Classical Music Suggestions for a Metal Head

Excellent! A Beethoven sandwich. The 5th is so much fun, maybe because it is so familiar.

Try this for a little silly fun...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It looks like I might get to see a live symphonie in October in Bremen, only 30 or 40 minutes away from where I live.

Here´s the program:

Ludwig van Beethoven: Ouvertüre zu Coriolan op. 62
Johannes Brahms: Konzert für Violine, Violoncello und Orchester a-Moll op. 102
Ludwig van Beethoven: Sinfonie Nr. 5 c-Moll op. 67

I don´t know the firsrt two pieces, but it would ROCK to see Beethoven´s 5th live :)

You are in for a treat, dude....you're going to love the whole thing!

You are in for a treat, dude....you're going to love the whole thing!
I´m really looking forward to it! The location "Die Glocke" is supposed to have very good acoustics; one of the best halls in Europe :)

Tickest don´t go on sale until the end of August; I just have to decide where the best seats are...

Okay, I´m REALLY getting exited about this! The best seats are only €48 :)

I´ve been to my share of rock/metal shows in my life. Okay, only about 15 or so; but I think I´ll spend the rest of my life going to live symphonies:)

Hard to say; I have a HUGE digital collection , most of which I got from a friend. 83 GB and counting.

I have a LOT of Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Bach, Dvorak, Albinoni, Schumann, Brahms, Boccerini, Holst, Hayden, Mozart, Vivaldi and others.

I also have a few CDs that I got from ebay, very cheap :).

Okay, I´m REALLY getting exited about this! The best seats are only €48 :)

I´ve been to my share of rock/metal shows in my life. Okay, only about 15 or so; but I think I´ll spend the rest of my life going to live symphonies:)

So have you gone to this show yet, or is it still in the future?

BTW, I got row 10, seats 20 and 21.

Should be great :)
It'll rock :rockon:

I just took pix of my classical CD collection because It's grown tremendously over the last year.
Schumann Symphonies box, Tchaikovsky Symphonies box and a 20CD Eugen Jochum box (Beethoven, Brahms & Bruckner Symphonies) on the way because too much is never enough.
I'm interested in the Haitink Brahms - complete S & C box set. Anyone familiar with this box?

21728178_2025997370964416_5203268202521466699_n.jpg

I highly recommend that Beethoven/Liszt cycle by Katsaris once you're familiar with Beethoven's symphonies. Liszt transcribed Beethoven's symphonies for a single piano. It's a trip. It sounds like 2 or more pianos are playing sometimes. Katsaris is incredible and it's a hoot to hear my favorite symphonies played completely on the ivories.

21743769_2025997397631080_7078481492793543145_o.jpg

21743766_2025997420964411_4499017510183090980_o.jpg

I'm interested in the Haitink Brahms - complete S & C box set. Anyone familiar with this box?

Yes, those recordings are among my favorites regarding the music of Brahms. The Concertgebouw orchestra plays superbly, with a unique sound and texture and Haitink always makes clear the countepoint and the harmony. Arrau´s contribution in the piano concertos is also superb. A great set.

I really only listen to rock and Metal, but I was channel flipping the other day, and I came across some classical music. I watched for a few minutes and liked it. I was very impressed by the talent of the guy playing the violin. It was kind of like a good, electric guitar solo :)

It was The Four Seasons from Vivaldi. Impressive. I downloaded a free recording and listened to it all. I ordered the real CD from ebay.

I know I will probably be completely overwhelmed with suggestions, but what other "peppy" classical music might I also like?

You are on the right track: I find Vivaldi the most evocative and inspiring baroque music, and can be translated directly to a neo-classical milleu. Check out his flute concertos, RV428 (IL Gardellino) is a cool one for electric lead guitar.
I play his bassoon (and ocasionally cello) concertos and sonatas on electric bass.
One guy who was thinking along the same lines as you is Yngwie Malmsteen, when he wrote and performed his Millenium Suite for Guitar and Orchestra. Most of it is electric guitar, but a couple pieces are acoustic.
On any of Yngwie's compositions, you can hear his influence from Vivaldi and Telemann. (He also knows how to turn a lyric).

My long awaited first live symphonie is monday :)

One thing I am wondering about is, from what I´ve seen at youtube, most people in the audience sit there like statues.

I CAN´T do that! Music makes me move; I bang my head (or at least nod) move my hands and feet to the music.

The performers are moving wildly while playing, and the conductor is too.

Why are the listeners so motionless????

Stick UTA syndrome maybe

I was reading about Handel last night.
In the 18th century they used to play cards, drink, fight, etc while the band played, you know, like life.
My buddy told us about a girl that walked up and "introduced herself" to him while he was reclined on his bike in the front of the crowd at the Harley Rendezvous in Upstate NY. The band was flustered by the show but they kept playing of course. A classical concert would be different.

EDIT - Good points @Daddy Bone about in the zone and such

Last edited:
Here is a good one: Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D Major

It is often played with an electric guitar on YouTube, check out Funto's version...

Why are the listeners so motionless????

They're sleeping.

Not really!

It's a strange protocol. For such a long time now, money for the arts comes from the aristocracy. They are so... you know... aware of etiquette.

Things have changed a little; you don't have to rent a tux. The main rule is, don't spoil it for your neighbor. Some people are going to cough... hate it. Some are going to sing along... really hate it. Some are going to fall asleep... okay, as long as they don't snore. But don't hate the person, just the behavior. Most people are really into the music. They get entranced and want to be in the zone. Imagine if you were listening with headphones on. The big expensive kind, hard wired to some pre-amplification equipment, the only sole purpose of which is to drive the headphones. Oh you wouldn't want to go banging your head around with that business going on.

It really is counter intuitive. So many classical pieces are based on dance music. Ballet is awesome music, but only the performers get to dance. But the whole vibe at the symphony is this is serious music, it's harder to listen to, but it's good for you. Oh well, you gotta try it once, just to see if you like it. Live performance is about energy. The players get energy from the audience and it influences their playing, so they give the energy back. Just like a rock concert, without Marshall stacks.

And sometimes these old stiffs let their hair down and have a little fun...

Last edited:
They're sleeping.

Imagine if you were listening with headphones on. The big expensive kind, hard wired to some pre-amplification equipment, the only sole purpose of which is to drive the headphones. Oh you wouldn't want to go banging your head around with that business going on.

I don´t have expensive headphones, but my fulll sized Sennheisers have flown from my head many times while listening to Metal and Hard Rock :) I even thought about mounting some kind of strap to prevent it :)

I´ll try to keep my movement to a minimum at the concert, but that´s all I can promise :)

Back
Top Bottom