Jazz Fusion Playlist

Howdy @luvmusik!! Great to see you here thanks for popping in brother, I hope all is going well for you.

Very cool, I remember seeing & wanting that book back then. I just searched it out and it was first printed in 1979!

"In Fusion We Trust" Cheers! :beerchug:

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/jazz-rock-fusion-the-people-the-music-by-bill-siegel.php?width=1280

Thanks Bob ! Popping in when possible. You're right - the original printing was back then, the one here at home, it is the coffee-table type layout book size. Think the newer printing may be (?) standard size, dunno; but, believe the content may not have changed.

Cool link about the book. That is a great site for info on artists, music & albums.

Another sorta related bit of news is hi-end is finally gettin' it, as a few companies are now currently selling & again manufacturing Reel to Reel machines. The recent hi-fi audio shows worldwide had most of the handful of companies present their machines as source front end gear for ultra-exotic luxury systems. Reviewers consensus was that rtr blew away everything else, is the top trend to keep an eye on, and many stated rtr was the highlight of entire show(s) - all gear considered. Absolute Sound, Stereophile & others are glowing about it, praising it's format virtues.

Most companies have modified & upgraded pre-existing mfr rtr machines (and some very well, tweaking to max out), and 2 or 3 others are actually now making a whole new rtr machine manufactured as brand new. Believe all but 1 unit both record & play (1 mfr is only playback). I made a list recently noted of them all somewhere here last month. Highly anticipated is the upcoming release of the brand new Revox RTR machine any day now - price is very reasonable.

3 companies are now again making brand new reel tapes and they are expensive ! That's the tuff part. But all our vintage tapes/masters are compatible to play on the new machines. There was some (but few) great fusion albums on RTR from factory release. Cherished here is a legally-owned Master reel tape 15 ips 2 track 10 inch copy reel of Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior. Very safely stored - it is mindblowing in it's original format. Some time ago grabbed many live reels of fusion from 2 engineer friends legally owned of many artists, plus a bunch of fusion album masters on reel, also all legal, all the classic greats from @ 1970 to 1980 era.

We've been telling folks for decades reel is the ultimate experience; funny how we got in when prices were low; now it's a near-luxury source (but particularly new Revox & other current machines are reasonable; it's the brand new tapes that are pricey). More titles are added as months go by. These current worldwide hifi audio shows are pairing RTR machines into 6-figure and above exotica systems, stunning everyone with the reel (real) fidelity. Hang on to those '70's reel to reel Jazz-Rock Fusion tapes, they're worth it !

So glad reels are now again spinnin' with Fusion to boot; it's a phenomenal experience bringing the two (genre/format) together !

Cheers Good Buddy ! :beerchug:

Thanks Bob ! Popping in when possible. You're right - the original printing was back then, the one here at home, it is the coffee-table type layout book size. Think the newer printing may be (?) standard size, dunno; but, believe the content may not have changed.

Cool link about the book. That is a great site for info on artists, music & albums.

Another sorta related bit of news is hi-end is finally gettin' it, as a few companies are now currently selling & again manufacturing Reel to Reel machines. The recent hi-fi audio shows worldwide had most of the handful of companies present their machines as source front end gear for ultra-exotic luxury systems. Reviewers consensus was that rtr blew away everything else, is the top trend to keep an eye on, and many stated rtr was the highlight of entire show(s) - all gear considered. Absolute Sound, Stereophile & others are glowing about it, praising it's format virtues.

Most companies have modified & upgraded pre-existing mfr rtr machines (and some very well, tweaking to max out), and 2 or 3 others are actually now making a whole new rtr machine manufactured as brand new. Believe all but 1 unit both record & play (1 mfr is only playback). I made a list recently noted of them all somewhere here last month. Highly anticipated is the upcoming release of the brand new Revox RTR machine any day now - price is very reasonable.

3 companies are now again making brand new reel tapes and they are expensive ! That's the tuff part. But all our vintage tapes/masters are compatible to play on the new machines. There was some (but few) great fusion albums on RTR from factory release. Cherished here is a legally-owned Master reel tape 15 ips 2 track 10 inch copy reel of Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior. Very safely stored - it is mindblowing in it's original format. Some time ago grabbed many live reels of fusion from 2 engineer friends legally owned of many artists, plus a bunch of fusion album masters on reel, also all legal, all the classic greats from @ 1970 to 1980 era.

We've been telling folks for decades reel is the ultimate experience; funny how we got in when prices were low; now it's a near-luxury source (but particularly new Revox & other current machines are reasonable; it's the brand new tapes that are pricey). More titles are added as months go by. These current worldwide hifi audio shows are pairing RTR machines into 6-figure and above exotica systems, stunning everyone with the reel (real) fidelity. Hang on to those '70's reel to reel Jazz-Rock Fusion tapes, they're worth it !

