Sansui AU-777A vs all contenders

Hello 'Sansuians',

Well I've been a voyeur for long enough so I had best bite the bullet and become a bit more of a participant this post looks a good place to drop a line.
AK is a great site and source of knowledge and experience in general but the 'Exclusively Sansui' one is especially dear to my heart.
There is (as Stereofun eloquently phrased it) just something about the best of their amplifiers that gets you nearer to how live music sounds, a realness, if you will, certainly I feel that way about the models I have heard and use and that I don't quite get with some of the other brands I have tried
-some come very close. I have a real soft spot for the The Kenwood KA6000.
I am in no way an engineer though I can solder and have some small electrical experience, enough perhaps to get the bones of some of the technical threads posted and I have successfully carried out a couple of the minor mods I have seen and felt competent enough to try.
I applaud any that have contributed to the various topics but Kevzep, Stereofun, Smurfer77, Blah Blah Blah and Hyperion a special thanks go your way.
I hope to work on a couple of units I have at some point and hopefully I can pick your collective brains.
The equipment is the route to musical enjoyment rather than collecting for the sake of collecting but I have to confess to amassing a tidy little number of amplifiers (speakers and CD players). Thanks to my understanding better half I have got to keep them, It helps that she is a music fan.

So time to 'fess up - my collection:-
Sansui; 2000 X, 3000A, 5000A, AU 7500, AU 11000, AU777 (my favourite, though the 3000a is quite sublime) and a AU999.
Kenwood; KA6000
SONY; TA1120, TA 1120A
Yamaha; CA1010 (my girlfriend's favourite)

All working and sounding very good but some in need of a look under the hood as most original and untouched.

Cheers,

Kato

Kato, I'm sure everyone appreciates your kind comments.

I am interested in your opinions of 3000 vs 5000. I have never owned the 3000, but really like the 5000. In the brochure they list the 3000 below the 5000 but it's a bit cheeky with the 5000 power being rated at 4Ohms to make it seem more powerful than the 3000 (which they rated at 3000). I was always curious to compare the two.

The CA1010 I'm sure is a fine unit; I love my CA1000, although not quite as much as my 777. The phono board and main amp adjustment setup on the CA1000 is really impressive.

Oh and guess what, today marks the 5th anniversary of my joining AK :beerchug:. I still feel like the new guy on the block though! I remember 5 years ago I was pouring over recap threads piecing together which types of caps are chosen in different roles/scenarios before embarking on my AU-666 and AU-555A recaps. And the rest is history!!! Now seems a nice chance to thank all of the members who are sharing there hard earned findings and experiences with fellow enthusiasts. You know who you are - give yourself a pat on the back! I'm not as active on AK as I would like to be, but be sure this is my home away from home! You guys are really something special.

Hi Kato - welcome to the club. We all learn by engaging ourselves in the forum and sharing our projects and impressions. There are so many great people here whom I've learned from. Cheers, Tom

Congrats Smurfer77 on your 5 years. I will never forget your 777a Christmas rebuild thread. We still need to drink some beers, listen to some good amps and go fly Erik the Red. ( In reverse order ofcourse)

I am interested in your opinions of 3000 vs 5000. I have never owned the 3000, but really like the 5000. In the brochure they list the 3000 below the 5000 but it's a bit cheeky with the 5000 power being rated at 4Ohms to make it seem more powerful than the 3000 (which they rated at 3000). I was always curious to compare the two.

The CA1010 I'm sure is a fine unit; I love my CA1000, although not quite as much as my 777. The phono board and main amp adjustment setup on the CA1000 is really impressive.

Oh and guess what, today marks the 5th anniversary of my joining AK :beerchug:. I still feel like the new guy on the block though! I remember 5 years ago I was pouring over recap threads piecing together which types of caps are chosen in different roles/scenarios before embarking on my AU-666 and AU-555A recaps. And the rest is history!!! Now seems a nice chance to thank all of the members who are sharing there hard earned findings and experiences with fellow enthusiasts. You know who you are - give yourself a pat on the back! I'm not as active on AK as I would like to be, but be sure this is my home away from home! You guys are really something special.

guess what, today marks the 5th anniversary of my joining AK :beerchug:. I still feel like the new guy on the block though! I remember 5 years ago I was pouring over recap threads piecing together which types of caps are chosen in different roles/scenarios before embarking on my AU-666 and AU-555A recaps. And the rest is history!!! Now seems a nice chance to thank all of the members who are sharing there hard earned findings and experiences with fellow enthusiasts. You know who you are - give yourself a pat on the back! I'm not as active on AK as I would like to be, but be sure this is my home away from home! You guys are really something special.

tumblr_n1x5csBnvm1tooympo1_400.gif

Happy AK-versery!

