never mind that what's much more likely to happen is you'll completely booger up a nice shootin' iron,something that will be VERY dangerous, & when they catch you with it, you'll get to spend a lot of time at the local Graybar Hotel. These Bump-firing doohickies, auto sears, etc,etc, I never did trust one of 'em any farther than I could throw it..You gotta Itch to play w/a Rawk 'n' Roll device ? Do yerself-and all the rest of us,for that matter a big fat favor,find someone who has a LEGAL Class-3 gun, offer to buy enuf ammo for a nice afternoon's worth of diversion, remember to bring a BUNCH of gallon Milk Jugs, toss one up in the air, & see how many times you can make it jump on the way back down. DON'T let yr Wife shoot it-She will act like she's all scared of the big, nasty gun-But just try to take it away from her... Once a woman finds out how much FUN these things truly are, she AIN'T gonna be happy til SHE has one of her very own, too...

Indeed....there`s not a much better experience for a noob than to begin with a gun & load combo that doesn`t scare the pants off them with noise and recoil. I`ve taught several people to shoot, using my S&W 625 3-inch snubby in .45 ACP, and light target loads that I rolled specifically for this gun....5.4 gr. of W231, with a 152 gr. hard-cast SWC bullet, loaded over a Winchester Large Pistol primer. Super easy to shoot in a 40 ounce gun. Accurate, too, even raw novices usually don`t have a problem keeping all 6 on paper at 7 yards after a cylinder or two for familiarization.

upload_2017-10-20_14-58-57.png

Or you could take out the whole dairy with one of these:

View attachment 1028483

Yeah but I can't put the gun on my shoulder.. lol...

As far a rookie guns go, a 9mm can't be beat IMO. After moving to Miami Beach from NYC, where I grew up and getting a handgun is about as easy as getting one in London, the first thing I did was go to a gun show. I was amazed that I could get my CCL in three hours, and buy almost anything including that crazy .45 Derringer (which I bought immediately) and a nickle S&W .357 magnum revolver which was just beautiful (regret selling it to this day). That revolver with .38 rounds was a great way to learn to shoot. I'm big and tall at 260 and 6'2'' so it felt like the right sized gun in my hand and with the .38 ammo, it shot like a Crossman .177 air gun.

After selling the .37 back to the original owner who begged me to sell it back (the only reason it's not in my safe right now is because he's a friend) I got a S&W 9mm Model 915 which is even better as a first gun IMO. It's accurate, reliable,easy to tear down and clean and also has no kick. I added a Pachmayr grip when I bought it because the only problem was it felt small in my hand, but the little bit of added grip fixed it. It's been close to 20 years and I still love it.

However, the .357 taught me that a good gun, like a good class A amp should never ever be sold!

Some of our compadres REALLY don't show much good Judgment when trying to show a Noob how to shoot a firearm... I'm pretty guilty of this as well.The quickest way to scare the Dickens out of a Noob is to break him-Or HER- in on yer fave loudenboomer stokered up w/those sizzlin' handloads you talked Billy Joe Tom Bob into makin' for you last Xmas..You know-the ones that pegged the Richter scale down at the community college... That's about the BEST way to guarantee you've made another vehement anti-gunner.I nearly always, start 'em out w/one of my trusty Twenty Twos. They generally aren't LOUD, & have little/no recoil.Give 'em a piece that is easy to shoot,accurate & FUN. I've gotten loads of FUN out of seeing a nebbish, or Terminally TIMID kid break into a "Light Up The White House Xmmas Tree" grin after he's made Short Work teachin' that milk jug a thing or 3..I got saddled w/watching this particularly obnoxious little gal once at the farm...I was about ready to sell her to the Russians-Just to be SHUT of her- until she spied my Chipmunk .22 single shot rifle. Couple hours& a few boxes of 22 fodder later, I'd made a friend, she showed quite a bit of ability to be another Annie Oakley- & I resolved to not be quite so judgmental vis a vis a kid..

Some of our compadres REALLY don't show much good Judgment when trying to show a Noob how to shoot a firearm... I'm pretty guilty of this as well.The quickest way to scare the Dickens out of a Noob is to break him-Or HER- in on yer fave loudenboomer stokered up w/those sizzlin' handloads you talked Billy Joe Tom Bob into makin' for you last Xmas..You know-the ones that pegged the Richter scale down at the community college... That's about the BEST way to guarantee you've made another vehement anti-gunner.I nearly always, start 'em out w/one of my trusty Twenty Twos. They generally aren't LOUD, & have little/no recoil.Give 'em a piece that is easy to shoot,accurate & FUN. I've gotten loads of FUN out of seeing a nebbish, or Terminally TIMID kid break into a "Light Up The White House Xmmas Tree" grin after he's made Short Work teachin' that milk jug a thing or 3..I got saddled w/watching this particularly obnoxious little gal once at the farm...I was about ready to sell her to the Russians-Just to be SHUT of her- until she spied my Chipmunk .22 single shot rifle. Couple hours& a few boxes of 22 fodder later, I'd made a friend, she showed quite a bit of ability to be another Annie Oakley- & I resolved to not be quite so judgmental vis a vis a kid..

I'm just quoting you 'cause you're the last one in the line (so this ain't necessarily just aimed at you... :) )

BUT...... can someone tell me who these delicate snowflakes are that get spooked by a big old boom?

I was a city-born and bred straight-A student from Queens and the first "real gun" I shot was an Israeli copy of an AK-47 that damn near knocked me off my feet. It was one summer when we were visiting Miami and some other kids took me out west (it was just Everglades) where they had an engine block and some cars (I think it was 78 or 79... I was 12 or 13) to shoot at.

It wasn't full auto, and I only got two shots off, but until then the only thing I had ever shot was a .22 rifle at camp or a Crossman 760 (I had the cool gold receiver XL...but still). Those two shots were AWESOME and got me interested! The .22 rifles suuuuucked by comparison and I thought archery was way cooler. That weak "pap" of a .22 couldn't really compete with the awesome thrum of a recurve bow (oh yeah... none of that compound silliness for the Catholic camp brothers in NYC ).

But that big boom and the smack against Ford or Chevy (or Toyota? I dunno) engine block and the awesome bruise I got on my shoulder was the memory that made me head out to the gun show! I can't imagine anyone that doesn't immediately say "AGAIN!!!" after doing that will be convinced to like guns at any point. I only stopped because they told me how much it would cost to buy more more ammo!

Back
Top Bottom