i want all three!

I owned a '77 Colony Park that I bought new. Red w/red leather interior
and 460 Lincoln drive train. It gave me a whopping 7 to 9 miles a gallon
at a time when gas prices were soaring . Drove it until 1983 a went with a new Colony Park but downsized to a 351.
Great highway cruisers.

I have always been and always will be a wagon man. Oddly enough,when I was a kid I knew someone who had that exact same year/colour Chrysler wagon. That thing could pass anything but a gas station! It also left a lot of ''muscle-car'' drivers wondring wtf just happened......o_O

I bought my mercury marquis brougham (sp) in 1981.It was a totally loaded 77 landbarge though not a wagon the reason it was for sale was gas prices ,recession and its ability to eat gas at a prodigious rate.(460 cid).i told the dealer he would take my off and gladly as nobody else was or could afford to run the monster at that time.Couple hours later i was the proud owner of a ocean liner and being single with a decent job i could actually afford to feed the giant pig.My offer was less than half the asking price all in.I can only dream of a colony park of the same era.

Do all of them come with oars :rflmao:? But seriously, I love those big old "land yachts". Growing up, we had a '73 Buick wagon with the 455 and the power/retractable rear window/tailgate, just like that Olds. Oh yeah--and the rear-facing third row seat. A friend of mine has the "ultimate wagon"--a 60's Cadillac Hearse--if he ever decides to sell it, it will end up in my garage. :thumbsup:

remember the gigantic Pontiac ambulances?
green-river.jpg

I think for me the Chrysler wins in all aspects except one: that bad-ass clamshell tailgate. Sorry, but that was just cool.

I will admit to not liking the green interior that was so hot in the 70s though. Doesn't matter who made it, it just reminds me of the head-spinning vomit scene from Exorcist. People had appliances and whole cars in that color too, and that was every bit as horrible IMO.

My cousin (may he RIP) had a '72 Chevy station wagon in two-tone seafoam green and primer gray finish--it was a "project"--we used to both race cars on the track. That 3-ton monstrosity had an 800 hp blown 427 under the hood, but it looked like such a beater, and because of the radical cam, sounded like it would die at any moment--amazing how much money we made racing kids with Novas and Chevelles--no fancy paint job (unless you like primer), no fancy wheels or tires, but enough dead weight to hold traction when all that torque hit. And it had a green interior similar to the Chrysler, only in classic "velour"--no leather or "pleather".

Looky what just showed up at a little local corner car lot in my neck of the woods. 1981--only 60K on the clock.

Attachments

• DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00044.JPG
    DSC00044.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00046.JPG
    DSC00046.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 17
I need that like I need a brick upside the head--but thought it was relevant to this thread. Coinky Dinky??? At least it has a 350 4bbl, not the 301 Pontiac motor from hell.

I owned the red one on Hemmings... but in dark green. I bought it from the father of a girl I graduated with for $300 2 years after getting out of high school. I bought it for a 'band vehicle'. Unfortunately it burned more fuel than we made most shows :p

My favorite part of the wagon was how the steering wheel was more of a suggestion than a command :)

Back
Top Bottom