Great "Every Day Carry" knives

I would also prefer American-made knives, but in the last couple of years, I have seen some damned fine blades coming out of both Taiwan and mainland China. Manufacturers such as Kizer, Reate, Stedemon, and even Spyderco are offering very respectable blades from China.
I`ve been considering purchasing one of these;

The full-Titanium version with S35VN blade runs just over $200, they also have a less-pricey Vanguard series (with G10 handles, liner-lock, and VG-10 steel) for around $80, which is a good deal for a knife of this quality.

I like the leaf blade design, nice knife!

Para-Claw_Paracord_Survival_Bracelet-770x498.jpg

just put this on my wishlist

I bought one of these about 6 months ago. Online seller had them for $16 shipped (from China) so I bit the bullet for science. What I got surprised me.

Great fit & finish, all stainless, G10 scales, shave sharp, holds edge, and solidly made. Opens with a wicked snap and zero play when it is. I can lose it and not feel bad -

778wCNI.jpg

I bought one of these about 6 months ago. Online seller had them for $16 shipped (from China) so I bit the bullet for science. What I got surprised me.

Great fit & finish, all stainless, G10 scales, shave sharp, holds edge, and solidly made. Opens with a wicked snap and zero play when it is. I can lose it and not feel bad -

778wCNI.jpg
Very nice for the money !

Today`s ridealong is the Tom Lewis fixed-blade, and my ever-present Benchmade Barrage. Last week, while touching up the edge on the Barrage, I decided to reprofile it to a Moran (convex) edge, using a rubber sanding block with a few different grades of wet-or-dry sandpaper. Turned out real nice, the finest grit I had was 400 grit, so I didn`t get that hair-shaving sharp edge. Almost, but not quite.

But, that being said, I don`t shave with this knife, it`s a working knife. I didn`t put any secondary micro-bevel on it, just left it in the "appleseed edge" state. And, in it`s present form, it`s a better working edge than the more-refined version I would normally put on it. Tested it by making about 75 or 80 cuts on some half-inch manila (hemp) rope, followed by some whittling on a piece of well-seasoned cherry branch. It performed admirably in both tasks, without any apparent degredation in edge quality.

upload_2017-10-16_22-22-2.png

Very nice Max! That fixed blade is a work of art.

And about that Karambit, yikes! :eek: That’s frightening! I like it.

Sharpening it must be a bit of a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom