Mark Levinson No. 585 Integrated Amp

Packaging is heavy to support these beasts.

Here's the box for my No. 23. There is foam to support the amp inside the brown box in the middle, then that box is supported by foam as you see inside another box, which is then put inside another double thick outer box.

20171008_161729.jpg

I think you did not spend enough money, yet. Break out the wallet and buy some flowers for the Mrs.

She's still happy from the gifts I gave her for no occasions at all over the last few months. Fed-Ex guy drops off a box, she brings it to me, and I say, "No, this one's yours." She gets excited. It was a tip by Jacob, who sent gifts ahead for his brother to ensure smooth sailing upon arrival. Keeps me out of dog house.

Well, good for you! You sound like the ideal couple.

(My wife seems happy with my presence and my charm and that seems to work but I know not to push my luck) :naughty:

I am not sure if her comments were genuine or just jokingly bitchy but they seem like comments I make about stuff I participate in my wife’s life. :beerchug:

Anyway, I hope the new amp is worth the effort!

Houston, we have splashdown.

When I saw from the tracker that the No. 585 was out for delivery this morning, I changed my sig. FedEx delivered it just a few moments ago. It is beautiful. A big, beautiful 27" x 27" square cardboard box, 19" high, large and heavy enough to house such an amp, so I like my chances of there being one inside. It may be Sat or Sun before I actually see it because all the work we had planned to do Tuesday to prepare for it was delayed due to my not wanting to awaken Christine on her single mid-week day off.

We need to unload our cabinet, enlarge some of it's current rear access openings (jigsaw), and saw one new large one for the amp. Then a reload and rewire. I figure four hours, so it will likely require eight. Can't wait to hear it! Actually, it seems I can.

i'm sure it can't be too hard to find a local AKer to help with this

can't wait to see how this turns out

From your fingers to their eyes.

Last edited:
Not sawing large enough access holes in the thin walnut ply-board back was a mistake. We still had to pull most components out (or sideways) for the wire-up, a pita. However, it may well have been a mistake to my advantage now, as I intend this cabinet to house this amp for the rest of our lives. So I plan to make some BIG openings so that we can simply roll the cabinet away from the wall and easily connect everything without Houdini-like arm contortions required, just as I first envisioned when designing the cabinet. Anything less would be a continuing nightmare for us with a 72-lb amp in play. A body at rest tends to stay at rest.

Sorry, still no pics. Christine and I spent thirteen continuous hours from unbox to hearing music at 0100 today. I only had the chance to hear a few songs before she wanted to watch TV. At our house, TV sound is provided by Roku, Khorns and, now, the No. 585. Thing looks brand new. First impressions would just be gushing, so I'll save what will be a dubious attempt at a review for a few days, or more, or maybe less. Later today it will be my turn for music, and I'm looking forward to it.

I did take a pic of the box left by the shipper:

smashbox.jpg

Left channel out and still sounds great! A keeper!

One of MIL's home health nurses dropped by today for a blood draw - Tara's a great stick - and we were listening to Cat Stevens because we're old (after that we grew even older and listened to Louis Prima). Christine surprised me.

"So, Tara, do you think the speakers sound better than last time?" She asked. This could be interesting, I thought.

"Oh, yes, I was just thinking that! I mean, I thought it sounded the best I ever heard last time, but it seemed like it was even better today. Maybe it's just I like Cat Stevens so much - my mother had all his records."

"Well, he got a new amp. It's some kind of special amp - an integrated one - that means it's three pieces in one. I didn't think I'd be able to hear a difference, but he was right. It does sound better. It's a lot more powerful than what he had, and I was afraid when he got it that it would be too loud, but it turned out that it sounds so much better that you don't have to turn it up as loud to hear everything. So even though it has a lot more power, he doesn't play it as loud as he did with the other amp."

"Really?" I perceived that Christine was losing her audience, she'd exceeded Tara's level of interest.

"Yes. He thinks it's beautiful. I've gotten used to the way it looks, and I do like how you can see the volume across the room, and it-"

"So, Tara, how many more homes are you vampiring today?" I could see the young lady needed rescuing from our budding audio proselyte, while Christine barely noticed the interruption since medical work falls more naturally in her wheelhouse anyway. So an unexpected reversal of roles today in chez musichal.

Last edited:
At least you managed to get control of the situation before your new tech-enthusiast got into the merits of various speaker wires and interconnects.
Next week, maybe...

At least you managed to get control of the situation before your new tech-enthusiast got into the merits of various speaker wires and interconnects.
Next week, maybe...

Maybe I'll just tell her I changed speaker wire and ask her if it sounds better. I'm e-vile that way.

If it sounds excellent++ now, it should sound darn close to “as good as it gets” once that is fixed. Stinks you (guessing, maybe not) have to send it back but at least it is under warranty.

I apologize. I thought you were ribbing me about that picture I posted, which was me just joking. No, FedEx delivered it unscathed, and it is in excellent condition. And I enjoy it daily. So, if my joke got you, then I'm sorry. On the other hand, if you are ribbing me, then ya got me!

No you got me. I thought the pic and comment below it in post #56 were real. Then you saw I was down and went in for the kill in #64. I see how you are. I do feel better knowing that all is well. Enjoy and I would loooooove to hear your setup! (nice one, and lol)

Fall by the house anytime - you get VIP status.

I apologize. I thought you were ribbing me about that picture I posted, which was me just joking. No, FedEx delivered it unscathed, and it is in excellent condition. And I enjoy it daily. So, if my joke got you, then I'm sorry. On the other hand, if you are ribbing me, then ya got me!

You got me too! I couldn't understand how you almost casually stated that the left channel didn't work. I would have been a lunatic. Then your statement about connecting both speakers to the right channel had me thinking WTF. Yep, got me good.

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom