Denon dp 80 vs yamaha gt 2000

filipealm

Hi
What do you guys think !? Who's better demon dp 80 or Yamaha gt 2000 and why?
I have a demon dp 80 but I considering a Yamaha gt 2000.
Let the fight begin.

Hi
Let the fight begin.

Well since the DP80 was sold as a drive unit, its performance is going to be partially defined by what plinth and what arm it is being used with. The Yamaha will have an integrated arm packaged with it, although there are a couple of choices for it as I understand. I am far from a GT 2000, and its variants, expert. So those folks will be along shortly to comment on its merits.

Here is something I never thought I would ever say. if these higher quality drive units are installed in the same quality level of plinth, I think they are going to sound more alike than different. I have a SP 10 and DP 75, and there might be minor differences between them in terms of SQ, I suspect that the differences in arm design and capability are far more influential to the sound differences. And of course, what types of cartridges you end up installing.

Tell us a bit more about your DP 80, and any pics of course are appreciated, and we can discuss it more intelligently against the GT 2000.

Regards
Mister Pig

I'v had the opportunity to listen to a fellow AK member (JBLNUT) GT2000 and IMO it's in the same league as my DP-75/VPI plinth/EPA-100 tonearm. Along with Theophile they can update you as to all the GT2000 options. Done right as Mr Pig stated all the top tier DD tables from Sony/Technics/JVC/Denon/Yamaha/Kenwood etc will come very close in sound quality with the cartridge choice being the deciding factor. I doubt you will find one noticably better sounding than the other as each companies reputation was riding on their best tables they held nothing back.

Only one way to actually know. I recommend buying the Yamaha, have a shoot-out using the same cartridge, fill us in on your findings and conclusion, and sell the loser.

What plinth and TA are you using?

Nailer's suggestion might be the only way to know first hand.

However, The Japanese voted with their wallets and made the GT 2000 the highest selling TOTL direct drive in Japan. There must have been a reason for that. 32 years after they ceased manufacturing the GT 2000, it still finds demand in the market place. There are lots of them for sale, but they don't sit and collect dust waiting to sell. They are usually snapped up within a week. There must be a reason for that. What the GT 2000 had as an advantage over most other DDs is that the base model is upgradeable. The GT 2000's upgrade elements are also in red hot demand in Japan. That also occurs for a reason.

The DP80 is by the account of a fellow I trust, a very good turntable. Not chopped liver by any stretch of the imagination. Yet it doesn't get the attention or price in Japan that the GT 2000 does. Sometimes money does talk.

I have to think that once you get to a certain level, a DD quartz lock motor is a DD quartz lock motor. I'd think that the plinth/suspension/arm designs would have a much larger impact on the tangibles.

Here some pics . I have rb 1000 to install on it . the plinth is original denon . I'm trying to buy another SME series v to install on it. I already have one SME series v but is installed on my gyro Dec . the thing with the gt 2000 is that I want a auto lift turntable . probably gona buy the gt 2000 . but I also need a better amp and money doesn't come free . the other thing with the gt2000 is that is easy to find a 220v power supply and this way you don't need the step down converter.IMG_20171028_175516.jpg IMG_20171028_175445.jpg IMG_20171024_211509.jpg

Pray tell what might other ways be? ;)

However, The Japanese voted with their wallets and made the GT 2000 the highest selling TOTL direct drive in Japan. There must have been a reason for that. 32 years after they ceased manufacturing the GT 2000, it still finds demand in the market place. There are lots of them for sale, but they don't sit and collect dust waiting to sell. They are usually snapped up within a week. There must be a reason for that. What the GT 2000 had as an advantage over most other DDs is that the base model is upgradeable. The GT 2000's upgrade elements are also in red hot demand in Japan. That also occurs for a reason.

The DP80 is by the account of a fellow I trust, a very good turntable. Not chopped liver by any stretch of the imagination. Yet it doesn't get the attention or price in Japan that the GT 2000 does. Sometimes money does talk.

