Pioneer Dates of Manufacture

I can see the 1st two placements as UL
That's a December 1974 unit.

Well When I took a second look at the serial number a little bit ago I saw a UI which would of put it at September of 1974, but either way its still from 1974 and I'm glad I was able to get that sorted out, but it was rather odd that the 2 letter manufacture date prefix didn't have a space in between it and the string of numbers that followed it like the serial number on my SX-1000 TD did, which the SX-1000 TD I have is dated to February of 1969 or PB.

So it's an I rather than L.
I thought I saw an L.
Anyways. Close enough I reckon.. No pun intended :D
Don't let the spacing put you off from model to model. If the serial is there that's all you need to worry about.
:beerchug:

That's an intriguing situation. I did a quick search and from what I've seen, there should a be a plate fixed with 2 screws just above the AC outlets. It has the model and serial on it.
Do you have any holes around the top right of the unit anywhere ? Perhaps the plate was removed at some point. The pic showing the inked and pressed numbers looks very odd.

View attachment 901103

Thanks for responding. There is no plate in that location. However, there are two screws that could have held a plate at some point. There is no color variation that shows a plate was ever there.

I've seen the <ep> mark on all pioneers regardless whether it's multi voltage or not.
Can someone clarify the significance of the
<ep> mark ?

Hi,
Im a proud owner of a Pioneer SX-1980 in the U.K.
The serial number is XL8400009S.
Does this make my SX-1980 a very early model dating to December 1977?

It's just had a complete & major internal recap and refurb.
Now safe and running without any heat issues so should last me for quite a few years.
Only upgrade/improvement done is Filter Caps up from 22000uF to 47000uF.
No problems with any crescendo's then! Plenty on tap!

Hi,
Im a proud owner of a Pioneer SX-1980 in the U.K.
The serial number is XL8400009S.
Does this make my SX-1980 a very early model dating to December 1977?

It's just had a complete & major internal recap and refurb.
Now safe and running without any heat issues so should last me for quite a few years.
Only upgrade/improvement done is Filter Caps up from 22000uF to 47000uF.
No problems with any crescendo's then! Plenty on tap!

A Pioneer SX-1980 in the U.K. Very Nice. :bowdown:

Thanks Pal147.
When you have a bit of spare time please take a look at my SX-1980 journey on my dedicated website.
www.sx1980.com
I hope you enjoy the read!
Cheers!
Replied, What a stunning job that has been carried out on your new receiver, and very well documented on your web site.
Congratulations.

Hi Idunno,

Wow with an ID like that anyone would think your from "straaaalia" as it's known to us down under.

I've enjoyed reading your SX-1980 web page and can totally agree that the 1980 is rather hard to find not only in the UK but also in Australia. In actual fact almost any of Pioneers's top level stuff is hard to find here opposed to the USA where it is rather plentiful and most of it is dedicated 120vac. We have quite a few US variants that over the years have found their way through our borders, but it never seems to realise the same value as a voltage selectable or dedicated HG version that's 220~240 volt only unit with the AC Bulgin 3 pin flexcord.

The "Spec" gear is also highly desirable here with not much of it around and the stuff that is, is generally quite knocked about. I was lucky to pick up a Spec 1 & 4 the other day for much under half the price that you would pay for just the Spec 1. This generally doesn't happen very often at all.

Now going back to what you've achieved with your Pioneer collection I will say that all in all you've probably ended up paying all up with the repairs the value of the Receiver itself, but as I always say "you only get what you pay for" and now you've probably got a fairly bulletproof SX, something you should be proud of.

For over the last 40 years I've been collecting Pioneer components from the 1970's and have always loved their appearance and build quality, they really are Audio Art to look at working or not. The one area I've always thought has let Pioneer down is the Speaker department. The Japs have never been known to be the best in speakers, rather with you being in the UK you are privied to some of the worlds best speakers and they're right on your doorstep. I'm a huge fan of British speakers, IMF, TDL, KEF, Spendor and Celestion just to name a few. They certainly are streets ahead of anything the Japanese manufacturers ever made in that area. Just to explain this the head of Nakamichi and John Wright from IMF were together listening to both their topline speakers in an "AB" comparison when John Wright was asked what he thought of the Japanese model and his response was "they were rather interesting" then the owner of Nakamichi turned to John and said, "you are too nice", "why do your speakers sound so good and ours sound like shit".

I guess that says it in a nutshell. The Brits were the best in speakers through the Golden Era of Hi Fi.

Now I'm not saying that the HPM-100's are bad, to be truthful I felt that the HPM range was probably the best speakers that Pioneer ever made, but you've got much superior stuff right on your doorstep.

Find yourself a good set of IMF TLS-80 Mk II's or IIa's and you'll love your 1980 even more than you ever did.

Again it was superb to read your page you've set up and dedicated to one of the worlds best Receivers ever made, both functionally and aesthetically to the eye, Audio Art at it's absolute best.

All you need now is a RT-909 and you're in Audio Art Heaven.

Cheers,
M.

my SX-727
SN: SL3720344 - December 1972 -
my727full.jpg

I have a vintage tube Pioneer AM/FM receiver, model SM-B200 (but it has a transistorized mic and phono pre-amp.) However, I can't find a serial number on it anywhere. It has dual receivers... one is AM/SW and the other AM/FM (FM 80 (not 88) to 108 MHz), also a centre channel speaker option... the notion was to use for "simulcast" stereo, which will narrow the date range.
Does anyone know the range of dates when this model was made? My guess is late 1950's to early 1960's.
Thanks for all replies.
Cheers,
Roger

I thought this was interesting -- an SX-650 made in January 1978. The x50 and x80 series must have overlapped by at least a few months.

front.jpg date.jpg

Back
Top Bottom