Thanks for the welcome Smurfer77 and Sterofun, The forum does seem friendly and informative served up with a pinch of good humour.

My impressions of the Sansui 3000A and the 5000A are probably not as well informed as they could be given they are both originall. So differences in performance could be down to relative wear and tear.
My 3000A has the well known speaker protection factory mod work and I carried out the simple protection circuit mod( bad diode) that one of your techs kindly posted and have had no issues since, the protection light had been coming on occasionally after 5 hours plus listening sessions.
Both units have some background noise in evidence (noisy transistors are the suspected culprit, I believe) but this doesn't detract much from the sheer musicality of The Sansuis. They both share similar house sound - wide soundstage, a warm sound with depth and weight not unlike seeing/hearing the artist playing live, terrific bass with great extension and a realness that is missing(to a lesser and greater degree) from much else I have used.
Listening to Lennon's vocals on Twist and Shout from the Beatles first album was a revelation - I thought, Ah, this is what he sounds like.
The 5000A has a bit more in the way of detail and perhaps a bit more drive but (as they stand) if anything the 3000A has a sound that is even more compelling
In my humble opinion. It has a naturalness and openness that is quite beguiling, using speakers from that period probably helps.
They work very well with the KLH 6's I have set up with them.
Cheers.

Hi YellowYoda,

Thanks for the impressions. Very interesting. I did expect the 3000 and 5000 might be rather similar. Both great machines. I expect I will rebuilt my 5000 and see what happens!

I totally agree that this is a friendly and helpful place. And funny to mention that now because yesterday I added someone as a friend on facebook who was active with sansui on one of the groups there. As soon as I told them my AK handle they said they don't deal with anyone who is active on AK because it is the worst place on the internet and that most AK members have been kicked off of the group on facebook! Well, I politely said that this does not match with my experience, but I wished them a good day and unfriended them. Weird world! To be fair the guy was a pro tech and I guess some techs have a troubled relationship with AK, which I can understand.

Am listening to the AU-70 now, with the Revox PR99 playing a 3 reel 2-track Falstaff! I do think the AU-70 is edging towards being my favourite unit! That said, we used a stock, but serviced/aligned 5000 at my friends wedding reception last weekend. Some people saw the amp before music started and said "That thing is just for show right", as my friend has a lot of vintage furniture from same era.... it made sense. Then the music came... and all smiles were dissolved into dropped jaws! The 5000 can dish out some party noise! I do wonder if my favour towards the 777A / 70, would be different if I redid all of my comparisons at higher power levels. I may have to make two tiers of favourites, one for lower power, say under 30W, and one for everything else at higher listening levels. But TBH I don't listen that loud so it hasn't been an issue before, but I really have doubts that the 777A could have done the job at my friends party.

Well on this topic.,, I have a 777a rebuilt following Smurfers rebuild and I do have to say it's been quite the awesome unit for sure! But that being said I still have a soft spot for my old au-555a for some reason, just really dig the overall sound of it( after a rebuild of course!) I have found myself with a nice 3000a receiver which I picked up in its original box awaiting a test run and eventual restoration and most likely an upgrade to the service bulletin . Anyone else have any advice or thoughts about the 3000a??? I'll hopefully start a rebuild thread on this one if anyone is interested?? I can always benefit from Sansui gurus.....:biggrin::D

Well on this topic.,, I have a 777a rebuilt following Smurfers rebuild and I do have to say it's been quite the awesome unit for sure! But that being said I still have a soft spot for my old au-555a for some reason, just really dig the overall sound of it( after a rebuild of course!) I have found myself with a nice 3000a receiver which I picked up in its original box awaiting a test run and eventual restoration and most likely an upgrade to the service bulletin . Anyone else have any advice or thoughts about the 3000a??? I'll hopefully start a rebuild thread on this one if anyone is interested?? I can always benefit from Sansui gurus.....:biggrin::D

I think the 3000 and 5000 are closer to the 777A than the 555A if that means anything to you. Definitely rebuild your 3000 though! I think the 3000/5000 might be higher on my list than the Eight Deluxe for now, but to be fair I have yet to hear a rebuilt 8D.... I must get onto that project!