Sounds like herd mentality. :thumbsup:

Here some pics . I have rb 1000 to install on it . the plinth is original denon . I'm trying to buy another SME series v to install on it. I already have one SME series v but is installed on my gyro Dec . the thing with the gt 2000 is that I want a auto lift turntable . probably gona buy the gt 2000 . but I also need a better amp and money doesn't come free . the other thing with the gt2000 is that is easy to find a 220v power supply and this way you don't need the step down converter.View attachment 1033743 View attachment 1033745 View attachment 1033746

Thanks for the additional info. Auto lift is a nice feature. My Dragon CT, PL-L1000 and 1219 have it. Appears you have three audio desires to prioritize.

Afaik, the autolift is an upgrade part forthe 2000 and stock for 2000L and -X. My GT doesn‘t have it

It might very well be GT-2000 is the better turntable, but I don't think the reasoning you present is necessarily any indication of that. Used market desireability and pricing often has more to do with factors other than actual real world performance - while the desireable stuff usually does perform well, it doesn't necessarily perform any better (and could very well be worse) than similar pieces which happen to be less desireable on the used market for whatever reason. I don't think the Japanese market is immune to this.

The GT-2000 with it's gigantic and tremendous looks is certainly the more impressive piece visually, while the Denon in approach is quite different, right down to using 3-phase AC-motor instead of a DC-motor like most competition. Likewise that platter is relatively light weight but of double layer construction with a damping material in between. Beyond that the Denon was a motor unit only (though of course Denon provided plinths and arms for it) while the Yamaha was a complete package. I've seen the DP-80 compared favorably to Technics SP-10mk2 and even mk3 and like the GT-2000, haven't read anything negative about it. For what it's worth, both seem to be relatively affordable in the used market in Japan, so anyone adventurous enough and with a few thousand $$$ to spare could get both and compare :) Shouldn't be any difficulty in selling the loser.

The Yamaha is a complete "record player", nothing more needed except cart, and it's ready to go. It's also very sexy. This would explain much of its appeal in the marketplace. The Denon is not complete, needs a lot of work to get going, and is not sexy. These factors could explain some of the comparative price and desirability. I have the D80. I'd love to have the GT-2000 as well.

Last edited:
Hi
Let the fight begin.

What is there to fight about ?

You do realize that the Yamaha GT-2000 motor is from JVC.

Yamaha did not even make the motor. :D

It might very well be GT-2000 is the better turntable, but I don't think the reasoning you present is necessarily any indication of that. Used market desireability and pricing often has more to do with factors other than actual real world performance - while the desireable stuff usually does perform well, it doesn't necessarily perform any better (and could very well be worse) than similar pieces which happen to be less desireable on the used market for whatever reason. I don't think the Japanese market is immune to this.

The GT-2000 with it's gigantic and tremendous looks is certainly the more impressive piece visually, while the Denon in approach is quite different, right down to using 3-phase AC-motor instead of a DC-motor like most competition. Likewise that platter is relatively light weight but of double layer construction with a damping material in between. Beyond that the Denon was a motor unit only (though of course Denon provided plinths and arms for it) while the Yamaha was a complete package. I've seen the DP-80 compared favorably to Technics SP-10mk2 and even mk3 and like the GT-2000, haven't read anything negative about it. For what it's worth, both seem to be relatively affordable in the used market in Japan, so anyone adventurous enough and with a few thousand $$$ to spare could get both and compare :) Shouldn't be any difficulty in selling the loser.
My guess is that anyone who buys any one of the candidates is "the winner". Whether the DP-80 or GT-2000 is one better than the other there can be little doubt which one is prettier and more impressive. Styling sells, even in the high end audio realm.

The Yamaha is a complete "record player", nothing more needed except cart, and it's ready to go. It's also very sexy. This would explain much of its appeal in the marketplace. The Denon is not complete, needs a lot of work to get going, and is not sexy. These factors alone would explain comparative price and desirability. Sound or engineering quality need not have anything to do with it. I have the D80. I'd love to have the GT-2000 as well.

The GT-2000 is an integrated turntable that needs a cartridge in order to play records. :thumbsup:

My guess is that anyone who buys any one of the candidates is "the winner". Whether the DP-80 or GT-2000 is one better than the other there can be little doubt which one is prettier and more impressive. Styling sells, even in the high end audio realm.

Looks are as, if not more, important than sound in the high end.

Back
Top Bottom