2018 - year of the 2.0 Liter Turbo

I don't know if it's still the case, but in Europe they used to tax cars with engines larger than 2 liters at a much higher rate. It was enough that even car manufacturers like Ferrari offered a 2 liter version of their V8 (which was 3 liters for everybody else).

So, if you're building a car for a global market (who isn't?), then a 2 liter is a logical choice, and if you're trying to get as much performance out of it as possible (who isn't?), then turbocharged or supercharged seems natural.

bs

meh. as they allude to, 2L is about the size that a modern motor can produce enough hp to cruise at steady state with little/no boost, allowing low emissions and higher mileage.

there still is not substitute for displacement. gimme 7.4L and parts to bolt on and the upper power limit will be hit sooner, easier and far exceeded. to be practical, from a longevity standpoint, 1L/1000lbs should be the lower limit. but since we live in a disposable society...

Case in point, ford is touting a tiny v6 'weak-o-boost' truck motor in the f150 that can tow what the V8 does. however, feedback indicates it does so at 9-11mpg with a 3000-4000lb towed load. well gee, my 454 suburban with no OD does that...so we gained?

Unless you are towing your boat everywhere you go , I think we have gained when you aren't towing . But your point is well taken .

Unless you are towing your boat everywhere you go , I think we have gained when you aren't towing . But your point is well taken .
exactly, and when I am not towing stuff, I drive the car. we (royal we) have priorities messed up.

weedville pa?

exactly, and when I am not towing stuff, I drive the car. we (royal we) have priorities messed up.

weedville pa?
Weedville_i.gif

If you are fortunate enuff to have a different vehicle for every occasion , then I would stay away from a compromised truck like the 2.7 EcoBoost Ford . If all you can afford is one vehicle , the truck makes sense .

we are/were practically neighbors. I used to tool thru weedville on the back way to renovo for atv trips

It is CAFE regulations in the USA being stricter in the near future. I dislike them, more complexity, more cost, and less MPG when you are hauling anything or having to merge onto freeways. A big reason why I like simpler, older cars.

meh. as they allude to, 2L is about the size that a modern motor can produce enough hp to cruise at steady state with little/no boost, allowing low emissions and higher mileage.

there still is not substitute for displacement. gimme 7.4L and parts to bolt on and the upper power limit will be hit sooner, easier and far exceeded. to be practical, from a longevity standpoint, 1L/1000lbs should be the lower limit. but since we live in a disposable society...

Case in point, ford is touting a tiny v6 'weak-o-boost' truck motor in the f150 that can tow what the V8 does. however, feedback indicates it does so at 9-11mpg with a 3000-4000lb towed load. well gee, my 454 suburban with no OD does that...so we gained?

vinyldavid got better MPG than that in his 454 Suburban hauling Bozak Concert Grands and it loaded to the gills on a multi-state highway drive.

Remember how in the 80s F1 was producing 4 figure HP with 2.0L turbos? Granted those things had crazy turbo lag compared to our modern turbo systems.

I'm not surprised they're small displacement turbos. I'm somewhat surprised they are all 2L.
Id guess they aren't all exactly 2L (+ or -)
Back in the day, they were quirky. The technology has come a long way. Turbo lag is a thing of the past. 8,9,10... speed transmissions keep them in a boast mode when necessary.
I often thought )years ago, that they'd have small quick spooling turbos for low end grunt and larger turbos that would be able to come on when they could. I also thought when cruising steady on flat or downhills that they'd run on next to nothing. Even if you're a cubes kind of guy (or gal), you have to tip your hat to the designs. They're getting more horsepower and torque out of a 2L 4 than we were getting out of small block 8s in 1970 (exceptions both ways). Also they get big mpgs, run clean, and don't need to be tuned for a 100k or more. They start on the first crank (key or button).

At what cost? Ever hauled anything any distance in one? See what your MPG is doing then. I had to haul a 1KW AM transmitter 50 miles in a F150 EcoBoost, it got 9-10 MPG. Same size AM rig hauled in a 4.6 V8 F150, 19 MPG. We don't need this crap installed in things like wheelchair vans, which have a raised roof or lowered floor conversion installed, and have to haul that extra weight, and also have power chair users with heavy full rehab power chairs to haul. Sorry, want me to drive one, you have to supply 7 of them and pay for the dealership maintenance, and the extra reliability headaches. And a free wheelchair van rental however long I need it while mine is down. Fine for Soccer Mommy. Horrible for anyone who has hauling or real workload to do. I need tools, not toys. I need durable and reliable, in a FAILURE IS NO OPTION scenario. And me being second or third owner when I get it for personal use. And often with 6 digits on the odometer. I drive used and do so for years. For me, the simplest, most reliable, most durable option is needed. Nothing else will do. He and she who does not respect this, loses my respect. Sometimes, I need DISPLACEMENT! Turbo is not DISPLACEMENT. I also require room. NOT AN OPTION here.

Last edited:
Specific output is amazing for modern turbo motors. Ford 2.7 or 3.5 in a light weight chassis, say 2700 pounds or less would be stunning. Add in the reliability of a truck motor with low running costs.

At this point,
One size fits all probably isn t the answer.
If I towed or even carried heavy loads relatively frequently, I'd want a big turbo diesel
Realistically all the soccer moms riding around in suvs and trucks by themselves , a 2L 4T is a much better solution.
(Not to be sexist that goes for dad's too. Just making a point)
IMO

2 Liter turbo's are back in style again?
We must have time warped back to 1986 when every other car seemed to be a small displacement turbo

I used to ride dirt bikes at a friends cabin near Medix PA. Beautiful area, would usually hear Elk in the morning and many times would see them out in the fields. Of course, we also saw bear, especially when we were grilling steaks!

Back
Top Bottom