Hi Fuxtor,
yes i am interested, please start an rebuild thread. The Modell 3000 is very near sounding to the au-777a. I have a totally recapped Sansui Modell 3000. It was my first experience in total recapping two yaers ago, but today with my experience from now i would make some things different. I have made some pics and maybe i open it and make some futher changes. I would help, if I can and i can post some nice nudes from it.
There are a little bit differences between the first build model 3000 and the later ones. I have a later one with all the service changes from the sansui servive bulletin.
Because of some problems with some original diodes in the power amp there may be a risk for the speakers, if there are no coupling caps at the output. I have 2x1000uF/35V Bipolar per channel (Nichicons).
The 3000 is my personal No. 3 after the TR 707E and the AU-777a. i my ears It sounds better than my recapped following four:
Kenwood TK140X (nearly the same amp as the KA6000), Sony TA3200F, Harman Kardon 930, or Marantz 2265B.
Greets Rainer

Last edited:
Hi Fuxtor,
yes i am interested, please start an rebuild thread. The Modell 3000 is very near sounding to the au-777a. I have a totally recapped Sansui Modell 3000. It was my first experience in total recapping two yaers ago, but today with my experience from now i would make some things different. I have made some pics and maybe i open it and make some futher changes. I would help, if I can and i can post some nice nudes from it.
There are a little bit differences between the first build model 3000 and the later ones. I have a later one with all the service changes from the sansui servive bulletin.
Because of some problems with some original diodes in the power amp there may be a risk for the speakers, if there are no coupling caps at the output. I have 2x1000uF/35V Bipolar per channel (Nichicons).
The 3000 is my personal No. 3 after the TR 707E and the AU-777a. i my ears It sounds better than my recapped following four:
Kenwood TK140X (nearly the same amp as the KA6000), Sony TA3200F, Harman Kardon 930, or Marantz 2265B.
Greets Rainer
Good stuff! I am going to have to check and see if it's an earlier model or a later one. As far as the coupling caps, I think I read that increasing them to 4700uf will give the unit some extra ooomph in the low end...

Good stuff! I am going to have to check and see if it's an earlier model or a later one. As far as the coupling caps, I think I read that increasing them to 4700uf will give the unit some extra ooomph in the low end...

I found cap type, not just value to be really important. The info and comparisons are in one of my rebuilds. Nichicon kg is a aafe bet :)

Hi YellowYoda,

Thanks for the impressions. Very interesting. I did expect the 3000 and 5000 might be rather similar. Both great machines. I expect I will rebuilt my 5000 and see what happens!

I totally agree that this is a friendly and helpful place. And funny to mention that now because yesterday I added someone as a friend on facebook who was active with sansui on one of the groups there. As soon as I told them my AK handle they said they don't deal with anyone who is active on AK because it is the worst place on the internet and that most AK members have been kicked off of the group on facebook! Well, I politely said that this does not match with my experience, but I wished them a good day and unfriended them. Weird world! To be fair the guy was a pro tech and I guess some techs have a troubled relationship with AK, which I can understand.

Am listening to the AU-70 now, with the Revox PR99 playing a 3 reel 2-track Falstaff! I do think the AU-70 is edging towards being my favourite unit! That said, we used a stock, but serviced/aligned 5000 at my friends wedding reception last weekend. Some people saw the amp before music started and said "That thing is just for show right", as my friend has a lot of vintage furniture from same era.... it made sense. Then the music came... and all smiles were dissolved into dropped jaws! The 5000 can dish out some party noise! I do wonder if my favour towards the 777A / 70, would be different if I redid all of my comparisons at higher power levels. I may have to make two tiers of favourites, one for lower power, say under 30W, and one for everything else at higher listening levels. But TBH I don't listen that loud so it hasn't been an issue before, but I really have doubts that the 777A could have done the job at my friends party.

