The Audiokarma Official Steam Engines Magazine

B&O Royal Blue crossing the Thomas Viaduct near Relay, Maryland in 1937. The Thomas Viaduct still carries daily railroad traffic !

B&O_Royal_Blue_in_1937.jpg

The Thomas Viaduct spans the Patapsco River and Patapsco Valley between Relay, Maryland and Elkridge, Maryland, USA. It was commissioned by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O); built between July 4, 1833, and July 4, 1835; and named for Philip E. Thomas, the company's first president.[3]

At its completion, the Thomas Viaduct was the largest railroad bridge in the United States[4] and the country's first multi-span masonry railroad bridge to be built on a curve. It remains the world's oldest multiple arched stone railroad bridge.[5] In 1964, it was designated as a National Historic Landmark.

The viaduct is now owned and operated by CSX Transportation and still in use today, making it one of the oldest railroad bridges still in service.

Last edited:
Some of the American steam engines were extremely big, that's most likely because of the enormous length of the freight trains in America.

Some years ago an AK member posted a video of an American (or Canadian?) steam engine snow spin. That one was breathtaking, I wish we could have that video here. "Steam engine snow spin" is apparently not correct, but I guess you know what I mean...

An engine like this (once used at the Black Forest railway).

1aa1.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos, Chris. When I was living in Utah, we went out to see the reenactment of the golden spike being driven to connect the Central and Union Pacific lines outside of Brigham City in 1869. It was hard to believe they were able to cross miles of rugged terrain with raiload track.

1869-Golden_Spike.jpg

55760.jpg
Sorry to say I haven't seen the reenactment.

Last edited:
Some years ago an AK member posted a video of an American (or Canadian?) steam engine snow spin. That one was breathtaking, I wish we could have that video here. "Steam engine snow spin" is apparently not correct, but I guess you know what I mean...

An engine once used at the Black Forest railway.

View attachment 1026016
Perhaps a rotary snow plow? D&RGW has a few left on their narrow gauge system.

Saw the debut powered demo of the restored 1902 American LaFrance Metropolitan horse drawn steam powered pumper, "Roosevelt" ca 1996 at the Utah antique machinery association meet. I remember it deteriorating, sitting displayed in Liberty Park in SLC when I was a kid.
No online pix of the Roosevelt, little info otherwise. Will post pix of the pumper in action if I can find them.
http://universe.byu.edu/1996/06/27/slc-fire-enginernnto-be-displayedrnnat-provo-muse/

Last edited:
P_20171016_131755_LL.jpg P_20171016_131838_LL.jpg
Saw the debut powered demo of the restored 1902 American LaFrance Metropolitan horse drawn steam powered pumper, "Roosevelt" ca 1996 at the Utah antique machinery association meet. I remember it deteriorating, sitting displayed in Liberty Park in SLC when I was a kid.
No online pix of the Roosevelt, little info otherwise. Will post pix of the pumper in action if I can find them.
P_20171016_131822_LL.jpg P_20171016_131855_LL.jpg

The scrap yard in Graf' had a contract to scrap twenty eight obsolete steam locos while I was there, thot I had pix but can't find them. I did get a speedometer off one of them as a souvenier, put a Chelsea jewelled 8 day platform clock movement in it, using the original dial, and gave it to a steam fan friend, the guy that restored the hermit's Stanley. Look it up. http://theoldmotor.com/?p=157125

Last edited:

An engine like this (once used at the Black Forest railway).

View attachment 1026016

Here's a video of the rotary plow, Chris.

I was "guest conductor" on a short leg of the Chessie Steam Special when it rolled back in the day. We'd drop all the passengers on the run, back it up, and get up a good head for a fly by - always a treat!

* Still got the C&O conductor's uniform in the closet!

I was "guest conductor" on a short leg of the Chessie Steam Special when it rolled back in the day. We'd drop all the passengers on the run, back it up, and get up a good head for a fly by - always a treat!

* Still got the C&O conductor's uniform in the closet!

I was lucky enough to ride from Hyattsville, MD to Martinsburg, WVA behind C&O 614 (1981). Also rode the ill fated T&P 610 from Alexandria VA to Monroe VA and they burned up the pony truck bearing on the way back.(1977) We were stranded on the SRR mainline south west of Bealton VA. for over an hour before 3 diesels from Manassas, VA showed up. I took numerous trips behind SRR 630, 4501 & 722, N&W 611 & 1218, and 2839 the Royal Hudson.

Back
Top Bottom