A new challenge! What's the best system you can build for under $500?

It can be bridged?! I have two of them now, Splatter. I tried to bridge it but had no instructions, and failed. How is it done? Do you have a schematic or anything else that can guide me? I'm sure my failure was my error, and probably a small thing I overlooked — it shouldn't be difficult. Can you provide any guidance (what should I call you Splatter or Pak?)? Very much appreciated!

I recall there should be a "stereo - mono" switch on the back, if it is bridgeable. The speakers must be hooked up a certain way too, I recall there is a "BT" position. Is your amp a P30, or something else? Oh, and call me Splat.

EDIT: I looked at a photo on the www, and the sliding switch should be labeled 8 ohm, 4 ohm, and BTL 8 ohm. Switch it to the "BTL" position, and hoop up the speaker to the "BTL +" and "BTL -" outputs. That should do it. I think I know where you can get a second amp, btw.

Last edited:
I recall there should be a "stereo - mono" switch on the back, if it is bridgeable. The speakers must be hooked up a certain way too, I recall there is a "BT" position. Is your amp a P30, or something else? Oh, and call me Splat.
No, mine are the P80. More power I guess (50WPC I think), but no switches on the back — one of them has a 110/220 voltage switch, but that's all. Otherwise they're identical, and neither has a Mono/Stereo/BTL switch. I still think they're bridgeable, it's just not built-in. The two channels share a common ground, and I believe that makes them bridgeable — if you know what you're doing... and I don't. Anyway, they're surprisingly good, very compact, and I can run them Mono with a Y-connector, and get two 100W monoblocks.

Thanks for the help, Splat. BTW, did your stack come with the separate Remote Control box?

No, mine are the P80. More power I guess (50WPC I think), but no switches on the back — one of them has a 110/220 voltage switch, but that's all. Otherwise they're identical, and neither has a Mono/Stereo/BTL switch. I still think they're bridgeable, it's just not built-in. The two channels share a common ground, and I believe that makes them bridgeable — if you know what you're doing... and I don't. Anyway, they're surprisingly good, very compact, and I can run them Mono with a Y-connector, and get two 100W monoblocks.

Thanks for the help, Splat. BTW, did your stack come with the separate Remote Control box?

At a flea market, I bought the tuner, tape deck, pre and power - $20. I didn't know there was a Remote Control Box.

At a flea market, I bought the tuner, tape deck, pre and power - $20. I didn't know there was a Remote Control Box.
Got mine the same way, but at thrifts. Got a couple of stacks, for that kind of money, within a year. I thought the Pre and Tuner were mediocre. I don't play tape anymore (big mistake) and the Deck needed new belts. I was impressed when I looked inside — it's like a full-size deck, but "folded" up the sides — and Aiwa made great decks, their 770 almost like a Nak TOTL. But the Power amps really impressed me, toroidal transformers and other audiophile stuff. They're all I kept. I only use them as "utility" amps, like to test new speakers without interfering with my main rig, or to power computer speakers (small size and silver color complement my Macs). But I always wonder what they'd sound like with superior parts. They probably need a recap anyway because of age. I had a Perreaux 200W amp (high end) improve dramatically just by upgrading 4 caps. Went from cold and clinical to warm and musical.

I know we're not talking serious components here, but maybe they could be with a few cap and resistor upgrades. Too bad you didn't get the RC unit. It's a little marvel. I have 3 of them. If you find one, grab it.

I really like the Yamaha R-S202, which replaced the R-S201, it has great capability because of the built-in Bluetooth system. Match it with any home computer that can use Bluetooth and you have the internet at your doorstep.The only thing to watch out for is that it is recommended for 8 ohm speakers. I have the R-S201, but it is currently acting as a tuner for my A-S500 amp.

Kindle Fire 5th gen $39.99
NobSound Mini BT 50wtx2 $29.00
Dilvpoetry TUBE-01 6j1 preamp $29.00
BIC DV64 (pair) $246.00
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 $148

$6 left over for wire.

This costs nothing.

bigeared-businessman-listening-with-funny-face-cupping-ears-picture-id173565712

Swapping out the sub-out means using any of the @ $100 desktop amps, but for $550, a pair of Klipsch RP-160m's and, via Massdrop, the TEAC AI-101DA desktop amp/DAC will let you play hi-res files via USB, SPDIF and RCA, a decent headphone output, speakers and a sub-out, all for $200 is a killer system for, admittedly $50 over the line. 26w/ch. powers those 160m's to face-melting output with gobs of tight bass and detailed highs without the "shouting" some older tweeter horns using aluminum were described. The reference premiers use titanium for a slightly more laid-back yet very dynamic tweeters in these new rubberized horns.

Dayton Audio B652-AIR 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker with AMT Tweeter Pair $59pr
SMSL AD18 HiFi Audio Stereo Amplifier with Bluetooth 4.2 Supports Apt-X,USB DSP Full Digital Power Amplifier 2.1 for Speaker,Small 80Wx2 Class D Amplifier with Subwoofer Output $140

using phone or tablet for bluetooth source for streaming music leaves $300 for subwoofer if wanted or other extras, cd player? turntable with built in preamp?

Sherwood RX4508 200W AM/FM Stereo Receiver with Bluetooth $155
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers $150 Black Friday special
Denon DP-300F Fully Automatic Analog Turntable $200 Black Friday special

all priced today at Amazon and can be found at other websites

Yea, I know I am $5 over but I think this would be quite a good starter set with getting into records, the receiver is decent and has bluetooth to connect to phone or tablet/computer.

