Boomboxes and Ghettoblasters

I wish I could find a really nice one. Doesn't really matter the maker it most are outrageous in price for a good one. Or if I know someone that has a nice one they aren't selling.

Can't say I'm into restoration (yet, never say never), but the reason I don't have any vintage audio gear from the 1980s is that my boombox essentially did it all well enough that I spent money elsewhere. The GE 3-5286 (http://classicboombox.com/ge-3-5286a)
had all I needed during my college years; room-filling power, good AM/FM reception, and excellent tape unit; did a lot of mix stuff on it. Gotta love a boombox w/a STD/CR02/METAL tape selector. About all it didn't have was a phono preamp, so I bought one and a turntable and was basically set until the 90s.

A better pic (not mine) from somebody's eBay listing:

I have one I saved it from the recycler, a Panasonic RX-5100 , It's in like new condition without a scratch on it.
Panasonic_RX-5100.jpg

'round here we pay a surcharge on new electronics and it goes to pay for the recycling of electronics. of course if you see something there that should be rescued...you can't :(

I had this one
tiki-download_file.php

It was a weird "thin" body boombox, not too much ornamentation, but the tape deck in it sounded as good as any dedicated home deck Ive had. Got in all the stations. Really well done piece. The tweeters were real. RCA inputs.
tiki-download_file.php

I think you could use it as an alarm clock, too.

But the BEST Ive had and would have again, was my first big purchase in 4th grade, the Sony CFD-510
sony-cfd-510-portable-ac-dc-stereo-boombox-cd-radio-cassette-equalizer-mega-bass-e8c264bf6b4eb2e9d40608cd85c554b1.jpg

Bass was excellent, those whizzer cone 4" were very good. They got the midrange right. Tweeters were peizo, and so I never heard much out of them, but I guess they were doing something. Good tuner, and a CD player that would read damaged CD's fairly well. I did a lot of work with this box.

In 2000, I bought its successor, the CFD-Z110. it was 1/2 the cost and looked different, but otherwise functionally and electrically identical, minus a balance knob. They dropped the whizzer cones from the speakers, and I didn't think they sounded quite as nice, but still pretty good.
sony-cfd-z110-am-fm-radio-cd-player-cassette-deck-stereo-boombox-parts-repair-7fc30ea83db527a9b0ab064869be4d17.jpg

But my Grail would be this guy here
A JVC PC series box that had the additional woofer built into the center section. These really delivered more than they promised on the sound front.
jvc-pc-x100-vintage-1990-s-am-fm-stereo-cd-dual-cassette-boombox-works-100-gc-4799e22253983cc48d71256492a81824.jpg

Id swap the JVC satellite drivers for Sony whizzer cone units though.

Last edited:
'round here we pay a surcharge on new electronics and it goes to pay for the recycling of electronics. of course if you see something there that should be rescued...you can't :(

They think of it as recycling the recycling I think. At least I do.

I always keep an eye out for boxes when I'm out and about but haven't seen a single one for sale. I'd love to get at least one just for old times sake. I would probably even buy a few tapes to go with.

hey all, my first boombox was a Panasonic rx-5100 1980.I thought is was the best thing ever cause i was 9. It ate d-batterys like crazy when playing tapes,but it did play well. Later got a Fisher with surround sound and bass boost dont remember model. Dont see these much anymore. thank you

Thread crapping takes place when a person makes a thread and articles one thing unlike the spirit/intent of thread, usually derailing the discussion or making it a disagreement

Very cool. Mine needs a bit of work. The plinth tray doesn't seem to wanna open and close without a bit of assistance. Future project

Back
Top Bottom