Is It Just My Imagination, But Are New Cars Getting LOUDER not Quieter?

Some are. But, then again, making performance cars louder has been somewhat of a historical thing. Big difference is it used to be done mostly under the shade tree.

I think your sample set is a bit unfair. The Hellcat exists specifically to be loud (among a few other specialties). I'm not sure which Camaro the '67 is but if it's a low trim model, it has whatever basic exhaust the factory put on it.

I drive a 2016 VW Golf R. It's meant to be a super GTI with AWD and more power. It definitely has a tuned exhaust note and also has piped in engine noise (which I shut off). There are plenty of quiet cars still around though.

I once went camping with some people at a small state park campground and there were only two campsites in use, ours and some college kids a hundred feet away. We had to stroll over there and ask them if they'd tone down the music a bit. We told them that we all love rock & roll, but we come out here to get away from the city and have some peace and quiet. "Oh yeah that's why we come out here too." Uh, OK. :idea:

Some people just don't get it. I would not drive a loud-muffler bike or car daily (maybe if I had a vintage collector car it would be different), whether I could hear it or not, because I know everyone else can. That's the worst thing about the Harleys - the guy riding it hardly hears it, it's everyone he passes that looks around with a scowl on their face. :thumbsdown:

I think your sample set is a bit unfair. The Hellcat exists specifically to be loud (among a few other specialties). I'm not sure which Camaro the '67 is but if it's a low trim model, it has whatever basic exhaust the factory put on it.

True. A '67 Z/28 would have made considerably more racket with its big cam, solid lifters and "deep-tone" mufflers -- and that's BEFORE you installed the headers that the dealer thoughtfully left in the trunk.

Last edited:
I once went camping with some people at a small state park campground and there were only two campsites in use, ours and some college kids a hundred feet away. We had to stroll over there and ask them if they'd tone down the music a bit. We told them that we all love rock & roll, but we come out here to get away from the city and have some peace and quiet. "Oh yeah that's why we come out here too." Uh, OK. :idea:

Some people just don't get it. I would not drive a loud-muffler bike or car daily (maybe if I had a vintage collector car it would be different), whether I could hear it or not, because I know everyone else can. That's the worst thing about the Harleys - the guy riding it hardly hears it, it's everyone he passes that looks around with a scowl on their face. :thumbsdown:

Short of maybe the Hellcat and some supercars, there's no new, straight from the factory car that's loud to that level, at least at normal throttle input.

I'll leave it up to those that care enough to research it but, the DOT and EPA here in the States regulate what dB are allowed and that is tied to a certain road speed. I think Mitsubishi was the first with a goofy 'active' exhaust system that got around the regs of the time. It is rather commonplace now. Corvettes have had similar arrangement for years now. I'd bet there are at least another dozen models that have the same. I greatly dislike them all. To answer the original comment/question, yes, they likely ARE louder. At certain revs/loads/road speeds. Does it bother me? Only if they sound like crap (most do).

Last edited:
"retrofit HHO Hydrogen kit"

Mentioned at the beginning of this thread! I thought they died out yrs. ago as were proven to be a hoax!

Hmm I missed that and had to look it up Shadowdog.

It sounds bogus to me - using electrolysis to crack water into H2 which is then burned in the engine...which turns the alternator producing the electricity to crack the water. According to the laws of thermodynamics, this cannot be a 100% efficient process, so it must consume more energy than it generates. Now, if the hydrogen somehow improves fuel burning efficiency in some other way, maybe it pays for itself, but not by its own energy generation.

Same thought different vein.
I think cabin noise is worse.
A couple of thoughts though not necessarily facts.
I think to save money/weight less sound deadening materials. Thinner glass. The harder (perhaps should read better handling) suspensions transmit more noise. Harder bushings?.
The short sidewall tires absorb less road noise.
At least part of my observations must be true.
It wouldn't necessarily be noisier for a passerby but clearly for the driver and the occupants.
I personally would like my car quieter

Perhaps we should work together and lobby the police to enforce the laws. Where I live, practically any alteration to the exhaust system is illegal, but enforcement appears to be spotty.

My other major beef is, "Rolling coal," as far as I'm concerned anyone that would disable the pollution control equipment on a $50K+ truck must be mentally ill and therefore should not be permitted to own a gun and the vehicle should be impounded and only returned after the owner pays the federal fine of $10,000 per day for each day the vehicle was operated illegally. Who knows, the revenue just might balance the budget!

You cannot hear my 2014 LaCrosse running until I step on it. Also, inside due to triple damping, it is the quietest car I have owned. You can blast the stereo but with the windows closed it cannot be heard outside the car.

What car/truck do you have NJ I agree with you on the inside noise? I think I put up with more when I was younger & most Luxury cars have more insulation then regular cars!

I've only been in Cadillac & Lincoln's, Jags, BMW's etc. that for sure had more insulation than regular cars and are heavier to show for this. My 90's T-Bird's and a late model Fusion I rode in were noticeably lacking that way!

Perhaps one has to take the seats and carpeting out and install aftermarket foil backed insulation ( I believe foam type) for this purpose which isn't really low cost, but I bet works well from what I've read! Dynamat is a name that comes to mind and I've seen another brand mentioned. I read old car & muscle car restoration mags etc. when I see them, but can't afford a lot of what I see to try it!

Last edited:
A kia optima
Not a bad car.
Drives decent, decent power , good mileage.
On smooth roads rather pleasant, on rougher surfaces it grates on me a bit. I'm not talking gravel either just not smooth pavement.
It's interesting they send you a survey but it doesn't touch on this and they don't ask for comments. Maybe they know. Maybe they try to force you up market.
It certainly does more right than wrong.

Perhaps one has to take the seats and carpeting out and install aftermarket foil backed insulation ( I believe foam type) for this purpose which isn't really low cost, but I bet works well from what I've read!
I think you're right.
My thought is, I'd happily pay a few hundred more bucks not to have to bother.
I'm sure itd cost much more to do now but probably not more than that at the factory

NJ it could be a MPG thing also for CAFE. as Wt. is the enemy for that & even a tiny bit of % increase in MPG X the # sold in a year makes a big diff. It also allows performance models to be sold in that same model, but it's the corporate average that counts overall.

I had a Ford Festiva that was noisy on rough pavement in my younger days so I just drove faster for less time on the road , plus it didn't hurt MPG much. Used the stereo for sure to drown out the noise!

Maybe another soln is an electronic noise cancelling system as used on some new GM vehicles and maybe others! It uses the existing speakers I would imagine!

Back
Top Bottom