Sneaky Good - What ya got

I'll throw my EV Interface C's out there, after living with large Magnapans for a couple of years these were quite the change.
But I've really come to enjoy the great dynamics and overall balanced sound. They've grown into keepers for me. Can't wait to throw some tubes at them.

WP_20170515_007.jpg

I might preach sometimes but these little suckers, with minor modifications continue to impress. I've had friends tell me they sound like the best they've ever heard for the size. At $42 a pair it's hard to beat. That lil' AMT is a superstar.
upload_2017-10-20_19-36-14.jpeg

Ok, I am already on this thread with my RTR EXP-8 speakers which I am totally impressed with, then I added Altec-Lansing Altec Model 1 speakers that just earned a permanent space in my horde for their incredible detail and sound, even at low volumes. Now, yesterday, I picked up a pair of RFT Carrera speakers. Another revelation in sound reproduction by an East German outfit; apparently RFT was an exporting outlet for many GDR manufacturers to get their product to the rest of the world. Small, heavy 3-ways with rounded-edge cabinets finished in a dull grey satin. Metal grilles covering the drivers. Similar to Braun and Canton it seems. Excellent bass response, past their size for sure, and wonderful detail in the mids and highs. Low volume performance is great as well, which is important to me.

The wonderful part about this thread is that it is going to go on a long time. We keep discovering vintage (and new) speakers that stop us in our tracks. Truth is, even here in Canada, we probably don't have enough years left to sample all of the good speakers that have been produced in the last six decades. So many ideas, so many theories, brilliant designers and manufacturers. And we get to decide the worth of all of them by how they 'attack' our individual ears. Man, life is good! And I say that as I listen to some tunes on Sirius/XM on these orphan RFT gems. Cheers!

What speakers might you have that are sneaky good. Ones that may not get a lot of attention, are not well known or might be overlooked here otherwise and you feel are worthy of more discussion?

Mine have to be these Dahlquist M-907 I use in my office system (hooked up to a recapped Pioneer SA9100). The DQ-10's of course get a majority of the Dahlquist talk so these seem to get lost. I am really really enjoying these and might just put them in the "keepers" category if I had to pare my collection way down to a select few sets. They do everything very well, fairly efficient so can pair up with a wide variety of systems, good bass presence even at low levels with the Large Advent woofer, and look great on their original, stands.

I would not hesitate to grab a pair of these if they come around.
View attachment 975533 View attachment 975534

I remember the review of these in Audio and always wanted to hear them.
Pretty sure that is the SEAS 13GMBX midrange that I also used back in the 1980s,
very impressive midrange.
People ask about making a 3-way Advent and this is probably it or at least close to it.

My offer to this thread is my Philips MFB532 speakers. These are powered(bi amped no less), features the classis philips tweeter, and midrange, as well as a woofer with rubber surrounds and a feedback correction monitor, as well as a start up light! And a rear door panel with a LOT of complicated stuff inside, more than a crossover. They sound marvelous, and came with cool cables unique to the design, and a demo record as well, who does stuff like that anymore? Anyway, they sure sound nice with certain music, and are so unique I can't let them go, they were also my Dad's, they are in need of a complete restore, but that might be a tall order for me.
These were the mid range speaker in this line of Philips hifi MFB design, as good as these sound, I have always wanted to hear the larger models.
View attachment 976380
View attachment 976381 View attachment 976382

I remember the review of these also and that Norelco (Phillips) tweeter was the first one I
used as a young kid. They buzz when crossed too low or not steep enough.
In fact, I think that was the first dome tweeter in the McGee Radio catalog, way, way back.
The mid was used in the DQ-10 and the big Infinities, very nice.
Lots of tech in those, motion feedback, biamped, impressive and would love to hear them.

Last edited:
Fun thread.

I've written about these before but they definitely belong here: HH Scott S-196 3-way (12", 4", & 1"). I picked the set up at the dump. Nearly left them until I took a grille off and saw the Philips dome tweeter and that the woofer had a rubber surround. Dragged them home and eventually got them set up. I did not expect too much and sounded horrible but, I let them play on.

After a short time they began to sound better, and eventually they sounded great. Like, keep them great. My guess is that the electrolytics reformed while I played them. Great bass & imaging, quite sensitive, and overall very balanced not unlike same era ADS. Typical New England early 80s construction too . They ended up with a former Scott employee. Worth keeping on radar, there is also the S-197 (15") and Pro 100 (15" w/ extra mid & tw), and B versions of each.

Not my S-196 but just like them -

108550807_2_585x461_koloni-scott-s-196-krayna-tsena-snimki.jpg

This is the next revision of the Phillips/Norelco 1" dome tweeter.

Rega R7's. Transmission Line goodness in a biampable package. The side firing woofer has no crossover into the mid, just natural rolloff. It makes for a very responsive loudspeaker with excellent imaging.

Web pic

full_full_full_ae68c90351d85638f01e77925deaf1b22.jpg

I remember the review of these also and that Norelco (Phillips) tweeter was the first one I
used as a young kid. They buzz when crossed too low or not steep enough.
In fact, I think that was the first dome tweeter in the McGee Radio catalog, way, way back.
The mid was used in the DQ-10 and the big Infinities, very nice.
Lots of tech in those, motion feedback, biamped, impressive and would love to hear them.

I want a pair of Dahlquist M-907's ! Anyone in the North East?

Micro Acoustics i had for 10 years, they were waiting for a restore that never happened, the stock peerless tweeter replacement size did not exist, and only 2 or 3 tweeters were still working , but they sounded great , nice and quick sealed enclosure lows, cloth surround woofer, nice clean highs,

Attachments

• 560449071_tp.jpg
    560449071_tp.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 560449257_o.jpg
    560449257_o.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 57
My offer to this thread is my Philips MFB532 speakers. These are powered(bi amped no less), features the classis philips tweeter, and midrange, as well as a woofer with rubber surrounds and a feedback correction monitor, as well as a start up light! And a rear door panel with a LOT of complicated stuff inside, more than a crossover. They sound marvelous, and came with cool cables unique to the design, and a demo record as well, who does stuff like that anymore? Anyway, they sure sound nice with certain music, and are so unique I can't let them go, they were also my Dad's, they are in need of a complete restore, but that might be a tall order for me.
These were the mid range speaker in this line of Philips hifi MFB design, as good as these sound, I have always wanted to hear the larger models.
View attachment 976380
View attachment 976381 View attachment 976382
I've got the passive versions of those, definitely keepers :)

You hear a lot about the ESS AMT, but not much about the Performance Series. I have the Model 8 and I'm very happy with them. They beat out some Snells and ADS 570 for top spot in my music room.

001.JPG

I started this thread with the Dahlquist M-907's. I recently came into a set of Dahlquist DQ-M5's. I their original packaging nonetheless! After redoing the surrounds they, like their bigger 3-way brothers are also sounding very good.
Smaller form factor of course and a 2-way design. Magnat tweeter. Has the felt on the baffle also. Vinyl veneer on these though.

Another impressive Dahlquist that isn't seen too often worth snagging if you come across. Got these for a mere $50.
1216171009b.jpg 1216171010.jpg

I just replaced my Realistic Nova 15's with some JBL 18ti's.

Those Nova's are from circa 1988, when the Shack was drifting towards unacceptability (if they hadn't already arrived there), but they sure sound fine to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom