The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Does anyone have the Kab tonearm with upgraded wire mod on their turntable. Just wondering if it was a real big improvement in sound. My stock M3d sounds really nice on my system but there is another nice m3d for sale in my area with that mod at a fair price just wondering. Thanks.

I had Kevin do the tone arm re-wire, new RCAs, the wax mod (why not -- it's inexpensive), and the DC1200 voltage regulator (I didn't do/ haven't done the PS1200).

When I got mine back, I was very pleased with the money spent. I believe this modification puts the 1200mk2 in competition with far pricier tables and gives it the ability to extract great sound.

I did have to change cartridges. My table came with a Shure M97xe, but I didn't really like it and was using an Ortofon 2M Red instead. When the table came back, the Shure really shined compared to the 2M Red. There was better separation and soundstage. I believe this had to do with a change in the capacitance of the cables.

I am using a Hana SH cartridge right now, and I really think it is a good match for my table.

If you are a flipper of audio equipment, it is unlikely you will get your money back in the sale. KAB does amazing work on Technics tables, Musical Concepts does amazing work on Hafler amplifiers, many others do great things, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference when you go to sell.

I had Kevin do the tone arm re-wire, new RCAs, the wax mod (why not -- it's inexpensive), and the DC1200 voltage regulator (I didn't do/ haven't done the PS1200).

When I got mine back, I was very pleased with the money spent. I believe this modification puts the 1200mk2 in competition with far pricier tables and gives it the ability to extract great sound.

I did have to change cartridges. My table came with a Shure M97xe, but I didn't really like it and was using an Ortofon 2M Red instead. When the table came back, the Shure really shined compared to the 2M Red. There was better separation and soundstage. I believe this had to do with a change in the capacitance of the cables.

I am using a Hana SH cartridge right now, and I really think it is a good match for my table.

If you are a flipper of audio equipment, it is unlikely you will get your money back in the sale. KAB does amazing work on Technics tables, Musical Concepts does amazing work on Hafler amplifiers, many others do great things, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference when you go to sell.

Wouldn't be doing any flipping. I am a collector of sorts and don't really sell much. To friends if I do and then ending up buying them back. Lol. My 1200s I'm keeping for a very long time. Just thinking of adding the other to my system possibly if the price is right. I actually like the sound coming out of my M3d better than my M5G.

Just picked up my 1200 from the shop to get the AT installed... and only one channel works. I disconnected the headshell and put it back and now the other channel works only. Tried a different headshell.... same thing. Bad contacts on the tonearm?

Edit: Disconnected the headshell wires and reconnected them, and it works now. Might be bad contacts I need to clean soon. The other headshell is a cheap-o off ebay, so who knows if it works right anyway.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the Kab tonearm with upgraded wire mod on their turntable. Just wondering if it was a real big improvement in sound. My stock M3d sounds really nice on my system but there is another nice m3d for sale in my area with that mod at a fair price just wondering. Thanks.

I have a 1210mk2 and sent in my tone arm assembly to KAB for a rewire and bearing replacement. I don't have a vivid memory of the sound before the rewire but I do know my turntable has never sounded better I love the way it all sounds.

My other mods include adding blue tak to the trust plate under the housing for the spindle and the use of the fluid damper.

I love it when we put a good cart and a couple of mods on our "lowly DJ decks" and they, well the music on the album, sounds so good :beerchug:

What weights are you all using? I'm thinking of using the one from my HK table until I sell it, but it's a bit heavy and I'm not sure how much weight the motor can take.

been browsing CL for a Sl-1200 to add a solid DD to my setup to add to my modded AR, Would you recommend buying what looks like a clean mk5 that is known to be a DJ's table? for about the same price there is also an mk2 that looks shall we say, well loved. the print on the top is worn off can't even read MK2

been browsing CL for a Sl-1200 to add a solid DD to my setup to add to my modded AR, Would you recommend buying what looks like a clean mk5 that is known to be a DJ's table? for about the same price there is also an mk2 that looks shall we say, well loved. the print on the top is worn off can't even read MK2

Get an M5G. They have upgraded oxygen free copper wiring.

I have set it to nr. 1 for Nagaoka MP-110 and for AT440MLb Nr.0 :) I´m speaking about Technics SL-1210 MKII

Thanks. I've read about dropping it to 0 for the AT, but have not done it until now. It does improve it a bit. I'll try the Nagaoka in a bit.

Wife got me my first SL1200, sent from Japan. Got it running great thanks to AK. It's only a mk1, but I can already tell it's superior to all the other TTs I've owned thus far.

rvWGbr1.jpg

I bought two mount ago nice SL1210MK2 in mint condition like new... I'm curious what is difference in sound oxygen free copper wiring in M5G with compare MK2 ??

I bought two mount ago nice SL1210MK2 in mint condition like new... I'm curious what is difference in sound oxygen free copper wiring in M5G with compare MK2 ??
Non, I rewired the arm and replaced the cables long ago and it was the only upgrade that did nothing. Technics add a damper and a psu then Sorbathane feet forget the wire unless it is broke..
Chris

VTA - Another reason to love the stock tonearm of the Technics 1200.

I put on my Denon DL301mk2 today and was listening for awhile before I noticed the needle was at a bit of an angle, so a raised the tonearm up a bit till it looked to be vertical while playing. I was instantly rewarded with much more treble and high frequency extension. Always remember to check your VTA when swapping carts! You will be rewarded with much better sound.

VTA - Another reason to love the stock tonearm of the Technics 1200.

I put on my Denon DL301mk2 today and was listening for awhile before I noticed the needle was at a bit of an angle, so a raised the tonearm up a bit till it looked to be vertical while playing. I was instantly rewarded with much more treble and high frequency extension. Always remember to check your VTA when swapping carts! You will be rewarded with much better sound.

Agreed. I thought the Nagaoka MP-110 was crazy overrated and sounded terrible, but my VTA was too high. Dropped it to 1 and it sounds a million times better and I see what all the hype is about. Still like my AT440MLb better though.

I've always wanted to hear a Denon, but don't have the money right now. I do need to venture into MC's soon though.

Put it on your holiday wish list! Looks like the prices have gone up a bit but both options are still great values at their price points.

Back
Top Bottom