Lot better than what I started out with in 1975.

Things have changed with some new gear, so let's see what we can come up with.

Yamaha RN-303 internet capable receiver. I love this guy! It has bluetooth, the Yamaha internet program and has a phono input!

I have seen this running from $250 to $300
The Dayton Audio B652 Air speakers are currently going for $50 per pair
The UTurn Audio Basic turntable is going for $179

Additional note: I see the Denon DP300F automatic turntable is now selling for $200, I think because it has been discontinued. Mine is now past the ten year usage point and has zero problems. That is also a possibility.

Total possible price 479 plus tax

The great thing about the UTurn is you can upgrade it piece by piece later on.

Last edited:
right now, I'd do:

Monolith turntable ($140 at Monoprice)
Pioneer A-20 integrated amp ($200 at Amazon)
Polk Monitor 40 ($100/pair Polk Direct on Ebay)
Sony DVPSR210P CD/DVD player ($30 on Amazon)
Elijah Craig 12-year ($30 at your local supermarket or liquor store)

Boom $500. The speakers are the weak link but they'll get you started.

right now, I'd do:

Monolith turntable ($140 at Monoprice)
Pioneer A-20 integrated amp ($200 at Amazon)
Polk Monitor 40 ($100/pair Polk Direct on Ebay)
Sony DVPSR210P CD/DVD player ($30 on Amazon)
Elijah Craig 12-year ($30 at your local supermarket or liquor store)

Boom $500. The speakers are the weak link but they'll get you started.

Prefer 4 Roses Small Batch for about the same price

Elac Debut 2.0 b5.2 $199 or Emotiva b1 $229 or Wharfedale Diamond 220 & Diamond 10.2 $249 or Kilpsch r51m
Pioneer sx10ae $149
Chromecast audio $15
Budget QED speaker cable $59

The lil Pioneer receiver is a killer lil Receiver and a steal at it's price it's the best of the bottom of the barrel budget receivers with Bluetooth and a subwoofer output... It sounds more like a budget Intergrated amp....

Last edited:
Mine is well under $500.

I recently learned from this AK thread that older (1990 - 2010) AV Receivers from Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Onkyo and others are selling for super-low prices on CL.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/expensive-and-now-worth-a-peanut.868095/

Many of these receivers include good, powerful two-channel amps and sell for $50 to $150 (many discounted 80 to 90% from original prices).

Here is a search of "AV Receiver" on my local CraigsList.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 2.09.33 PM.png

Now you add these new Dayton Audio tower speakers (google and read the reviews) and a device to stream via bluetooth your favorite streaming service from your cell phone.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 2.11.18 PM.png

Now you have an amp that produces over 75 watts per channel, good speakers, and a way to stream to your system with your phone for under $400.

(Note, just sharing ideas, I have no financial interest in any of the above)

Cheers,

Snade

Mine is well under $500.

I recently learned from this AK thread that older (1990 - 2010) AV Receivers from Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Onkyo and others are selling for super-low prices on CL.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/expensive-and-now-worth-a-peanut.868095/

Many of these receivers include good, powerful two-channel amps and sell for $50 to $150 (many discounted 80 to 90% from original prices).

Here is a search of "AV Receiver" on my local CraigsList.

View attachment 1502280

Now you add these new Dayton Audio tower speakers (google and read the reviews) and a device to stream via bluetooth your favorite streaming service from your cell phone.

View attachment 1502285

Now you have an amp that produces over 75 watts per channel, good speakers, and a way to stream to your system with your phone for under $400.

(Note, just sharing ideas, I have no financial interest in any of the above)

Cheers,

Snade
Just to point out, I'd go for the cheaper, but better sounding, T652 AIR towers over the MK442T's. The 442's try a TL design with 4" drivers Vs the T652's dual 6" in a straight ported design. You also get the AMT tweeter over the silk dome, but I can see how that might be a matter of taste.

My recommendation has updated because of my new appreciation of DIY and OB.

2x Dayton PS220-8 full range point source 8" drivers. $240
2x Eminence Alpha 15A woofers. $160
Enough MDF of plywood to make H-frames for the Alphas, and flat 10" wide baffles for the PS220's. $30
F900 mini BT amplifier. $32

Now the amp is pretty cheap, but I have a couple running in my house for music in the kitchen, laundry room, etc. They sound really good, for the price. A BT adapter to a normal amp cost half what these little chip amps cost, so it's an especially good deal. The efficiency of the Dayton and Eminence drivers mean you need nearly nothing in the way of watts to get the system painfully loud. It's not gonna do much lower than 40hz, but the speaker combo is what I'm using right now, backed up by an 18" DIY solid state powered sub. For $200 a side, this combo sounds MUCH better than it has any right to. The MDF is about $30 for the sheet, but it's enough for the H-frames and the baffles, and then some. You can get Home Depot to make the cuts if you just bring in the measurements. After that all you need is wood glue and some clamps, which every self-respecting DIY person should have around anyway! I did fail to include a 150uF electrolytic cap per side, along with a 2.2mH inductor. Very simple 1st order crossover just to keep the drivers from interfering with one another. That will probably get you quite close to the $500 limit.

After that, pair your device of choice and soak in the magic!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom