The Audiokarma Official Steam Engines Magazine

Nice photos, Chris! :thumbsup: I know how much you like steam engines. Here is the World's largest steam locomotive, Chris! It's at a railway mueseum in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I remember going to this mueseum when I was a kid.

http://nationalrrmuseum.org/visit-us/exhibits/union-pacific-4017-big-boy/

They also had President Franklin D. Roosevelt's personal train compartment! I remember how plush it was with it's elegant furniture seating.

Nice photos, Chris! :thumbsup: I know how much you like steam engines. Here is the World's largest steam locomotive, Chris! It's at a railway mueseum in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I remember going to this mueseum when I was a kid.

http://nationalrrmuseum.org/visit-us/exhibits/union-pacific-4017-big-boy/

They also had President Franklin D. Roosevelt's personal train compartment! I remember how plush it was with it's elegant furniture seating.
I hate to disagree but the "Big Boys" weren't the biggest, most powerful or anything.
Most continuous Tractive force - N&W Y6b's after 1952. (170,000lbs)
Most boiler HP was probably the C&O H-8 Allegheny's or PRR experimentals.(somewhere in the 7500 range)
Longest were the Erie triplex or Virginian Triplex. The Big Boys got the name because someone snapped a photo of one while it was being built and on the front cylinder somebody wrote in chalk Big Boy.

High speed engine "Bayrische (Bavarian) S 3/6" in Offenburg, Germany. I took these pictures with the camera (Voigtländer) of my father in 1975, when I was 13. It is a machine with four cylinders, you can see two of them on the bottom of the kettle.

s36 001.JPG

The "Badische IVh" is technically related to the "Bayrische S 3/6" and a High Speed machine as well. The 18 323 is exposed in Offenburg, the location where I took pictures of the 18 505 42 years ago. The diameter of the big wheels is 210 cm.

12345.jpg

And here is a picture of the fastest steam engine of the world in 1906, the "Bayrische S 2/6". The diameter of the big wheels is 220 cm. The engine does still exist and is exposed in a museum in Nuremberg. This steam engine looks really elegant.

123123.jpg

Unusual valve gear! Is it a variant of Walscharts? Whats going on with the rod and little box at the rear driver/rod?

My two favorite steam engines (tractors). I believe one is a Case and the other is a Waterous. They're dolled up for sure. Both are at the House on the Rock in Wisconsin.

HR Steam Tractor 2.jpg HR Steam Tractor 1.jpg

I was ten and a half years old when I took these pictures. The steam engine is a "Prussian P 8". Do not miss to click on the picture in order to enlarge it, please.

001.JPG

Back
Top Bottom