Ha,Ha, well I guess you can't please all the people. The Au 70 is that a Valve design? Never had the opportunity and in the UK - even more scarce than the early solid state designs. I have heard said that their valve designs are not up to the solid state ones. This may or may not be the case of course. Must try the Au555 as it seems to punch well above it's weight class.
Interesting about how the lower powered 777 would compare the beefier siblings the 3000A and the 5000A and like you at the levels I listen to I can't really tell a difference- perhaps this would hinge on speaker efficiency and room size. It would be good to hear them in a larger space though. Cheers, Kato

I'd also like to throw my hat into this one as I also have a 3000A which hopefully will get the restoration treatment, perhaps by someone more competent than myself though.

Ha,Ha, well I guess you can't please all the people. The Au 70 is that a Valve design? Never had the opportunity and in the UK - even more scarce than the early solid state designs. I have heard said that their valve designs are not up to the solid state ones. This may or may not be the case of course. Must try the Au555 as it seems to punch well above it's weight class.
Interesting about how the lower powered 777 would compare the beefier siblings the 3000A and the 5000A and like you at the levels I listen to I can't really tell a difference- perhaps this would hinge on speaker efficiency and room size. It would be good to hear them in a larger space though. Cheers, Kato

Yes, the AU-70 is a valve design. Although the 70s solid-state units are particularly well liked, I don't think many would argue that the valve designs were not up to par. In fact the AU-777, 555A, 555, 222 and many of the Solid State receivers share very similar designs to the AU-70 era amps. And Sansui transformers were definitely great. I would say the AU-70 sounds extremely similar to the AU-777A and I can't decide if it really sounds better it is just the 'sex appeal'. The 555A is a very special unit, but if you are a bass freak it will not deliver like the 777 or 5000 (at least not without using tone controls).

Yelloyoda said
Must try the Au555 as it seems to punch well above it's weight class.

I agree totally to that. Last Tuesday i heared a AU-555 maybe better sounding as my rebuild AU-777a. A friend of mine has many different Solid State Classics. I took my rebuild AU-777a to him and we compared AU-777, AU-999, AU-777a, AU 222, AU-555 and some recapped Sonys, Kenwoods, The Fischer 505, Harman Kardon 330B and so on.
Wonderfull Beauties...

47vsi2q.jpg

Some of his Sansuis:
mtfyYSz.jpg

Now i am restoring my new AU-222 and i am searching for a nice AU-555 to rebuild.

Greets Rainer

Yelloyoda said
Must try the Au555 as it seems to punch well above it's weight class.

I agree totally to that. Last Tuesday i heared a AU-555 maybe better sounding as my rebuild AU-777a. A friend of mine has many different Solid State Classics. I took my rebuild AU-777a to him and we compared AU-777, AU-999, AU-777a, AU 222, AU-555 and some recapped Sonys, Kenwoods, The Fischer 505, Harman Kardon 330B and so on.
Wonderfull Beauties...

47vsi2q.jpg

Some of his Sansuis:
mtfyYSz.jpg

Now i am restoring my new AU-222 and i am searching for a nice AU-555 to rebuild.

Greets Rainer

Note that the AU-555A (and closely related AU-505) is somewhat different to the AU-555 in both design and sound. In my house, the AU-555 didn't really work to my liking, as can be read in post #1. I think the AU-555 and the AU-999 are the only two models I have owned & sold off with no intent of buying again. I have somewhat revised my opinion of the AU-555 in that it does come alive a bit higher volumes (and please nobody be upset... it's just my personal opinion and remember, my room, speakers and tastes may be different so nobody should think the AU-555 is bad, it just isn't for me. The AU-999, on the other hand, is arguably flawed in stock format though).

And to show a bit of a funny side to that last comment of two, I have bought an AU-999 to try that model again (!), as my only impression before were with 3 previous units I owned, all without the recently developed mods to correct the faulty preamp, and other improvements.

Back
Top Bottom