Show Us Your Sonys!!!

what nice setup. I am trying to make out what headphones and headphone amp that is??
I am not Sony 'literate"

Wow never seen these before, pretty bad ass. How do they sound?

I've still only had limited listening time with these and as they're my first set of "real" headphones, I don't really have a reference to compare them to.

That said, they are very light and comfortable to wear. I guess I'd describe their sound as balanced, clear, and revealing although I do have to crank the volume up quite a bit to get acceptable sound levels. I'm playing them through my restored STR6120 (~60wpc). On my Klipsch Forte's, I set the volume at 9-10 for typical listening levels while the headphones require a setting more like 12-1. I'm not sure if this is typical for electret headphones?

At any rate, I bought them because I wanted to try out some vintage headphones and frankly because they just looked so cool!

I've still only had limited listening time with these and as they're my first set of "real" headphones, I don't really have a reference to compare them to.

That said, they are very light and comfortable to wear. I guess I'd describe their sound as balanced, clear, and revealing although I do have to crank the volume up quite a bit to get acceptable sound levels. I'm playing them through my restored STR6120 (~60wpc). On my Klipsch Forte's, I set the volume at 9-10 for typical listening levels while the headphones require a setting more like 12-1. I'm not sure if this is typical for electret headphones?

At any rate, I bought them because I wanted to try out some vintage headphones and frankly because they just looked so cool!
I have a set of more modern set of Sony's headsets with a DAC built in. They sound good to my taste.
I drool over a set like yours, tho. I never knew Sony made electrostatic headphones. Mine look more like a plastic toy comparing to yours.

Work in progress. I'd like to get my hands on a Sony champagne TA E80ES and a PS-B80.
Current system:
Sony CDP-R1, DAS-R1, CDP-X779ES, DTC-2000ES, TC-K333ESA
Apple TV3 for airplay into DTC 2000ES
Technics SU-C7000 and two SL 1600MKII
Krell KSA-300S
Martin Logan SL II

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Just got a sony se-p900 today. Been looking for one at a decent price for a year now. Other Sony gears include a ps-6750, a tts-3000 in an all wood plinth, das-r1, cdp-xa7es, APM-4's.

Who has experience with performing modifications on a ta e88 pre amp regarding oscillation. It seems that a change to an r-c network in the amp solves an oscillation that can occur and really improves the sound of the amp a lot. I read about it some time ago on AK, but I cannot find any details on the mod.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom