How old were you when you got your first McIntosh?

44 or 45 - after my dad past, I inherited his C20, MR65 & MC240. My best friend ended up with his MAC4100 and XR speakers ... getting dad’s tubes started me down the vintage tube slippery slope ...
You're father bestowed upon you the best in High Fidelity.

You're father bestowed upon you the best in High Fidelity.
Yes he did and in pristine condition cosmetically. I need to snap some shots of those pieces. Though I think I like the sound of the MC225s better, I would be hard pressed to let go to of my dad’s pieces ... he had them before he had me -lol!

at age 40 my wife suprised me with a brand new mc7300 for my b'day she drove 240 miles round trip and stashed it at a neighbors house told me to get a cup of sugar because she was making me a cake, heart attack. next was a c37, mr 78, later a c2200 a demo, lastly mcd 301 also a demo over the last 23 years the c37 is gone but the rest remains no kids, but the nieces and nephews are waiting for the wife and I to pass.Speakers are von sweikert vr 4s mk 2. im good now

My 10 yr old son is running my Mc2105 in his stereo system in his bedroom. He likes to watch the meters when listening to music. I have not really given it to him at this point, so not sure it it counts.

I got my first Mcintosh piece, an Mr67 at the age of 33. Traded in an Adcom amp and paid $180 cash from a stereo shop in San Diego. It is still my favorite Mcintosh piece of equipment, and I have quite a bit.

18. A gift from uncle. MC 240. The best. Now using it in my recording studio. Canton speakers. White instruments eq. Tascam digital console.

at age 40 my wife suprised me with a brand new mc7300 for my b'day she drove 240 miles round trip and stashed it at a neighbors house told me to get a cup of sugar because she was making me a cake, heart attack. next was a c37, mr 78, later a c2200 a demo, lastly mcd 301 also a demo over the last 23 years the c37 is gone but the rest remains no kids, but the nieces and nephews are waiting for the wife and I to pass.Speakers are von sweikert vr 4s mk 2. im good now
Did your wife pick up the amp and drop it off at the neighbor's house by herself? I need a refrigerator moved out of my garage. Can she come and help me?

I was 21, bought a used MC2100, a new C28, and a refurbed MR73. I still have them and use them regularly. My gear was purchased at Soundco Electronics in Ma. I saw that there was a gentleman here that purchased a tuner from Del Padre in Ma. They were competitors, but both had quality gear.

Kool.. It was 76 or 77 for me. Graduation year was 76 and I was going steady with the HS sweetheart. Seems like so long ago!
-Gregory

I was 19, about to turn 20 when I bought a new 2505 followed by a new C-28. I'm sure they were within 6 months of each other.
My appreciation for Mac started early. A good friends sister & brother in-law, who were 10 years older than me, bought a 1700 when I was about 15 or 16.
I was hooked then. It was just a matter of time.
Cool! Looks like we're the same age and took the plunge roughly the same time. I was just talking to my son last night about McIntosh (he's 32), explaining that it's been now a lifelong love affair with Mac gear. Throughout the many different units I've owned, it has served me well. No reason to ever look elsewhere.

19 years old(1974) C 8/C 8S & 2 MC 30`s that were offered for sale inexpensively, post a recent Mac clinic at the Dealer in South Miami, FL. whilst I was living there. :D
Turned out to be my first Mac gear purchase, plus, the first tube stereo equipment that I had ever owned at that time. :thumbsup:

Still have the amps, but my, now, next door B-I-L pressured me in the mid eighties to rework the C 8/C 8S preamps and build a external HQ PS for them and sell them to him..
He still has them, but hasn`t used them in the last few years. :dunno:

I`ve been a Mac head ever since, when desires/needs/finances and opportunities have presented themselves.

In 2016 with the rework of my MC 60 and it`s inclusion into my living room`s tri-amp`d system, finally allowed me for the first time to have a fully Mac speaker/amp setup since getting into HiFi in 1973.

Bedroom system became completely Mac. when I replaced my 2 mono`d (circa late seventies) Crown DC 300`s with 2 MC 1201`s in 2003.
Though the Mac XRT-18`s speakers in there sound very good, that system`s bottom end improved considerably when I placed 2 400 watt servo amp Velodyne ULD 15 powered subs in there, one next to each XRT-18 and voiced the system(RTA tuned with 1/3rd octave Equalizer`s) and became even better sounding when I upgraded it`s 1987 C 31V preamp to a C 220 tube preamp around 4 years ago.
Yeah, my bedroom system rocks me every morning as a required precursor to ingesting coffee !

Regards, OKB

I had refurbished a Mac1900 for a good friend a few years back.. a year ago he had dramatically downsized, and he thought I should own it..
Just tonight, he dropped off the original invoice for it.. It is unfortunate that he choose to buy it from DelPadre and not Soundco, but them's the breaks ;)

Attachments

• receipt_r.jpg
    receipt_r.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 13
$823 then is $4,711 now. Sounds about right, I guess!

I also note that Mass sales tax was 3% then.

Tom W1PF, I purchased my gear from Soundco at around the same time as your friend, later I did purchase some form Del Padre as Soundco closed it's doors. I followed Bob Cizek, "HI FI BOB". when he later went to work for Del Padre. I lived in Granby, Ma at the timel.

I was 21, bought a used MC2100, a new C28, and a refurbed MR73. I still have them and use them regularly. My gear was purchased at Soundco Electronics in Ma. I saw that there was a gentleman here that purchased a tuner from Del Padre in Ma. They were competitors, but both had quality gear.

What years did you buy those components? My dad was a manager at Soundco up until it closed. It was a real shock, he had worked there for ~20 years. Would be interested in finding the DATE Soundco went down if you know anyone with access to a business database like D&B. I believe it closed in 1975? not sure. What's worse is, after going away to the university and then off to a big city job, all of the receipts for electronics, cars and motorcycles, everything I bought in H.S. and junior college were lost. Only things that survived were a couple McIntosh Clinic data sheets and some binders with audio brochures and spec sheets.

-Greg

Last edited:

That guy was John (above with the Who avatar). I purchased my first Mc piece, a C26 from Del Padre in 76 or 77. That was 40+ years ago. Still have it today sitting on the shelf in the family room. John bought Mc gear in my home town (Springfield) and I bought Mc gear in his home town (Chicago).

-Greg

Back
Top Bottom