SMSL M8A DAC listed at $179.99 for 3 more days

I'd get a DAC recorder for the same reason I'd get an 8 track recorder or a wax cylinder player. They are music reproduction oddities that would fill out my "museum" nicely.

I think he's just confused as to what it actually is and added "recorder" on there the same way moms of my generation called every video game system "nintendo" or "atari"...either out of confusion or just to be condescending.

I'd also like to ask him if he thinks these things are on the same level of a 8-track player or wax cylinder....then what does he expect people to play music back on the PC with. He might be one of those people who thinks playing music back on a PC is just stupid...which is his right...but why come and drop the acid in our pool? They're not even oddities...they're valid pieces of audio components that have been well established and existed for years. Sure...there are more of them now...but they're far from oddities.

AK4390EF chip. Probably sounds good, but isn't it a little on the expensive side?

A lot of competition in the $90 - $150 range.

Eric

AK4390EF chip. Probably sounds good, but isn't it a little on the expensive side?

A lot of competition in the $90 - $150 range.

Eric

Maybe, though it's a known fantastic performer. I find the S.M.S.L M8 to get quite a similar level of performance to my far more expensive Gustard DAC-X12.... Not quite as good though very close

I bought an M8a for my son as a Christmas present.
Had to put it into my system just be sure it was fully operational.
I was knocked out.
Even with the cheesy switching power supply it sounded great.
So I ordered another one for myself.
It will replacing an Oppo BDP-105.
Missed the massdrop on the M8a and am kicking myself over it.
At full retail this DAC is a massive bargain.

But I did scoop up a set of Sennheiser 6XX headphones on massdrop for my daughter.
$199!
Ridiculous.

art

Edit: My wife will be getting a nice 5v linear power supply from Santa this year. Christmas shopping done.

Last edited:
I missed the massdrop, thinking too much and hesitating with a used Teac UD-H501 wich is still more expensive (roughly $120 more). Adding cross atlantic postage made it a not so huge deal also.

For a USB only source to listen with an integrated amp (unbalanced RCA input) would you think ? Everyone seems to agree the M8A performs well once you give it a decent powersupply, the SMSL P-1 is another €140 added, that would put them at the same costs. I was thinking the Teac may probably resale easier on the next time I will want to upgrade

Back
Top Bottom