So glad reels are now again spinnin' with Fusion to boot; it's a phenomenal experience bringing the two (genre/format) together !

Cheers Good Buddy ! :beerchug:

Excellent post brother!! Your Romantic Warrior tape is a treasure!! The sonics on that album is incredible on vinyl, can't imagine how great that tape mastered @ 15 ips would sound! :thumbsup:

Incredible news on John McLaughlin's U.S. Farewell Tour!!

Unfortunately they aren't playing in Arizona so I was going to miss this show and I have been really bummed out about missing it . . . . but they going to have a "Free Live Streaming Webcast" of the full concert next Saturday night at 8 pm Eastern!! I've seen every tour that JM has ever played in the U.S. since my first show on the "Birds of Fire" tour in '73.
Can't wait till Saturday Night!! :beerchug:

https://www.jambase.com/article/joh...announce-free-webcast-featuring-4th-show-tour

Incredible news on John McLaughlin's U.S. Farewell Tour!!

Unfortunately they aren't playing in Arizona so I was going to miss this show and I have been really bummed out about missing it . . . . but they going to have a "Free Live Streaming Webcast" of the full concert next Saturday night at 8 pm Eastern!! I've seen every tour that JM has ever played in the U.S. since my first show on the "Birds of Fire" tour in '73.
Can't wait till Saturday Night!! :beerchug:

https://www.jambase.com/article/joh...announce-free-webcast-featuring-4th-show-tour

Wow, Bob, that's an epic event not just for the music but also being the farewell tour !

Cool that you've seen each tour, and so many others, too. Did M.O. ever tour the "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" album year 1975 ?

If they did, it must've been something to see, as a different approach from the original classic lineup. Wish I could've seen both. Did they tour "Visions...", and if so, how was that one ? Always thought that album has the best ever from NMW, with lotsa other great notable albums he did in his career also.

Saturday nite sounds like a seriously fun listening session in the comforts of home with a favourite bottle of grog !

Cheers, Brother ! :beerchug:

Wow, Bob, that's an epic event not just for the music but also being the farewell tour !

Cool that you've seen each tour, and so many others, too. Did M.O. ever tour the "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" album year 1975 ?

If they did, it must've been something to see, as a different approach from the original classic lineup. Wish I could've seen both. Did they tour "Visions...", and if so, how was that one ? Always thought that album has the best ever from NMW, with lotsa other great notable albums he did in his career also.

Saturday nite sounds like a seriously fun listening session in the comforts of home with a favourite bottle of grog !

Cheers, Brother ! :beerchug:

Howdy Bro!!

I caught the "Apocalypse" tour in '74 and "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" in '75 and needless to say they were mind boggling concerts. Narada tore it up as you could well imagine along with Jean-Luc, Ralphe Armstrong and Gayle Moran. Steve Kindler was also in the "Visions" band.

The "Visions" concert was on a double bill with The Jeff Beck Group that just released "Blow by Blow". McLaughlin joined Beck's group for a blues jam finale to close out the evening!

Saturday night will be fun, I have some Oktoberfest Brews lined up to go with show.

Have a Good One! :thumbsup:

Larry Coryell ~ Spaces
Vanguard, 1970/1974

Larry_Coryell_Spaces_Vinyl.jpg
It's been quite some time since I've listened to this so I had to get mine out and give it a spin. Thanks for the reminder Bob!
Larry Coryell Spaces.JPG

Japan's closest thing to Tribal Tech:
Fragile - 1997 - Handle With Care
this band is exceptional, great drummer, bassist, and of course guitarist, fantastic.

Last edited:
Stanley never ceases to amaze, this most recent outing of his is excellent!
Stanlet Clarke - UP from 2014

featuring:
Stanley Clarke - Basses
Ronald Bruner - drums
Ruslan Sirota - keys
Beka Gochiashvili - keys
Mike Mitchell - drums
drummers Stewart Copeland, Gerry Brown and John Robinson;
keyboardist Greg Phillinganes; Phil Davis on synthesizer and keyboards;
Chick Corea on acoustic piano;
saxophonists Kamasi Washington, Doug Webb and Dan Higgins;
vocalists Jessica Vautor, Natasha Agrama and Patrice Quinn;
trumpeter Gary Grant and
trombonist Andy Martin on horns;
percussionist Lenny Castro;
Nick Mancini on marimba;
and the Harlem String Quartet with
violinists Ilmar Gavilán and Melissa White,
Jaime Amador on viola and
cellist Matthew Zalkind

cover.jpg

After seeing John McLaughlin in Buffalo last night as he kicked of his farewell US tour, I will be playing his music all day today, starting with this.
It was just released last month.

John McLaughlin & the 4th Dimension ~ Live at Ronnie Scott's ~ Abstract Logix ~ ABLX 058

john mclaughlin live at ronnie scotts.jpg

Back
Top Bottom